MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 22.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Worst Movie Villains

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Postby magic moose » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:24 am

bluethedog wrote:Technically this breaks your "no non-human characters" rule but is probably still within the spirit of it

nevermore wrote:That dude in Fahrenheit 9/11? Bush? Total dick.
magic moose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby towanda » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:07 pm

Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawfod in Mommie Dearest
Bette Davis as Baby Jane Hudson in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
John Malkovich as Mitch Leary in In the Line of Fire
Fred MacMurray as Lt Tom Keefer in The Caine Mutiny
Jeremy Irons as the Mantle twins in Dead Ringers
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby pjbogart » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:49 pm

Dwight Yoakam as "Doyle," the demented and abusive boyfriend in "Sling Blade."
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:39 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Pretty terrible movie, but Jason Isaacs as Col. Tavington in The Patriot was pretty evil.

"Would you like a lesson, sir, in the rules of war? Or perhaps your children would?"

Forgot about that dude. He meets the criteria perfectly. Great performance too.

El Chifa wrote:Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer

Henry got knocked out of contention cuz it's based on real-life serial killer Henry Lee Lucas. My list is filled with fictitious evildoers, so no Gacy, Dahmer, Hitler, etc.

Kickin' myself for not including Javier Bardem. That dude is ice cold.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:48 am

butters wrote:David Bowie as Jareth the Goblin King in Labyrinth. That was pretty bad.

My wife told me that Labyrinth, and specifically David Bowie's form-fitting outfit, were her introduction to cock as a young lass.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:59 am

The killer in "Dirty Harry" has always taken the cake for me.

As a kid, the scientists dressed up as astronauts right when they bust into Elliot's house on "E.T." were the baddest of bad.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:08 am

Zevulon the Great wrote:Alonzo Harris (Denzel Washington) in Training Day. The unpredictability of this character kept me on edge up until the very end of the movie.

That character was deep. There were glimmers of humanity and hints at his kinder-hearted past. But for the day we see him he's a desperately calculating sonofabitch. He probably would've made the list if he'd actually used his own son as a human shield in the apartment shootout.

Zevulon the Great wrote:The Joker (Heath Ledger) in The Dark Knight. The ultimate comic book villain finally reached his full potential in this film. A Mephistopheles for the masses: highly intelligent, violent, intense, sociopathic and philosophical. Also provided much-needed comic relief at points. It's too bad we'll never get a chance to see this character played quite the same way again."Whatever doesn't kill you only makes you...stranger."

Great baddie. He almost made my list. I loved how his only motivation in life was to fuck things up.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:28 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Alan Raimy (John Glover) and Bobby Shy (Clarence Williams III) in 52 Pick-Up -- true sleazebags, the way I've always imagined real criminals to be.

The scene where the scumbags show Scheider the snuff video they made with his mistress (Kelly Preston) in order to blackmail him is painfully dark.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Michael Corleone (Al Pacino) in The Godfather films -- just because you live by some sort of code doesn't mean you ain't a complete son of a bitch. Unlike most on this list who are both aware of and comfortable with their evil, he's lying to himself, which might make him seem more sympathetic, but his brutal acts speak for themselves.

Too sympathetic a character for me. Yeah, he's a diabolical fuck - the scene where the senator is drugged & led to believe he brutally killed the hooker is telling of how far Michael's willing to go, but he's such a reluctant gangster - thrown into his role because of heir apparent Sonny's death and Fredo's weaknesses. Still, you're right, he shows a knack for it.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Bad Lieutenant (Harvey Keitel) in (wait for it) Bad Lieutenant -- Most. Truthful. Movie. Title. Ever. So fucking what if he's redeemed or saved or whatever the fuck happens at the end of that movie -- for the other 90 minutes, he's probably the single worst person on Earth.

He's more pathetic than villainous.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg (Gary Oldman) in The Fifth Element -- I wanted to include Oldman somewhere, and this is as good a choice as any. There's a fine line between being extremely eccentric and just plain evil, I guess.

What a great movie. Love that scene where he's calmly smoking a cigarette outside the business meeting he'd just left as it explodes behind him. Gary's Old Man has excelled at playing a slew of villains. His Dracula was deliciously hammy.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:The Unseen Force (Itself) in the Evil Dead movies -- 'nuff said.

Maybe I should've mentioned that only bipeds are listable? But I guess that qualifies The Unseen Force because it could simply take over someone's body ...
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:34 pm

Chad / Aaron Eckhart from "In The Company of Men" gets my vote. I know he's a lightweight compared to serial killers and such, but I found his character to be quite villainous.

At the opposite spectrum, if you actually meant worst as in poorly done, I'm going to go with the whatever-it-was evil guy from Krull. It was basically a crappy Halloween mask and some mirrors.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Exploding Pinto » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:56 pm

When I was a kiddie, the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was as scary as it got.
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:26 pm

Lash Canino from The Big Sleep.

F. Murray Abraham's Bernardo Gui from The Name of the Rose.

Piper Laurie's Margaret White from Carrie.

Peter Lorre in M.

Charles Laughton's take on Dr. Moreau from Island of Lost Souls.

And, last but certainly not least...

Bolo Yeung in pretty much anything.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:37 pm

Wow, kudos for whipping out Bolo like that. I guess Ernie Reyes Jr. would make your heroes list. "AH-CHA!!"
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:27 pm

TAsunder wrote:Wow, kudos for whipping out Bolo like that. I guess Ernie Reyes Jr. would make your heroes list. "AH-CHA!!"

My buddy Guillermo studied under Ernie Reyes.

Needless to say, Guillermo tops the list of 'personal acquaintances I'm least likely to fuck with.'
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:00 pm

All the mummies!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:01 am

Louise Fletcher's Nurse Ratched.

Perfect re-creation of most of my grade school teachers. I woulda strangled her too.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Movies