MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Gaming in 2008

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby uwstudent » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:04 pm

Mercenaries 2: World in flames
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Wed May 14, 2008 10:11 am

A lot of companies have been doing Gamer's Day events in the past few weeks and I'm officially adding Gears Of War 2 and Left 4 Dead to the want list.

This might be the year I get a PS3 and then I'm sure I'll end up with Resistance 2 and Little Big Planet

Nintendo still has their fall schedule WIDE OPEN (like they even need a game to sell more Wii) but I've heard nothing but great things about Boom Blox so maybe these spring hits will hold them through the summer.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed May 14, 2008 10:19 am

TAsunder wrote:The blue shell is similar to double dash, in that it floats in the air and then blows up, and can't really be dodged.

The basic issue is that you can almost never retain the lead with the aggressive itemization in the game, and thus it becomes a game of luck and less of skill.

First, you can't dodge the blue shell, but the 3 seconds it floats above you before exploding are so you have a chance to slam on the brakes and get closer to your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place rivals. You're going to get hit anyway, might as well take them all out, and it also insures they won't pass you as you all recover.

The rubberbanding feels harsh and the items are brutal... but its not a true racer. Its never been one. You can go into time trials for true racing. I found I got the gold cup and star ratings for the courses from the classic games a lot easier and I think its because I already knew all the shortcuts and tricks. The AI and items don't change in those courses. The new ones you just have to get used to the subtleties and find the right path with the right items. I lost a lot when I first started, now I just got gold cups across Mirror mode in one try. Its not really noob friendly at all, since great success and unlocks are only achieved with lots of practice.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:18 pm

We're officially into the second half of the year, and the big titles are starting to roll.

Too Human releases tomorrow, which has been in development since the playstation 1. reviews have been mixed, but generally positive. Hope to get a copy to report on soon.

The Force Unleashed is next month, but a demo will hit Live and PS Network on Thursday. In spite of this new Clone Wars cartoon renewing my disappointment converted to hate of Star Wars, I remain optimistic that LucasArts will deliver something worth playing.

Nintendo... has dirt for 2008. Animal Crossing is their only "core" game and its something I've tried and given up twice now. The Wii will collect dust this fall.

This year is turning out to be less than the huge year 2007 was, but thats ok because I get to catch up and play whats in my backlog.

The first half of the year with Mario Kart, Burnout, Smash Bros, and Soul Calibur has provided enough fun to last me through the end of the year. But I hope I can get some more meaty single player stuff.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:54 am

Shipley wrote:Too Human releases tomorrow, which has been in development since the playstation 1. reviews have been mixed, but generally positive. Hope to get a copy to report on soon.

I downloaded the demo and it just didn't do anything for me.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:40 am

Let's not forget Spore on 9/7, Fallout 3 yet this year, and against all odds I'm still holding out hope for Fable 2!
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:36 am

I'm the only person in the world not fascinated with Spore.

I'd forgotten about Fallout and Fable. those will scratch that narrative itch.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:25 am

Entertainment Weekly's 13 Fall Videogames We Can't Wait to Play:

Tales of Vesperia (Xbox360)
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames (PS2, PS3, Xbox360)
NHL 2K9 (PS2, PS3, Xbox360, Wii)
Spore (Mac, PC)
Viva Pinata (Xbox360)
NBA Live 09 (PS2, PS3, PSP, Xbox360)
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (no platforms specified)
Lego Batman: The Videogame (PS2, PS3, PSP, Xbox360, Wii, DS)
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway (PS3, Xbox360)
Rock Band 2 (Xbox360 initially, PS2, PS3, Wii to follow)
Midnight Club: Los Angeles (PS3, Xbox360)
Fracture (PS3, Xbox360)
Tom Clancy's Endwar (PS3, PSP, Xbox360, DS)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:14 am

I have my doubts about Hell's Highway, as its yet-another WW2 game, and against another Call of Duty... Gearbox makes good games, and the guys behind the new CoD Treyarch don't so much, but the name recognition is in CoD's favor.

