MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Worst Movie Villains

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Worst Movie Villains

Postby supaunknown » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:08 pm

Our little Tuesday night movie-watching trio has been discussing the worst movie villains of all-time.
For my own criteria, no non-human characters were allowed (Alien, Jaws, etc), though the undead are given a pass. And no Nazis (too easy). Bonus for child molesters and/or killers. Points off for meansters that we develop sympathy for. Silly rules I know. Of course the list of possibles is long and mean and pretty far between, but here's my Top-10 (subject to change whenever someone reminds me of a character I've obviously neglected). Enjoy. I tried to pick some bad-ass mofos. And please add your own.

1) Stansfield
Gary Oldman
The Professional
"Death is... whimsical... today."

2) Frank
Henry Fonda
Once Upon a Time in the West
"People scare better when they're dying."

3) Brick Top
Alan Ford
Snatch
"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me."

4) Freddy Krueger
Robert Englund
A Nightmare on Elm Street series
"I'm gonna kill you slow."

5) Mr. Blonde
Michael Madsen
Reservoir Dogs
"Listen kid, I'm not gonna bullshit you, all right? I don't give a good fuck what you know, or don't know, but I'm gonna torture you anyway, regardless. Not to get information. It's amusing, to me, to torture a cop. You can say anything you want cause I've heard it all before. All you can do is pray for a quick death, which you ain't gonna get."

6) Supreme Chancellor Palpatine / The Emperor
Ian McDiarmid
Star Wars series
"You want this, don't you? The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger. With each passing moment you make yourself more my servant."

7) Shack
Ernest Borgnine
Emperor of the North
"But now I'm going to show you what happens to people who ride on my train without a ticket."

8) Cruella De Vil
Betty Lou Gerson
One Hundred and One Dalmatians
"Any way you like. Poison them. Drown them. Bash them in the head. You got any chloroform?"

9) Wicked Witch of the West
Margaret Hamilton
The Wizard of Oz
"Just try and stay out of my way. Just try! I'll get you, my pretty and your little dog too!"

10) Hedley LaMarr
Harvey Korman
Blazing Saddles
"I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists."
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:49 pm

Pretty terrible movie, but Jason Isaacs as Col. Tavington in The Patriot was pretty evil.

"Would you like a lesson, sir, in the rules of war? Or perhaps your children would?"

(that, of course, is the meanest quotation I can find on IMDB. I recall none on my own)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:48 pm

Sergi López as Captain Vidal in Pan's Labyrinth.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Starley » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:03 pm

Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men.

Saw it 10 months ago, and I'm still having nightmares.
Starley

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:52 pm

By worst villain, do you mean BEST villain, or worst villain as in least-effective, stupidest villain?

In the latter category: Jason Alexander as Boris Badenov in The Bullwinkle Movie
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby El Chifa » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:59 pm

Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer
El Chifa

Postby butters » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:20 am

bluethedog wrote:Sergi López as Captain Vidal in Pan's Labyrinth.

Nope. I think you're thinking of David Bowie as Jareth the Goblin King in Labyrinth. That was pretty bad.
butters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:29 am

Clarence Boddicker (Kurtwood Smith) in Robocop -- the baddest bad-ass in a bad-ass movie full of bad-asses.

Alan Raimy (John Glover) and Bobby Shy (Clarence Williams III) in 52 Pick-Up -- true sleazebags, the way I've always imagined real criminals to be.

Phyllis Dietrichson (Barbara Stanwyck) in Double Indemnity -- pure ice.

Henry F. Potter (Lionel Barrymore) in It's A Wonderful Life -- what a fucking dick.

Mrs. Iselin (Angela Lansbury) in The Manchurian Candidate -- truly evil, unscrupulous, manipulative bitch. Throw in the whole incest thing and... well... ick.

Michael Corleone (Al Pacino) in The Godfather films -- just because you live by some sort of code doesn't mean you ain't a complete son of a bitch. Unlike most on this list who are both aware of and comfortable with their evil, he's lying to himself, which might make him seem more sympathetic, but his brutal acts speak for themselves.

