MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Lobster

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:41 am

Hank_Venison wrote:
boston_jeff wrote: Red Lobster? Seriously for your birthday, you deserve better (I can guarantee that none of it is fresh).

So the tank full of live lobsters in the lobby is just for show?

I didn't realize they boiled live lobsters there. My bad. All the lobster tail dishes are most likely not prepared with fresh Maine lobbies. I don't know if the price on a fresh Maine lobster dinner would be low enough to get over that Red Lobster ambience...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:42 am

TAsunder wrote:The Blue Marlin has or had steamed whole maine lobster for ~$50. Some posters here have reported that their quality of food in general has declined in recent years, though.

Not in my experience it hasn't.

This would be my pick.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:30 am

http://mclaughlinseafood.gourmetfoodmall.com/

To a Mainer, the idea of going to a fancy joint and dropping $50+ on a lobster is a joke. No one here would do that. Instead, we'd go to a place like McLaughlin's and pick up a couple of bugs and make 'em ourselves. Earlier this summer we got three chicken lobsters (1 to 1.25 lbs) for $20, and they were excellent. And they're incredibly easy to cook; even a complete putz in the kitchen like me couldn't ruin 'em. If we had to go out for them, we'd go to a lobter pound, which is basically a shack near the ocean with a whole lot of lobsters in a tank, just off the boat. You can get a lobster dinner there for ~$20-$25. Fancy it ain't.

Of course, since you're not in Maine, the latter is not an option. My suggestion in that event would be to have some frozen lobster tails sent out. Cheaper than shipping a whole live lobster, and since the tail is where most of the good stuff is anyway, you won't miss out on much. Yeah, it will be frozen, but I don't think the quality will diminish that much compared to the price differential.

The thing with the live lobsters in a tank is that they'll have had their claws banded together to prevent them from using them to attack one another. When the claws are banded for an extended period (and those in a tank in the midwest will likely spend more time with their claws banded than they will here), the meat inside atrophies, meaning there's a good chance you'll get a lobster with a big, mostly hollow claw. Then you'll feel ripped off.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:43 am

boston_jeff wrote:If its just the lobster tail, its most likely not fresh. I would give Blue Marlin a try. If they are advertising a full Maine lobster, its probably flown in fresh.

The menu actually says live. So I'm guessing it's pretty fresh, save for any "claw atrophy".
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:44 am

Lobster and clam shacks are the shit! Woodman's (not that Woodman's) is the best for sure, but I grew up going to Newick's. Sad to hear they are closing.

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/ ... 30met.html

I agree that cooking them up yourselves with steamers and corn is the cheap way to go if you are local, but I disagree about the tails being the best part. Some of the best meat is in the claws, and part of the fun is picking out the meat in the legs and the body as well.

If you decide to do it yourself, have the entire lobster shipped from Woodman's http://www.woodmans.com/ or Legal's http://shop.legalseafoods.com/index.cfm ... /cid/10135 . Otherwise, buck up for the Blue Marlin, its your birthday! Fifty bucks in WI for lobster is not as ridiculous as 50 bucks in Maine.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:49 am

TAsunder wrote:
boston_jeff wrote:If its just the lobster tail, its most likely not fresh. I would give Blue Marlin a try. If they are advertising a full Maine lobster, its probably flown in fresh.

The menu actually says live. So I'm guessing it's pretty fresh, save for any "claw atrophy".

If I ever get the craving and can't wait until a trip home I'm going there. The live lobster is the way to go.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:42 pm

You had to bring up Woodman's didn't you, Jeff. Now I have a major jones for fried clams. Thanks a bunch.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:44 pm

O.J. wrote:You had to bring up Woodman's didn't you, Jeff. Now I have a major jones for fried clams. Thanks a bunch.

Sorry, this is painful for me too!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gemini child » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:51 pm

Best all you can eat King Crab legs deal is up at Ho-Chunk on Wednesday nights. It's like $24.95, or something like that.
gemini child

Postby doppel » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:46 pm

As good as lobster tail that I've ever had in any local restaurant, is at Toby's Supper Club, 3717 S Dutch Mill Rd., Madison. It's right by the storage tanks on the way down HWY 51 towards McFarland. Very reasonably priced and the last time I went they give you homemade frosted cinnamon rolls with your meal. The atmosphere is small town, but the food is defiantly downtown.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Lobster

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:31 pm

Blue Marlin lobster is excellent. No drawn butter for dipping, but there seemed to be butter on the meat anyway. Worth every penny IMO.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Re:

Postby Bunny Chow » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:44 pm

Hank_Venison wrote:Not all you can eat, but it says you can order as many pounds as you like at $10/lb:

http://www.madcitycrabhouse.com/

what kinda crab is that? snow, stone, dungenous, king.....?
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Re:

Postby Bunny Chow » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:46 pm

doppel wrote:As good as lobster tail that I've ever had in any local restaurant, is at Toby's Supper Club, 3717 S Dutch Mill Rd., Madison. It's .

Oh man, you are bringing up some memories. My next outing is going to include Toby's.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Lobster

Postby mock_talks » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:29 am

I'm not sure about the lobster...haven't had much luck finding a good lobster meal around here. I haven't been to the Blue Marlin in years either so if you go and try it make sure to make a post about your experience so we know if we should head back there soon.

I'm looking for a place for New Years and lobster may be a good choice for that too.

As for crab legs...not sure about all you can eat, but the king crab legs at the Avenue are awesome, and they are so filling a pound is more than enough. I know on Saturdays they have a deal where you can get a half a pound of the crab and a piece of prime rib for a decent price. I'm not sure if that deal runs on other nights as well.
mock_talks

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews