MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 80.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Android Phones (Google OS)

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Android Phones (Google OS)

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:58 pm

This article claims they'll be here by end of the year.

The first - or one of the first - possibly HTC "Dream". Touchscreen + Qwerty...

Long as they move on from T-Mobile rather quickly after the end of the year, I might just have to wait.

Plus, you know, it doesn't cost me anything to wait ;)
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby marcopolo9 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:04 pm

I'm still debating iPhone, but holding off for Android is tempting. I do work with macs though, so I have a feeling an iPhone would integrate into my life nicely, but I dunno if AT&T would.
marcopolo9

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:04 pm

I've seen a couple of articles about this today as well. Nice that there will be options but initial reports are that the OS is no where near as friendly as the iPhone and a lot of developers are jumping ship. That's what happens when you are a good 2 years behind the curve. Is Google turning into Microsoft?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:19 pm

IS Google really 2 years behind or do they have the benefit of 2 years of seeing what iPhone has done wrong?

Google has yet to let me down with a product. I look forward to seeing what Android finally does when its released (though I won't switch until the reviews are in)
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:20 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I've seen a couple of articles about this today as well. Nice that there will be options but initial reports are that the OS is no where near as friendly as the iPhone and a lot of developers are jumping ship. That's what happens when you are a good 2 years behind the curve. Is Google turning into Microsoft?

Uhhh, yeah. Nobody said the iPhone was "behind the curve" just because somebody else designed a mobile OS 5 years before they did...

Open Source is the key here. Useful apps will appear for Google's OS far faster than they did for Apple.

The only developer issues I have seen are complaints that Google was not staying on top of SDK updates, and favoring certain developers with beta SDKs. The popularity and flexibility of the devices is what will really drive app development. I don't have any real doubts about Google's ability to make it a success.

Even if they're a ways behind, a few affordable Android devices being sold cross-network has a better chance at market saturation than the approach Apple has taken. Once a few million get out there, the apps will start to fly out.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:36 pm

Once a few million get out there, the apps will start to fly out.

And how many iPhones will be out there by the time this all takes place? And do you think Apple is sitting around idle not coming up with something even better? All I'm saying is go ahead and wait. and wait and wait. by the time the Android OS is real it may or may not be any better. The iPhone is out there now and if you were an early adopter by the time you are done with the contract there still might not be a single Android phone on the market. I'm also a little tired of hearing about not wanting to switch to ATT. Everyone seems to be in love with some other carrier. Let me tell you I've been on them all. Verizon isn't any better. US Cell isn't any better. None of them are any cheaper. They all have shitty customer service. Well US Cell isn't so bad but their coverage doesn't go outside the midwest.

It doesn't matter what you get. If you wait there will no doubt be something on the horizon for you to wait for and then you like Microsoft and Google will always be 2 years behind copying Apple. Which is fine. go ahead and take an idea and refine it and make it better. No problems with that but at this point no company is bothering to innovate.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby freeloaner » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:41 pm

I'm interested to see what Google can bring to the table with a more open model of development. Apple's oddly totalitarian attitude of secretive NDAs, remote software deactivation, and general propriety is a little off-putting. However, gated communities do have nice lawns.
freeloaner

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:43 pm

Open is a good thing. A mobile SPAM machine is not. Lets hope somebody finds that balance. I think the thing is I am a Mac user and despise all but the most tightly secured PC's.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:38 pm

meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:11 pm

I've had US Cellular for 9 years and I don't go much out of the Mid-west. It ALWAYS works.

I've had friends on Sprint. Coverage sucked. Same for a few other carriers.

So will I jump on AT&T with a huge-ass question-mark on coverage? Hell no. Not for more money and the same contract my consistently-reliable company gives me. No fucking way.

WHY is Apple locked to exclusivity with AT&T? I see no good reason for ANYONE to do this, except to force another company to pony up for part of your costs and that just sounds like bullshit to me. If it's so good, why won't people pay full price?

Android is not locked into ANY provider - OR PHONE!!!! - one provider/phone may make it first to market, but that's just timing. They aren't going to try to extort some carrier into paying them billions of dollars to be the only one to carry their proprietary hardware. Less to lose, more to gain.

I'm willing to cut any company a lot of slack for offering a flexible and capable PLATFORM, and trusting in the consumers and enthusiasts to make something of it. I trust in that model. I don't trust AT&T and Apple. I trust Joe Schmoe programmer who wants his device to do the same shit I want mine to do. I'm willing to put up with a few hiccups here and there to support that guy, assuming it does what I need it to do.

So go suck Steve Jobs' dick. Just don't hold it against me if I want to make damn sure there's no other option before I choke down that little pixie stick.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:40 pm

Here's a demo of the prototype.

Yes, that is Quake running on OpenGL - the graphics basis for Android.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:24 pm

Beer Moon wrote:Android is not locked into ANY provider - OR PHONE!!!!

That's for sure.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:17 pm

fisticuffs wrote:And do you think Apple is sitting around idle not coming up with something even better?

Yes, I'm sure the next generation mind-blower will be released the minute the R&D geniuses at Apple figure out how to suck another few hours of life out of their battery.

Why do you fanboys have to show up and make a fucking contest out of everything? The title of the thread is pretty clear. If you have nothing to add but corporate rah-rah bullshit, piss off. And if you don't think you're insulting Beer Moon (and anyone else who might be interested in what Google is up to) every time you shit on one of his threads like this ... well, then it's no wonder you don't understand why some of us find you iEvangelists so fucking annoying.

Is Google the new Microsoft? Shit, is that really all you've got? Because that's flat-out fucking idiocy, pal.

And yes, I own a Mac. Know what? Ubuntu had most of the OS X features covered years ago. For free. Write off open source all you want, it just makes you look like an ignorant ass. But maybe that's just truth in advertising, huh?
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:30 pm

Please someone go find me ONE thread about something Apple related that hasn't been shit all over by some hater. Go find it. it doesn't exist. Like the Android OS. I'm sure it will be great and I'm sure there'll be dozens of carriers and dozens of phones. All I'm saying is it's all derivative all inferior. It may be more open but tell me how well that works when one of your good small developer friends turns your Android phone into a walking identity theft ad machine. Not Everything Apple did with this phone was meant to screw the Kool-aid drinkers out of money. Most of it was done so that they could deliver a product that was secure and stable. I'm sure some of it was but guess what they're in business.

Meanie being a mAc user do you really want a phone that works like a windows machine with 50 pop-ups and virus scanners jumping out at you every time you fire the thing up just top have it freeze and restart or would you prefer a phone that doesn't crash, works the way it is supposed to and keeps your data safe from Joe Developer.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:32 pm

Beer Moon's done his share of sass-posting in Apple threads to date. Threadshitting goes both ways, Mean Scenester, and your angry defense post isn't immune.

(EDIT: Jinx, fisticuffs)

As for the subject at hand, not everyone finds build-your-own-OS an appealing feature. Some might find it intimidating. Others would probably say that they might take a flyer on Ubuntu or the like, except that most of the value of the system would be wasted on someone who doesn't know how to program. Even more others might tell you that they like the representative democracy feel of buying something from Apple (or hell, from Microsoft); consumer gives support, company provides an appealing service.

I wonder why you still own a Mac if you're so angry with Apple.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games