MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 15.0° F  Light Snow Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Great Taste of the Midwest 2008

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Postby gargantua » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:57 pm

I suck.

I've driven every year, since the early 90's without incident, to and from the Taste to Home.

I'm not being sarcastic when I say that.

i've done it. God help me, I have a high tolerance for alcohol. I'll grab a cab if I can.

I'm a Wisconsinite....with a high tolerance. So criticize me if you wish. See you there.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wanda » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:16 pm

gargantua wrote:I suck.

I've driven every year, since the early 90's without incident, to and from the Taste to Home.

i've done it. God help me, I have a high tolerance for alcohol. I'll grab a cab if I can.

I'm a Wisconsinite....with a high tolerance. So criticize me if you wish. See you there.

I hope the beloved cheerleaders who you might have happenstancely mowed down this year as you head home from the beer fest also rah-rah your tolerance. Or maybe it'll be a black kid and you'll get off lite.

If you have a need to go and inspect your car for potential dents the morning after you've awaken from a night of drinking, it's time you consider step one of twelve.
Wanda
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:29 am

Wanda wrote:

I hope the beloved cheerleaders who you might have happenstancely mowed down this year as you head home from the beer fest also rah-rah your tolerance. Or maybe it'll be a black kid and you'll get off lite.

If you have a need to go and inspect your car for potential dents the morning after you've awaken from a night of drinking, it's time you consider step one of twelve.

Nope, never happened.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:31 am

You say you've done it... I'd go out on a limb and say almost all of us have driven over the legal limit one time or another; but I doubt any of us would look back and make a justification for doing so because our "Wisconsinite" status.

I'm not sure which way you head home, but on Saturday late afternoon, in Madison, in the summertime, there are people out biking, walking, everywhere---now add the additonal inebriated people out walking and biking from the fest. Why even consider driving an option?
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:46 am

I have a high tolerance for alcohol too, but I'm not a Wisconsinite, nor am I stupid enough to use it as an excuse for driving or biking drunk. Hope the jury and the victim's family finds it "un-sarcastic" when you employ this weakass excuse...I think almost everyone on here will "wish" to criticize you, your post is selfish and moronic on so many levels.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:44 pm

I know the same thought rolls through my mind after a few, especially if I've started to come around a bit. And over the years I've never had an incident either, but that doesn't make it any less wrong. I think you realize that too, so I'm not criticizing. I am saying, though, lock your keys in the car and the problem is solved.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:47 pm

Hey, I did stipulate to sucking in my original post.

I stop drinking well before the event ends. I check with others before leaving, and if anyone says -"dude, you shouldn't drive", I don't. And, I park about a mile away and have to walk to my car.

So, if you believe that participating in this event is, in itself, reason not to drive....well, then that makes me an awful person. But the fact is that by the time I get back to my car I'm either not very drunk, or I'm leaving it parked overnight. Getting a DUI is not my idea of fun, so while I have a risk tolerance, it's not very high.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:51 pm

I agree that attending the Taste in and of itself is not an automatic No Drive situation - you could easily say the same thing about a Badger football game or the Mallard's Duck Blind. However, the stated purpose of the Taste is to sample beer, and every time I've gone I've become more intoxicated than I had planned. Knowing that about myself, I ensure that I won't be behind a wheel. If you know yourself and your limits, I think that's pretty valid. It's not really that different that driving home from a bar. But the whole "Wisconsinite & High Tolerance" is a common cop-out for people that drive when they shouldn't. I know, because I've used it before.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby baboocole » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:31 pm

Some words of advice:

If you want to use the free cab service, I highly recommend sending one person in your party (preferably the one who doesn't need to drink any more beer) to stand in line early. We had about 8 people with us last year. I got in line around 4:30 and didn't have to wait too long. I also managed to wrangle a van cab so that all of us could hop into one vehicle.
baboocole

Postby roadkill bill » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:39 pm

I'm a bit surprised that no one has posted a follow-up. What was the best or most interesting beer you had?
Did everyone get home without incident?
Besides beer, what else was interesting?

I bought tickets the day of from a guy with extras.
That never seems to be a problem. However, this year, I'm afraid I miscalculated the balance of beer, food, and sun. I was way drunker than usual, and wiped out by the sun, though not sunburned, thanks to SPF 50. Then I went to dinner with some friends and ate too much.

The most interesting taste of the festival was the Fallen Angel from South Shore Brewery. Serrano and black peppers gave it a very nice kick. Probably one of those beers that taste good in a 4 oz. portion, but not as a pint.

Maybe it was just when they were tapping a new keg, but both times I went by Three Floyd's, I couldn't get anywhere near the counter. Too bad, they usually have some good stuff. Does anyone in Madison serve that on tap?
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:50 am

I couldn't get near the Three Floyds counter either. They had a long line of folks waiting every time I passed. With so many other great beers around I didn't feel the need to wait there.

Great to see the cask ale tent back again. Many were delicious. Bonus was the tipsy brunette in the short skirt sitting on a table with her legs splayed.

I do recall Hop Haven had a great ale.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby saltman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:39 pm

Anybody else try the un-hopped "ancient ales"? I found them to be really interesting. Brewed with spices and juniper etc.

Spent the first hour and a half at the cask ale tent, it's great to sample something that you're familiar with served in a different way. All that yeast did make for a very fart-filled night though....
saltman
Forum Addict

Postby crevice beatle » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:27 pm

A couple things I hope are different next year: I will remember to bring a pen next year so I can make notes on the program. I also think organizers should consider handing out programs while they are giving out wrist bands to people in line - the advantage to this is fairly obvious. All that time waiting in line can be used to map out where you wanna go and what you want to drink first. As the crowd pours in, people just might spread out more quickly rather than grabbing the first sample they can.

I recall tasting an IPA referred to as "Sum Nug". While the flavor and scent of hops are similiar to that of cannabis, everyone I knew who tried it were astounded by the uncanny resemblance. It was extremely hoppy but somehow much smoother than one would expect. Unfortunatley, I do not recall the brewery that made it nor which state they were even from. I do remember that they have not started bottling yet and won't be until late fall.

I think I started to aquire a bit more of a taste for bourbon barreled beers this time around. Generally speaking I like them to be a bit softer (Like Tyrannea's version) rather than almost tasting altoghether like whiskey.

I also skipped the Three Floyds line altogether because every time I walked by there was a line 20 yards long. I know Come Back Inn has had Three Floyds on tap many times...but I have not gone there in at least a year and they rotate a few beers every week. I have also seen Hop Devil at Star Liquor and Jenny Steet Market.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby saltman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:32 pm

crevice beatle wrote: I also think organizers should consider handing out programs while they are giving out wrist bands to people in line - the advantage to this is fairly obvious.

Too heavy. Did you see how many boxes of those things there were?
saltman
Forum Addict

Postby crevice beatle » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:45 pm

saltman wrote:
crevice beatle wrote: I also think organizers should consider handing out programs while they are giving out wrist bands to people in line - the advantage to this is fairly obvious.

Too heavy. Did you see how many boxes of those things there were?

I suppose I didn't really notice how many boxes there were... but was it anything a couple of radio flyer wagons couldn't handle? I wasn't necessarily thinking distributing it to them to the entire line; perhaps maybe to the couple thousand that show up hours in advance.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails