MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 15, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

What is your best dining experience in Madison? Worst?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Postby Zloduska » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:06 pm

dstol62 wrote:hmmm....add "anger management" disorder.

Oh yeah, because it's really nice to be treated like less-than-human when you are a new poster to a public forum. It's personally insulting to be told I should not be allowed to contribute to a discussion when I have something topically appropriate to add, for reasons that I have no control over. To hell with you too then if you think I am over-reacting. I deal with shit because of this every day of my life and I don't need to take even more crap from ignorant assholes. My original post answered the damn question at hand; I gave an example of shitty service (rude, amateur waitstaff) and I just happen to also have different dietary needs, that wasn't the main point, it was the irony that a restaurant that goes out of it's way to offer a special product is so awful when it comes to providing it. But I guess you just want something to complain about, right?

When you post a general theme with a very general question, you can't act like an elitist bastard and censor every single discussion that is not exactly to your liking or you don't find interesting. Not every post can be just fascinating to every reader, DUH. Start your own damn blog or BBS if you don't like what I have to say.
Zloduska

Postby Zloduska » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:08 pm

Garimba wrote:
I would have put "Go to hell" in all caps too and made it bold but yours is a good and sincere fucking crazy as well.

SALUD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gluten: A newly discovered cause of mental disdorders, sometimes.

Sorry if I went off topic, somebody must have slipped a gluten roofie into my drink.

"Gluten roofie?" Gee, that's hilarious and clever, for a pathetic attempt at an insult.

Oh my god, I made a TYPO, for christ's sake, that must mean I'm dumb. Actually, it's more proof of how incredibly immature you are, to poke fun of me for something so irrelevant instead of considering my point, then continue on and make fun of a serious illness. As a matter of fact, since you are obviously extremely ignorant-- gluten is not a newly discovered cause of mental illness, in fact it's been known for awhile that it can cause neurological problems such as epilepsy, ataxia, chronic fatigue, and severe depression. There were times before I was diagnosed that I was so suicidal and tired of being sick that I almost offed myself but I realized there was some underlying cause I couldn't comprehend. Isn't suicide and depression just HYSTERICAL?! I guess it is when you're a sadist.

Why is it when you pricks make comments about how the service and food was awful or great at a particular restaurant that it's just part of the conversation, but when I contribute in the same way and discuss the topic at hand, I'm unfairly labeled a "whiner"? Then someone complains about how they are sick of all the allergy posts, blah blah, when I made ONE SINGLE POST that included the fact that I have a gluten-free diet, that's somehow intolerable and overkill. I didn't even see a single post in the thread where someone mentioned a special diet; the topic was best/worst dining experiences in Madison, I chime in with my two cents, I get two nice people who reply, then attacked by idiots.

I think I have every right to be pissed off when I'm just making simple commentary and recommendations of restaurants, and I get made fun of, someone belittles my serious illness, and get treated like shit for absolultey no reason; but most of all it's the astounding ignorance I find most frustrating. I joined this forum because I read the paper and then stumbled on the website and found some threads to be amusing and informative. But I also have witnessed a lot of people acting like high school bullies and just throwing insults at one another. If I wanted to associate with a group of narrow-minded, self-righteous dickheads, I would have joined the Republican Party or some religious fundamentalist sect. Obviously trying to defend myself to irrational and heartless people is pointless; you ass clowns can go back to drowning kittens and throwing rocks at children with Down Syndrome, since you seem to find laughing at suffering so goddamn entertaining.
Zloduska

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:13 pm

Is Sheppy back or is this for real?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chleppr » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:39 am

Zloduska wrote:Sorry, I didn't mean to insult you. Your post could have been taken as sort of sarcastic kvetching, or as some kind of arrogance that is a pet peeve of mine-- when I see narrow-minded Midwesterners bitching about Hispanic people and how they all should automatically learn English, when their culture is something very important in my life, and being bilingual is my livelihood. So it was basically a knee-jerk reaction. No harm intended, amigo.

Apology accepted. BTW...my sincerest sympathy on your health issues. Many don't understand the pain and frustrations you deal with on a daily basis. Best of luck to you.
chleppr

Postby Garimba » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:51 pm

Zloduska wrote:
Garimba wrote:
I would have put "Go to hell" in all caps too and made it bold but yours is a good and sincere fucking crazy as well.

