MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Yahara Bay Limoncello

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Yahara Bay Limoncello

Postby Marvell » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:06 pm

So - I had some people over for dinner on Saturday, and I wanted to have something special for people to sip on while they were enjoying their tiramisu. I was at Star, and I noticed a bottle of the new Yahara Bay distillery's limoncello.

So I copped it.

Was it a mistake? Well, yes and no - turns out that, straight out of the freezer, it's way more delicious and refreshing than something that's 60+ proof has any business being.

Next thing you know, the guests and I had polished off the entire bottle.

Good thing it's a small bottle.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:09 pm

I'll have to check that out. I love limoncello, and fresh out of the freezer is the only way to have it, in my opinion.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:41 pm

Glad to hear this is available now. I really liked their gin and vodka.
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Yahara Bay Limoncello

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:44 pm

Ever since reading this post way back when, I've been intrigued by this bottle. Never had limoncello, but Mario Batali makes it sound so good, as does Marvell. After reading the dismal review given to Danny DeVito's private label limoncello in The AV Club's Taste Test column, I felt it was time to search and spring for Yahara Bay's version.

I'm sipping the first glass now, straight outta the freezer and in a chilled glass. It's sweeter than I expected--less tart. I think I'd prefer more tartness, but I suppose liqueur-i-faction kills a lot of that flavor element.

It's good. Is it better than grapefruit juice, vodka, and Campari? Probably not. Better in the summer than Voyant chai liqueur? Probably. Is it worth $15 at Metcalfe's to take a shot on? Definitely. Like Marvell said, it's a small bottle. Good if you like it so you don't get totally wasted, good if you don't as much so you're not wasting it.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:45 pm

But what's the style? The first time I had limoncello, it was homemade by a chef who had lived in Capri. He told me, "By my experience, you will love this or detest it. There's no middle ground." It was so intensely lemony and bitter that it had to be served out of the freezer, and I immediately saw his point. It was overwhelming in just the right way. There was probably plenty of sugar hidden there somewhere, but what prevailed was an oily, lemon jouissance that seemed to enter by way of the foramen magnum.

I've had various store-bought limoncellos since then, the bottles usually plastered with various badges of authenticity, but they've always been essentially just lemony and sweet. Bleh! Bitter be better.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:42 pm

fennel wrote:But what's the style?

Very candy-esque. Looks most like this one from what I've seen.

Sweet (lemon) then heat (booze). Minimally bitter, by my estimation.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:55 am

It's super, super easy to make, and it makes a good mixer or dessert topping as well.

Now, it does look like pee in a jar for a while, but it's totally worth it :P
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:26 am

fennel wrote:There was probably plenty of sugar hidden there somewhere, but what prevailed was an oily, lemon jouissance that seemed to enter by way of the foramen magnum.

I always think that we should have some kind of end-of-year foron awards ("The Ronnies") and if we did, I'd nominate this as Sentence-of-the-Year.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:30 pm

Bitter is better IMO. And yeah, you can make it yourself very easily. My uncle makes it with cheap vodka. I prefer strega as a digestif. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strega_(liqueur) Sipped my first glass of strega on St. Mark's in Venice after a very good meal on my honeymoon. That glass was very expensive (live music charge), but the sight of an Asian-American tourist with serious pipes being brought up on stage to sing "O Sole Mio" with the band was worth it. Have had it maybe twice in the states.

Fuck grappa.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails