MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

La Fin du Monde

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Postby Rosemary » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:29 am

gargantua wrote:Sign me up.

Gotta tell you this story.....I had a Maudite at the Map Room in Chicago a couple of years ago, served in a Maudite glass. Loved the beer, but when I inquired about buying the glass, I was told they couldn't sell them. I hung around for a couple more beers, and on my way out someone had wrapped up the glass and they just gave it to me.

Stories like that, plus my own experiences, are why I love the Map Room. A friend of mine who lives in the western suburbs has said that Maduro is our Map Room. No, Maduro doesn't have that loooong tap & bottle list, but Vanessa cares about beer, and it shows in her selections, glassware, and service. I find Maduro to be as equally comfortable as the Map Room, though they certainly have different vibes going on. However, Maduro doesn't have Woody, the old guy who polices the weekend buffets at the Map Room. One Woody is enough in the world. :)

Now, who's been to Hop Leaf in Chicago? I could see a place like that succeeding in Madison...
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby Flat_Atom » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:09 am

They have La fin de Monde at that new Irish Pub "Erins Snug" out on American Parkway towards Sun Prarie. They officially open this Monday Aug. 6. Got to go to a sneak peak of the place on Wed. night. Great bar & beer selection...food is good too.
Flat_Atom
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fin du Monde

Postby steveo » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:14 pm

I here chimay on tap at wonders this wed?

boston_jeff wrote:Its good stuff, their wheat beer is excellent too, can get both at Star Liquors on Willy Street too. The best of that style are Delirium Tremens, Duvel, Chimay, and Leffe, but I think that my French Canadian relatives do right by the Belgian recipe...puts Stella Artois to shame!
steveo

Postby meifumado4 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:25 pm

La Fin Du Monde & Maudite can both be found at Cafe Montmartre. Dexter's Pub has them as well as few other Unibroue beers. The Monroe Street Bistro just opened and they will be carrying a selection of Unibroue beers too.
meifumado4

Postby Brainraid » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:29 pm

So myself and the misses had a road trip to Quebec this July and had a quick stop at Unibroue and a beer at the restaurant on Lake Chambly where their gift shop and local beer sales are held. Ephemere from the tap on a beautiful Friday afternoon was a highlight of our summer. Don de Dieu, Raftsman, Quelque Chose, Seigneuriale and Unibroue 17 are all in my basement right now awaiting their corks to be popped. Anyone get to try the hopless beers from Kuhnhenn at the Great Taste? The juniper & spruce ale was unreal.
Brainraid

Postby agyoung » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:04 pm

Someone mentioned needing a Belgian beer bar...we have one. Brasserie V on Monroe. Also, at any given time Maduro and The Malt House have 6-10 Belgian beers on tap...some of which easily outshine the Unibroue line up. That being said, Unibroue provides a great entry into Belgian and Craft beer. Almost forgot, I think the Local has 3 or so Unibroue taps...or at least they used to.
agyoung

Postby bill6beers » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:46 am

There are 6 true Belgians on tap at The Malt House (9/6/08):
Chimay Triple (Cinq Cents or white cap)
Corsendonk Abbey Brown Ale
Duchesse de Bourgogne
Blanche de Bruxelles
Kasteel Rouge
Pauwel Kwak
Those six lines will always be real Belgians though the selections will vary. Cantillon Iris is in house and waiting its turn.

There are also 38 varieties of Belgians in bottles currently. Seven Unibroue varieties are available, including LFDM -of course- plus many more North American-made Belgian style brews. Right now O'so Brewing's saison is on tap (from Plover, WI), plus Jolly Pumpkin's tart weizen bier.

Bill
bill6beers

Postby wallrock » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:08 am

I came across La Fin Du Monde at Neil's in Middleton, which was a slight surprise. I'd tried a Unibroue at Brasserie V but I don't recall if it was LFDM. Regardless, I certainly enjoyed the beer and thought it to be very well balanced. I did pick up a slight metallic aftertaste, not necessarily unpleasant but an abrupt ending. Overall a top-tier selection. I'm liking the trend toward Belgians though I still maintain my allegiance to German lagers.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails