MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Northern Exposure

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Northern Exposure

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:32 pm

With Alaska in the news because of the presidential race, one would think TV Land would try to bring back past espisodes of Northern Exposure.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:16 pm

I would love that except I already have most of the season sets. Although finding it unexpectedly while channel surfing would be a welcome surprise.
I don't think it has been on TV since A&E stopped running it around 2000.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:04 am

Time to put it in the ol' netflix cue. I watched it in high school, but missed many episodes and didn't see much of the early seasons.

Chris Stevens in the morning FTW.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:58 pm

I'm kind of surprised too as I hear Janine Turner is a rabid Republican, though I imagine Rob Morrow is not.
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:35 pm

meowzamusic wrote:I'm kind of surprised too as I hear Janine Turner is a rabid Republican, though I imagine Rob Morrow is not.

Oh that depresses me.
I was very infatuated with her at the time. I even bought the almost unwatchable 'Cliffhanger' for that reason.
If this is true about her political bent, I'm not anymore.

But what party affiliation would Chris be? Or Shelley? Maurice is a given.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sophia Kitty » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:42 pm

Chris would be a Green, Shelley a Libertarian.
Sophia Kitty
Forum Addict

Postby donges » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:44 pm

Actually, Shelley is Canadian (I just remembered), so I guess it was an unintended trick question.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sophia Kitty » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:47 pm

Shelley would be a Canuck Libertarian.
Sophia Kitty
Forum Addict

Re: Northern Exposure

Postby clyde » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:59 am

Henry Vilas wrote:With Alaska in the news because of the presidential race, one would think TV Land would try to bring back past espisodes of Northern Exposure.

I wondered this the other day myself. One of the greatest shows ever - easily in my top 3.
clyde

Postby Galoot » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:17 am

One of my top 3 also, so I thought I'd buy the entire 6 seasons on DVD. Then I found out that a whole bunch of the music from the original series has been replaced with Muzak.

The music on Northern Exposure was a key part of the show! There's no way I'm going to spend nearly $150 on a 6 DVD set, if it isn't actually the original shows, as they were aired.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:51 am

Galoot wrote:One of my top 3 also, so I thought I'd buy the entire 6 seasons on DVD. Then I found out that a whole bunch of the music from the original series has been replaced with Muzak.

The music on Northern Exposure was a key part of the show! There's no way I'm going to spend nearly $150 on a 6 DVD set, if it isn't actually the original shows, as they were aired.

Some has been replaced, but not exactly with muzak. But I agree it lost some charm because of it.
Still, quite a bit of the original music is still there. Chris and Bernard's dream sequence music, Chance's Toy Cows in Africa, for example, remains intact.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:31 am

donges wrote:
Galoot wrote:One of my top 3 also, so I thought I'd buy the entire 6 seasons on DVD. Then I found out that a whole bunch of the music from the original series has been replaced with Muzak.

Some has been replaced, but not exactly with muzak. But I agree it lost some charm because of it.
Still, quite a bit of the original music is still there. Chris and Bernard's dream sequence music, Chance's Toy Cows in Africa, for example, remains intact.

It never ceases to amaze me that these considerations are not taken into account when a show is being produced. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but a hit show is going to make more money in syndication and video sales than it ever does first-run, so when securing music rights, why don't producers think ahead?

It makes sense to me that music rights from pre-'90s shows would be difficult to re-obtain for video releases, as there were no video sales of any note until the '80s, but what's the excuse in this day and age?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Return to TV