MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Where is Henry Vilas?

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

Where is Henry Vilas?

Postby Madsci » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:18 pm

My guess is that he is in Madison.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:29 pm

Shouldn't that be Where in the world is Henry Vilas?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:33 am

Not planning to leave the country until Dec. Then a week in St. Martin, FWI. Gourmet capital of the Caribbean. While I'm more of a trencherman than a true epicure, you can't beat the restaurants in Grand Case.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:46 am

fennel wrote:Shouldn't that be Where in the world is Henry Vilas?

THE WARRANT!
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:42 pm

That could be. I commonly ruin the punchline.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:47 pm

Madsci wrote:

That could be. I commonly ruin the punchline.

My mom could always ruin a good joke for the same reason. My wife can't tell a joke either.

Go back and edit the topic title if you want.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:04 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Not planning to leave the country until Dec. Then a week in St. Martin, FWI. Gourmet capital of the Caribbean. While I'm more of a trencherman than a true epicure, you can't beat the restaurants in Grand Case.

St. Martin is one of my dream destinations, so I'll wish you a pleasant vacation by seething with mock envy!

Did you find a good deal? I'm not asking how much, but since you've been traveling so much, I'd like to know if you have any tips on shopping for bargains.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:47 pm

mrak wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Not planning to leave the country until Dec. Then a week in St. Martin, FWI. Gourmet capital of the Caribbean. While I'm more of a trencherman than a true epicure, you can't beat the restaurants in Grand Case.

St. Martin is one of my dream destinations, so I'll wish you a pleasant vacation by seething with mock envy!

Did you find a good deal? I'm not asking how much, but since you've been traveling so much, I'd like to know if you have any tips on shopping for bargains.

I booked our flights way early and avoided fuel surcharges, checked baggage charges and other nickle-dime-dollar fees. I just hope US Airways doesn't go under before this coming December.

I constantly read the postings at traveltalkonline.com, as their St. Martin/St. Maarten board is very informative. Lots of seasoned travelers contribute.

I won't tell you how many times I've been to that wonderful island, so as not to add to your envy. It's not cheap (especially with the Euro on the French side) but I've been to many islands in the Caribbean, and it is my favorite.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:49 am

Henry sorry to threadjack, but what was the name of the park and fly hotel near MKE that you recommended to me before? I am leaving for a beach trip to NC in a few weeks and I wanna book.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:07 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Henry sorry to threadjack, but what was the name of the park and fly hotel near MKE that you recommended to me before? I am leaving for a beach trip to NC in a few weeks and I wanna book.

I can field that one, Jeff, I just parked-and-flew from there last weekend.

It's the Wyndham Milwaukee Airport. I checked my receipt and there's no phone number on it, so you'll just want to head to wyndham.com or parksleepfly.com (which I used).
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:13 pm

Appreciate it.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:18 pm

Wow, fully booked for my date, any other park and fly hotels at MKE?
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:19 pm

I've also stayed at the Hampton Inn near Mitchell Field. Not as nice as the Wyndham (nee Four Points), but it would do. Good shuttle service and if memory serves, while it doesn't have a restaurant, there is one right next door. Haven't stayed there in a number of years.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:38 pm

Back to my favorite island, St. Maarten/St. Martin. Ms Vilas and I will be spending a week there (French side) in early December.

The following accident report, from the Dutch side paper, will give you a feel for the island. One of the reason I like it so.
Iguana causes accident, dies while crossing road

ZAGERSGUT--An iguana unwittingly set off a chain of events that led to its death and left two vehicles badly damaged and two persons needing medical attention as it crossed Zagersgut Road on Sunday.

When a Toyota Corolla driver stopped to allow the iguana to cross safely, the Kia driver behind swerved to avoid rear-ending him, accidentally slamming into the side of a Daihatsu Terios in the process.

The collision knocked the Terios onto its side on the sidewalk and it hit the iguana as it fell to the ground. The reptile survived the initial blow only to be crushed by an ambulance racing to the scene.

Hope the two people needing medical attention are doing OK and RIP to the iguana. Island driving can be risky. It's one of the lesson of Herman Woulk's Don't Stop the Carnival, a great study of island life from an American perspective.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Where is Henry Vilas?

Postby Madsci » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:14 pm

I wonder where my big brother is off to now.

Hopefully he is not on one of the cruises that sunk or got stricken with Norovirus.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Travel