MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Transferring Files Between PC's

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:41 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Yuh-huh, he did too.

3. I have around 25 gigabytes of material to transfer over

Whoops, you're quite right, sorry. Imagine Burns being both 1) pissy and 2) wrong.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:51 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:Whoops, you're quite right, sorry. Imagine Burns being both 1) pissy and 2) wrong.

It's part of your mystique. No worries.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:20 am

If both machines have an ethernet port and you have a crossover ethernet cable it should be easy enough. If the cable you have is a straight one it might be less easy.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:18 pm

ethernet would be quicker too.

The reason I come back to the external hard drive is that it would be a good backup and would be a great solution for any computers you use in the future. don't transfer files from box to box to box, just have a drive with everything backed up on you can access from any computer you own.

Keeping files on the same hard drive your operating system is on is a bad idea. crash and you could lose it all.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:35 pm

Shipley wrote:
Keeping files on the same hard drive your operating system is on is a bad idea. crash and you could lose it all.

This is scope creep for this thread. Keep on topic.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:53 pm

MadMind's techsupport threads deserve 1 or 2 replies at best. the best answers are already presented. The only place left to go is for it to turn into a referrendum on all computer hardware, in the same way a thread about a DVD burner turned into a debate about burnable media.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:50 pm

TAsunder wrote:If both machines have an ethernet port and you have a crossover ethernet cable it should be easy enough. If the cable you have is a straight one it might be less easy.

Expand. I don't know the difference between a straight and crossover ethernet cable. I have ethernet cable's, but I'm guessing they're the "straight" kind.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:17 am

MadMind wrote:
TAsunder wrote:If both machines have an ethernet port and you have a crossover ethernet cable it should be easy enough. If the cable you have is a straight one it might be less easy.

Expand. I don't know the difference between a straight and crossover ethernet cable. I have ethernet cable's, but I'm guessing they're the "straight" kind.

A "normal" cable is meant to be plugged into a router or hub or switch. A crossover cable is meant to go directly from computer to computer. It is not always necessary. Some ethernet adapters, especially gigabit adapters, can automatically adjust if it's two computers connecting directly. You can try it with a regular cable and if it doesn't work, you may need a crossover.

If you have a hub or router that you can plug both into, you can just use two straight cables to the hub/router.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:03 am

Off topic, but I dimly recall a version of Windows 3.1 called Windows for Workgroups that allowed for peer-to-peer networking between Windows clients. To get peer-to-peer connections going between Windows for Workgroups machines, were crossover ethernet cables required?
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:06 am

Off topic, but I dimly recall a version of Windows 3.1

Off topic? What OS do you think MadMind's running here? He upgraded to '95 months ago.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:09 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:Off topic, but I dimly recall a version of Windows 3.1 called Windows for Workgroups that allowed for peer-to-peer networking between Windows clients. To get peer-to-peer connections going between Windows for Workgroups machines, were crossover ethernet cables required?

As far as I know they were required. I certainly have had to use them in Windows 95/98. I don't know how far back they had adapters/drivers that automatically compensated, though.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:34 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:Off topic, but I dimly recall a version of Windows 3.1 called Windows for Workgroups that allowed for peer-to-peer networking between Windows clients. To get peer-to-peer connections going between Windows for Workgroups machines, were crossover ethernet cables required?

WFW 3.11 and did it ever suck. All you needed was a way to network the machines together. I helped build an R&D lab at a former job in the early nineties with WFW 3.11 and a token ring network connected using MAUs. Yuck.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:17 pm

TAsunder wrote:If you have a hub or router that you can plug both into, you can just use two straight cables to the hub/router.

I have a router that both PC's are running off of, albeit the laptop is running off the wireless connection.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:21 pm

I have a router that both PC's are running off of, albeit the laptop is running off the wireless connection.

Just turn on Appletalk and you're good to go.. Oh wait.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:50 pm

MadMind wrote:
TAsunder wrote:If you have a hub or router that you can plug both into, you can just use two straight cables to the hub/router.

See, this you would have wanted to disclose at the beginning. You transfer the files via the router.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games