SALUD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gluten: A newly discovered cause of mental disdorders, sometimes.

Sorry if I went off topic, somebody must have slipped a gluten roofie into my drink.

"Gluten roofie?" Gee, that's hilarious and clever, for a pathetic attempt at an insult.

Oh my god, I made a TYPO, for christ's sake, that must mean I'm dumb. Actually, it's more proof of how incredibly immature you are, to poke fun of me for something so irrelevant instead of considering my point, then continue on and make fun of a serious illness. As a matter of fact, since you are obviously extremely ignorant-- gluten is not a newly discovered cause of mental illness, in fact it's been known for awhile that it can cause neurological problems such as epilepsy, ataxia, chronic fatigue, and severe depression. There were times before I was diagnosed that I was so suicidal and tired of being sick that I almost offed myself but I realized there was some underlying cause I couldn't comprehend. Isn't suicide and depression just HYSTERICAL?! I guess it is when you're a sadist.

Why is it when you pricks make comments about how the service and food was awful or great at a particular restaurant that it's just part of the conversation, but when I contribute in the same way and discuss the topic at hand, I'm unfairly labeled a "whiner"? Then someone complains about how they are sick of all the allergy posts, blah blah, when I made ONE SINGLE POST that included the fact that I have a gluten-free diet, that's somehow intolerable and overkill. I didn't even see a single post in the thread where someone mentioned a special diet; the topic was best/worst dining experiences in Madison, I chime in with my two cents, I get two nice people who reply, then attacked by idiots.

I think I have every right to be pissed off when I'm just making simple commentary and recommendations of restaurants, and I get made fun of, someone belittles my serious illness, and get treated like shit for absolultey no reason; but most of all it's the astounding ignorance I find most frustrating. I joined this forum because I read the paper and then stumbled on the website and found some threads to be amusing and informative. But I also have witnessed a lot of people acting like high school bullies and just throwing insults at one another. If I wanted to associate with a group of narrow-minded, self-righteous dickheads, I would have joined the Republican Party or some religious fundamentalist sect. Obviously trying to defend myself to irrational and heartless people is pointless; you ass clowns can go back to drowning kittens and throwing rocks at children with Down Syndrome, since you seem to find laughing at suffering so goddamn entertaining.

"you're a sadist, you pricks, narrow-minded, self-righteous dickheads, you ass clowns, drowning kittens and throwing rocks at children with Down Syndrome"...

I could have used some of this in my review of Jolly Bob's! :-)

I apologize Z. I really didn't mean anything personal.
Garimba
Forum Addict

Postby Elliot » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:06 pm

Why do you think you're so special? Just about everyone gets abused here, so take YOUR self righteous attitude and stuff it up your ass.
Elliot
Forum Addict

Postby Zloduska » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:52 pm

Elliot wrote:Why do you think you're so special? Just about everyone gets abused here, so take YOUR self righteous attitude and stuff it up your ass.

I'm not being self-righteous, and I'm not special. The point was that I should be allowed to put my two cents in the conversation like everyone else and not be ostracized and told I have to take my opinion elsewhere because something I can't control is a problem for them. It was a very rude 'welcome', so I defended myself and responded in kind. What irked me the most was the blatant arrogance of one person dictating what should and should not be discussed in an open forum, because it doesn't appeal to them. Well guess what, some people are more interested in hearing about service at particular restaurants than the menu, and vice versa. To each his/her own. That's the damn point, and to bitch at and insult others for merely chiming in is highly immature.

And just because some posters choose to act like middle-school bullies rather than adults and randomly attack others, does not make it right, nor should it be acceptable behavior. I thought the point of the bulletin board was to exchange ideas and opinions. Hence my anger when I'm told 'Your opinion is boring; you're a whiner, blah blah". Some people here seem too dense to understand that, so whatever.
Zloduska

Postby Zloduska » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:57 pm

Garimba wrote:"you're a sadist, you pricks, narrow-minded, self-righteous dickheads, you ass clowns, drowning kittens and throwing rocks at children with Down Syndrome"...