Viva Pinata? Already bombed twice, I can't see myself picking up a third try.

LEGO Batman will likely be a better outing than LEGO Indy.

I'm shocked to see Gears Of War 2 is not on the list, thought I expected Wii to be showing light.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:20 am

Now, I know that Wii is not a hardcore gaming platform. But this list seems remarkably light on Wii titles.

Is that representative of the market, or of the platforms owned by the EW.com writers?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:23 am

A little of both. The Wii is pretty light on titles now not to say that won;t pick up at some point. I still enjoy mine but since getting the PS3 I don;t play it as often. That will wear off and I'll be able to better split what little time I have to play games at all. That list just kind of sucks is also part of the problem. Hockey? Really? I like Hockey games just fine but to put it on a list like this is a little weak. Maybe they just didn't have the time and resources to put something proper together.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:48 am

I'll have to issue my own holiday picks or something.

Wii played their hand way too early this year is the problem. Smash bros and Mario Kart came out in March and April, respectively. And Wii Fit came out early too. That leaves Animal Crossing the only 'big' Nintendo title. This is not to say Nintendo won't continue to sell Smash and MK through the end of the year, but to guys like me who buy on week 1, it doesn't leave a lot to get excited about. Last fall they had Mario Galaxy, which is still the best game for the system, and should continue to sell to anyone getting a wii this fall.

Nintendo is getting lost. they've got this huge audience of people who bought the system for Wii sports, and they're scrambling to sell those people more games (because the attach rate says they're definitely NOT buying more games), and at the same time they're missing out on their hardcore audience with not having a new property to show. Granted they lost the hardcore community to Playstation 10 years ago, but Nintendo's already released a Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Mario Kart, Smash... what have they got left to show? The persistent rumor that they'll have a Kid Icarus update was smashed last month when they announced nothing of the sort. Even if its in development, it'll come in 2009.

Microsoft doesn't have as much to rally around this year, because Gears 2, Fable 2, and Too Human might all be good, but their not like Bioshock, Halo 3, and Mass Effect were last year.

The team to beat this time out is Sony. Playstations growing pains are starting to subside, and they've got Little Big Planet, which will be THE GAME TO PLAY this year. Resistance 2 will fill the diet of the shooter crowd, and while Metal Gear solid 4 is an extended mindfuck, its still one of the better reasons to own the system. And they're getting Bioshock in October, which I'd be fine awarding Game Of The Year to again. A lot of titles come to PS3 and 360, so third party support is already there.

One thing is for sure: there is no winner and will be no winner. the PS2 and PS1 and the Genesis, and the NES each ruling their generations with an iron fist, that era is OVER. This is the most expensive and divided generation of consoles, and weakness on the machines are few. No matter who you side with, you'll be getting some great stuff, but missing out on great stuff.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:54 am

I'll just keep peppering this thread with the questions that come to mind. With this one, I googled it first and found nothing.

I've been told by a friend--who is generally more plugged in to the rumor mill on gaming than I am--that Nintendo's going to release an improved Nunchuk that has better and more sensitive motion sensors.

True/False/Unfounded?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:27 pm

With Wii Sports 2, Nintendo will release "Wii Motion Plus" which is an adapter to your existing wii-mote that will allow for more accurate and nuanced motion control.

In other words, the remote will work exactly like you thought it was supposed to work when they announced the thing 3 years ago.

Bad news: games need to be programmed to take advantage of this tech, and Nintendo notified none of their 3rd party developers in advance of their announcement at E3. LucasArts, with 2 Star Wars games (Clone Wars and Force Unleashed) in development was the most vocally upset with being left out as they're too late in development to reconfigure controls to take advantage of the new tech, which would deliver a 1:1 lightsaber simulation.

Also, you'll get one free in Wii Sports 2, but need to buy more for extra players to use. Hopefully they'll build it into new remotes in the future to avoid having to buy a remote, an adapter, and a nunchuck (likely over $60) just to add a player.

I know way to much about this stuff...
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:23 pm

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games