The Witch from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs -- I actually haven't watched this in years, but I was terrified of her evil as a child.

The Gemini Killer (Brad Dourif) in Exorcist III -- to be sure, it's probably easy to be evil when you've got a direct line to Satan, but even still... {creeeeeeeeeeeepy!}

Noah Cross (John Huston) in Chinatown -- the male equivalent of Mrs. Iselin above. Can you imagine anything this guy wouldn't do?

Hans Gruber (Alan Rickman) in Die Hard -- as you can probably tell, I like my villians cold and diabolical.

The Reverend Harry Powell (Robert Mitchum) in The Night Of The Hunter -- simply chilling.

KHAAAAAAAAAAANNNN!!!! (Ricardo Montalban) in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan -- he may be campy and over-the-top, but can anyone doubt his pure, cold, calculating evilness? Could've ruled the universe if it weren't for his damn obsessiveness.

Annie Wilkes (Kathy Bates) in Misery -- evil as pure unstoppable obsession.

Bad Lieutenant (Harvey Keitel) in (wait for it) Bad Lieutenant -- Most. Truthful. Movie. Title. Ever. So fucking what if he's redeemed or saved or whatever the fuck happens at the end of that movie -- for the other 90 minutes, he's probably the single worst person on Earth.

Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg (Gary Oldman) in The Fifth Element -- I wanted to include Oldman somewhere, and this is as good a choice as any. There's a fine line between being extremely eccentric and just plain evil, I guess.

Harry Lime (Orson Welles) in The Third Man -- the fact that he's so amused by his complete lack of caring for his fellow human beings assures his inclusion here.

Lord Of Darkness(Tim Curry) in Legend -- a shitty-ass film, to be sure, but a better devil I've never seen. Have you?

The Unseen Force (Itself) in the Evil Dead movies -- 'nuff said.

And seconds for Fonda in Once Upon A Time In America (first seen massacring a family, culminating in the cold-blooded shooting of a small boy in the face point blank!), Mr. Blonde ("Right now, Mr. Blonde is the only one I completely trust. He's too fuckin' homicidal to be workin' with the cops!"), Shack (also introduced via a cold-blooded murder), the Wicked Witch of Oz (she has flyin' fuckin' monkeys, fer crissakes!) and Bardem in No Country For Old Men.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby magic moose » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:19 am

Wayne Rooney in Ferris Bueller
magic moose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:53 am

The 2 drifters at the beginning of A History of Violence.

To a lesser extent, William Hurt's Richie Cusack.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:01 am

This list needs more Westerns, so I nominate these two fellas:

Jack Wilson (Jack Palance) in Shane and Liberty Valance (Lee Marvin) in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (Marvin's suaver, but no less of an evil jerk, in The Big Heat.)

Oh, and I totally forgot about Mr. Joshua (Gary Busey) in Lethal Weapon -- he should be on this list.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:10 am

Technically this breaks your "no non-human characters" rule but is probably still within the spirit of it:

Ian Holm's Ash in Alien.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:12 pm

The Adventures of Robin Hood

Basil Rathbone's

Sir Guy of Gisbourne

a very old-fashioned and satifying ending, almost as if in his astonished last moment Sir Guy could almost say Oh, you got me!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:43 am

That dude in Fahrenheit 9/11? Bush? Total dick.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zevulon the Great » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:03 am

Archibald Cunningham (Tim Roth) in Rob Roy. A unique, well-rounded character to be sure: devious, cruel, charmingly rakish and a fop, yet a bit of a brute. I didn't know whether to cheer or weep at his death scene.

Alonzo Harris (Denzel Washington) in Training Day. The unpredictability of this character kept me on edge up until the very end of the movie.

The Joker (Heath Ledger) in The Dark Knight. The ultimate comic book villain finally reached his full potential in this film. A Mephistopheles for the masses: highly intelligent, violent, intense, sociopathic and philosophical. Also provided much-needed comic relief at points. It's too bad we'll never get a chance to see this character played quite the same way again."Whatever doesn't kill you only makes you...stranger."
Zevulon the Great

Next

Return to Movies