I could have used some of this in my review of Jolly Bob's! :-)

I apologize Z. I really didn't mean anything personal.

Oddly enough, despite so many people trashing Jolly Bob's, my experience there was OK. The waitress we had was brand-new, and made mistakes, but was very nice about it and gave us a free drink. The food was alright I guess; they only had one vegetarian entree, but I did like the salad with the tropical fruit-flavored dressing. I'm also a sucker for tall, knock you on your ass alco-smoothies. I doubt I would go back there for dinner though. I'd prefer going down the street to Jamerica for some plantains and the Mango Rundown Tofu, very simple yet satisfying. And cheaper.

And thanks for apologizing. I guess it really struck a nerve for me because the topic was so personal. I've been through a lot of horrid stuff because of celiac disease, but I just make sure to watch those shows on the National Geographic Channel and TLC and remind myself that, hey, at least I'm not the girl with 8 limbs or the boy with the donkey face, so I'm not too bad off in comparison. ;-)
Zloduska

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:29 pm

Zloduska wrote:...at least I'm not the girl with 8 limbs or the boy with the donkey face, so I'm not too bad off in comparison.

A little sensitivity, please. I've totally got a donkey face.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Garimba » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:28 am

Ducatista wrote:
Zloduska wrote:...at least I'm not the girl with 8 limbs or the boy with the donkey face, so I'm not too bad off in comparison.

A little sensitivity, please. I've totally got a donkey face.

Cutest little donkey face you ever did see though.
Garimba
Forum Addict

Postby towanda » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:35 am

Veeder wrote:
towanda wrote:Service can make or break a dining experience.

Yes, I agree. BUT, I want to hear about service for the majority of people who eat there. To put it bluntly, I neither care about nor want to read about how they treat people's obscure allergies/dislikes/phobias/manias/etc.

Start a gluten-free service thread.

I wasn't talking about having an allergy or gluten problem. Mst recently, I was talking about extraordinarily craptastic service and bad food at Takara. Maybe you enjoy being served a stick instead of asparagus and having restaurant staff argue about it with you instead of fixing the problem. Go start an I-love-crappy-service thread.
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby chleppr » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:59 pm

towanda wrote:Worst: Carlos O'Kelly's and the unlamented Firefly. Both were quite possibly the worst restaurant meals I have ever had.

Carlos O'Kelly's: Our first restaurant dinner in Madison, when we were apartment-hunting and had not actually moved yet. The vegetarian "burritos" turned out to be melted Velveeta mixed with cheapass salsa wrapped in stale tortillas. Ew.

Carlos O'Kelly's is closed. Apparently the staff showed up one morning to a closed business with no warning.
chleppr

Postby towanda » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:28 pm

Wow. Sucky for the staff.
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:53 am

I'm writing this under a worst experience although it was probably not my "worst" but I couldn't find a Sardine thread.

We ate at Sardine last night and it was excellent. We sat on the outdoor patio and it was very comfortable and relaxing and the lake was beautiful even with the parking lot framing the bottom of the view. But being asked to pick up and move inside after 10:00 was absolute crap. I don't blame the restaurant and you can tell the waitstaff isn't comfortable bringing it up, but if I had been halfway through my skatewing instead of contemplating an after-dinner drink, it would have sucked a whole lot more. I had thought it was odd that we got our food a little too quick but now I realize they were hoping that we would have time to finish. I assume this is some rule the city has created to protect the residents next door from the loud obnoxious sounds of people eating oysters.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eatingaround » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:28 pm

narcoleptish wrote: We ate at Sardine last night and it was excellent... But being asked to pick up and move inside after 10:00 was absolute crap... I assume this is some rule the city has created to protect the residents next door from the loud obnoxious sounds of people eating oysters.

In fact, it is a self imposed rule, negotiated by the city on behalf of the residents of the Fauerbach. It used to be earlier, they used to make you go in by 9pm, if memory serves. But because the oyster eaters have been well behaved, they are allowed out later.

The early patio close was the only way that Sardine was able to procure the patio in the first place. The Fauerbach is very powerful and was reluctant to see the patio go up at all.
eatingaround

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews