MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 28.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

La Brioche #2 ?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

La Brioche #2 ?

Postby redrose » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:00 am

Has anyone been to this new La Brioche restaurant in university station? I'm a bit confused why they chose to repeat the name of the already established local bakery, but whatever... and also not sure what kind of food or atmosphere etc they have going. I haven't been able to make it over yet so I thought I'd ask around before making the effort....
redrose

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:08 am

They chose the name because people would have wondered why La Brioche closed on Midvale.

(it's the new location of the same thing, opened right after Labor Day. sorry to cite the competition: http://77square.com/food/restaurants/story_304322)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:45 am

I've gotta say, I'm so in love with their morning rolls, stocked at Sentry and Willy Coop, I'm glad to know they're at University Station. It took a long time for them to get their new sign up.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby redrose » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:45 am

ohhhh I didn't realize it was the same place...
redrose

Postby NullDevice » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:42 am

How's their menu look? They didn't have a full menu yet when I was there - they just had a (very floridly-written) brunch menu.

I have high hopes, but I fear they may overreach. Their bakery is tasty, I hope it doesn't get overshadowed by an attempt to be a restaurant/wine bar/piano lounge.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: La Brioche #2 ?

Postby blunt » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:13 pm

redrose wrote:Has anyone been to this new La Brioche restaurant in university station? not sure what kind of food or atmosphere etc they have going. I haven't been able to make it over yet so I thought I'd ask around before making the effort....

It's a mere particle in a strip mall wave filled with hushed tones that ricochet off goldenrod formica tempered by soft breads and subtly spiced with the sweet anise-like fragrance of asphalt from the freshly paved parking lot, and only a short waft away from My(your)Menu, a frozen foods store which seems perfectly attuned to your fear of the unfamilar.
Last edited by blunt on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:44 pm

Dayum.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:09 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Dayum.
Nah. Too close to Harry Belafonte on a banana boat. But maybe "Daaaaamn," as in Damn, your booty don't stop.
(Requires browser plug-ins to be enabled.)

... an exemplar of the western musical canon, no? It put Ypsilanti on the map, if nothing else. (That and "Rosie the Riveter.")
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:31 pm

I defer to my brethren and sistren at Urban Dictionary: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dayum
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:50 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I defer to my brethren and sistren at Urban Dictionary: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dayum
Spoken like a hayseed undergraduate first visiting the reference desk.

[Sorry, the broad side of that barn just beckoned for a broadside.]
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby redrose » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:27 pm

I looked at their menus. Breakfast, lunch and dinner seven days a week (plus sat/sun brunch) is quite ambitious! They have frittatas, omelets, waffles, and oatmeal.. soups, salads, sandwiches and pizzas... tapas, a variety of entrees (salmon, duck, steak, pasta, etc.), and desserts.

However, I have yet to eat anything. Just stopped in a grabbed menus.

Therefore, to be continued...

NullDevice wrote:How's their menu look? They didn't have a full menu yet when I was there - they just had a (very floridly-written) brunch menu.

I have high hopes, but I fear they may overreach. Their bakery is tasty, I hope it doesn't get overshadowed by an attempt to be a restaurant/wine bar/piano lounge.
redrose

Postby Ashley » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:07 pm

I stopped in La Brioche for a baguette because I love bread. The baguette was cheap ($1.20!) but strangely, it had a soft crust! Some of the baguettes on display were even wilting, so to speak...how strange that a place that prided itself on bakery goods would have a baugette with a soft crust.
Ashley
Forum Addict

Went there a couple if nights ago

Postby kissyfish » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:04 pm

I have to say, that it reminds me a lot of the Ovens of Brittany in the 80s-early 90s.

The staff were helpfull, but still seemed to be figuring out how to run the place, which is understandable considering the newness of the place.

The food was EXCELLENT! Had corn chowder, LOVED IT!

Had a steak, LOVED IT! but it was tiny.

Sister had a salad, it was waaay too big! But good.

Scallops, LOVED IT! but only two for $15 (or $12).

The breakfast menu looks good too!

I will be back, I am hoping they can work on the portion/price ratio a bit, but I would reccomend the restaurant.
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Re: Went there a couple if nights ago

Postby lolagirl » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:49 pm

kissyfish wrote:I have to say, that it reminds me a lot of the Ovens of Brittany in the 80s-early 90s.

With good reason - the owner of La Brioche was one of the owners of the Ovens.
lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:59 pm

Here is the Wisconsin State Journal review from last Sunday: La Brioche True Food

Everything about this place, including its name, sound pretentious.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews