Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Good Scotch seliction?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Postby boston_jeff » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:57 pm

Canadian whiskey they call rye.
Scotch whisky they call whisky.
Irish whiskey they call whiskey.
American whiskey we call bourbon or whiskey.

Its all whiskey, but I don't think its inappropriate at all to call it Scotch or Scotch whisky here in the US. I do have a friend who lives in Edinborough that insists its just whisky, so I see your point, but we're not in Edinborough.

Mac 12 is a very good choice...my favorite all around single malt for cost and quality. Try the 18, its phenomenal. I agree with you on Islays as well, if anything they are a bit better on the rocks. But Speysides (like Macallan) and highlands are my faves. Single malts from those regions aged in sherry or bourbon casks are usually very good.

Don't discount Irish whiskey, much of it is also very nice. I have a Jameson Reserve 12 that I'm working on that I purchased at the distillery in Dublin. Very comparable to the Macallan flavor. Regular Jameson, Bushmills, and Black Bush are all excellent whiskies for the price as well.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:08 pm

boston_jeff wrote:I do have a friend who lives in Edinborough that insists its just whisky, so I see your point, but we're not in Edinborough.

Yea well, I wish we were. I wish we were having this discussion at Deacon Brodie's on the Royale Mile over a pint of McEwens. I like how you spelled Edinburgh phonetically.

I hang out with a bunch of Scottish lads too. Blessing and a curse.

How about Glenmorangie 10? That's a decent highland malt.

Speaking of Scotch, Lake Louie's Warped Speed Scotch Ale is a force to be wreckened with. It's on tap at The Freakuency.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:24 pm

I like the Glenmorangie, I also enjoy Balvenie and Dalwhinnie (spelling the Scotch stuff isn't my strong suit).
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:56 am

Bunny Chow wrote: Oh, and when I'm driving the Jaguar, yes, I call it a boot. That's mostly because there is a little light on the dash that tells you when "the boot" is open.

So, are you the jackass that ruined that wedding?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:40 am

I've had more than a few Irish whiskies at Brocach but I've never ordered anything high-end anywhere else. Most places I'll just order a J&B and water and hope that it comes close to how I like it mixed. I don't usually go with high-end drinks at dinner because I find I drink them too fast and don't really appreciate the flavor. I prefer to have a nice bottle at home that I can really savor.

I'm growing more into the taste of the single malts, especially Speysides. However, I will always have a love for Chivas Regal - it is just so smooth and delicious.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:40 am

narcoleptish wrote:
Bunny Chow wrote: Oh, and when I'm driving the Jaguar, yes, I call it a boot. That's mostly because there is a little light on the dash that tells you when "the boot" is open.

So, are you the jackass that ruined that wedding?

Not my Jag, one I get to use when I'm in L.A. It's a terrible car, I think it's a 2001 3.0. Already needed a new trannie. The old Jags are much better and way better looking.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:42 am

wallrock wrote:I've had more than a few Irish whiskies at Brocach but I've never ordered anything high-end anywhere else. Most places I'll just order a J&B and water and hope that it comes close to how I like it mixed. I don't usually go with high-end drinks at dinner because I find I drink them too fast and don't really appreciate the flavor. I prefer to have a nice bottle at home that I can really savor.

I'm growing more into the taste of the single malts, especially Speysides. However, I will always have a love for Chivas Regal - it is just so smooth and delicious.

We have a new spelling now? Whiskies? I agree about the Speysides. Macallan is a speyside I believe.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:16 pm

Bunny Chow wrote:We have a new spelling now? Whiskies? I agree about the Speysides. Macallan is a speyside I believe.

I'm no expert, but wouldn't that be the plural (no matter the singular spelling)?

I've never tried Macallan but I've had friends praise it as being a favorite. I mainly have gone with Glenlivet and Glenfiddich, and a good friend of mine always has a bottle of Balvenie on hand. I've tried Laphroaig a couple of times but it's a bit much for me. I think that is an Islay whisky though, which I've been told are "peatier" than Speysides.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:52 pm

wallrock wrote:
Bunny Chow wrote:We have a new spelling now? Whiskies? I agree about the Speysides. Macallan is a speyside I believe.

I'm no expert, but wouldn't that be the plural (no matter the singular spelling)?

By George, that is correct! Where's Archipants when I need him? Just struck me as funny. Like Lil' Friskies.

Yea, Islay is peatier. IMHO, undrinkable. I have to put that stuff in coffee with a ton of cream and sugar.

Laphroaig is what Prince Charles prefers, so there ya go.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Archipants » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:28 pm

Bunny Chow wrote:Where's Archipants when I need him?

Did I hear someone call Grammarpants?

Let me preface this by saying that I know very little about Scotch or whisky - but I do know what I like.

I've been drinking Macallan 12 for a couple of years now. I've dabbled with others, but with the price of some of the better Scotch out there, I will usually put my money on what I know I like. I noticed that the 12 year has scored fairly high... even compared to some of its pricier, longer aged alternatives...

As far as the blended Scotch whiskies go - I used to drink JW Black Label, but after tasting others, felt like it was more of a mixer than a sipper. I bought a bottle of the Green Label two years ago (at the time I didn't even know they had a Green Label) and really couldn't stand it, though I still managed to finish it with some help. I've never tried the Gold or Blue Label... but wouldn't mind if someone bought me a glass sometime!

I had a Macallan at Sardine a few weeks ago. I zeroed in on the 12 year and didn't notice the rest of their collection. Anyone else had luck there?
Archipants
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:29 pm

wallrock wrote:

I've never tried Macallan but I've had friends praise it as being a favorite. I mainly have gone with Glenlivet and Glenfiddich, and a good friend of mine always has a bottle of Balvenie on hand. I've tried Laphroaig a couple of times but it's a bit much for me. I think that is an Islay whisky though, which I've been told are "peatier" than Speysides.

Any Glen will do, eh? Try the Mac 12, its like Balvenie, only better. Laphroaig and Lagavulin are my favorite Islays, but only on the rocks and only when I'm really in the mood. Speysides and Highlands are much preferred neat.

We need to get some local place to have a Macallan tasting, one of the more informative spirits-related lectures I've ever been to (plus you get free Macallan swag and pours). The Macallan rep is amazingly informative and knowledgeable, also he's pretty entertaining for a former Buckingham palace guard. You learn all about how all whisky is distilled, the four regions of Scotland and their flavors, and of course the particulars of the Macallan operation. Kicks the shit out of those corny Johnny Walker tastings with the guy in the kilt.

FWIW, they call it single malt scotch whisky, http://www.themacallan.com/
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby McSwain » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:37 pm

boston_jeff wrote:We need to get some local place to have a Macallan tasting, one of the more informative spirits-related lectures I've ever been to (plus you get free Macallan swag and pours). The Macallan rep is amazingly informative and knowledgeable, also he's pretty entertaining for a former Buckingham palace guard. You learn all about how all whisky is distilled, the four regions of Scotland and their flavors, and of course the particulars of the Macallan operation. Kicks the shit out of those corny Johnny Walker tastings with the guy in the kilt.

FWIW, they call it single malt scotch whisky, http://www.themacallan.com/

I hope this works out, I've been to a couple in Chicago and it's not only good fun, but a great way to learn and meet new folks.
McSwain

Postby Archipants » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:38 pm

boston_jeff wrote:We need to get some local place to have a Macallan tasting, one of the more informative spirits-related lectures I've ever been to (plus you get free Macallan swag and pours). The Macallan rep is amazingly informative and knowledgeable, also he's pretty entertaining for a former Buckingham palace guard. You learn all about how all whisky is distilled, the four regions of Scotland and their flavors, and of course the particulars of the Macallan operation. Kicks the shit out of those corny Johnny Walker tastings with the guy in the kilt.

Barriques holds scotch tastings from time to time. They're Monroe street location has decent selection. I always wanted to give it a try... perhaps next time. I would be nice to learn a little bit while I taste.
Archipants
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:49 pm

Archipants wrote:

Barriques holds scotch tastings from time to time. They're Monroe street location has decent selection. I always wanted to give it a try... perhaps next time. I would be nice to learn a little bit while I taste.

I've heard that too, maybe if someone hears about one, we can post it up here.

The Mac tasting I went to was huge, probably at least 200 people there, held in a swanky hotel salon with catered appetizers, a powerpoint lecture, and placemats with four tastings as well as crackers for palate cleansing between courses. It was sponsored by the MIT young alumni assoc. so I'm not sure if they had to pay anything for it. Maybe I will write to Macallan and see if they would come out to Madison.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:21 pm

Bunny Chow wrote:We have a new spelling now? Whiskies?

Why didn't you pick up on selictions?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails