MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Sardine Loves Pork (Warning to non-pork eaters)

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:21 am

christopher_robin wrote:Dude. What took you so long?

Didja try the Duck Confit salad?

I know, I know. But no, I had the braised pork sandwich (was there for brunch). It was good, but very wet. Tomatoes, aioli (or aleoli if you prefer, Violet_Skye), pork...drippy. And the croque monsieur pales in comparison to Brasserie V's. The crab cakes are superb, though, and I'm not always a big crab cake person.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sardine Loves Pork (Warning to non-pork eaters)

Postby fennel » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:55 pm

sitnspin wrote:To me this is a big deal. ... Our server said this has come up many times--She said her manager told her people dining at Sardine should expect pork products in their food, as it's a "French bistro" and that's the foundation of their cooking ...
This really is unprofessional on their part. Firstly, on the part of the waiter, since she didn't know whether the dish contained pork. Maybe there's some kind of communication problem between the back of the house and the front, but a good waiter should feel, at least, a pang of humiliation if s/he can't speak with authority on the how the food is prepared. "Does this dish contain corn starch? Does this dish contain lemon juice? Vinegar? Pork? Cream? (How much?) Shrimp or shellfish stock?" ...

As for their understanding of French cuisine, it's pathetic if one judges by their mealy-mouthed rationale. But more likely it was just that – a rationale. Pork with seafood is not all that common in French cuisine, as far as I know – a possible exception being traditional cuisine around Lyon, which, frankly, is less interesting and not at all oriented toward seafood. But this point is secondary.

What's important is that any good restaurateur in the U.S. is ready and prepared to divulge to customers any potentially problematic ingredients – more so than would be the case in France, for sure. You don't need to broadcast the presence of unusual ingredients, but something like cow tongue in a shrimp appetizer or lardons in a crab dish, merit some kind of notice. And there's no reason why telling customers about an unusual ingredient can't be a perfect segue to enticing them to try something new.

Sadly, the lardon movement, so warmly embraced by Lardines is generally a T.V.-celebrity-chef convention that seems to have originated from regional Italian cuisine. It is what it is and – according to your sensibilities – maybe the best thing ever. But there's no reason to by snobby or sneaky about it – or just plain lazy.

(If it's a first date, just spit it out: "I've got lardons." The rest will be history.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Anthony » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:26 pm

fennel wrote: But there's no reason to by snobby...

Correct, there is no reason to by snobby, you tediously pedantic, schoolmarmish motherfucker.
Anthony
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:35 pm

Anthony wrote:
fennel wrote: But there's no reason to by snobby...

Correct, there is no reason to by snobby, you tediously pedantic, schoolmarmish motherfucker.

Direct your comments to Sardine.
(Sorry, I didn't mean to belittle any insecure late-night drinkers.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Anthony » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:40 pm

fennel wrote:(Sorry, I didn't mean to belittle any insecure late-night drinkers.)

Don't you mean "bylittle"?
Anthony
Forum Addict

Postby Broadsheet » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:38 am

Bacon is now listed as an ingredient on the Sardine menu. The crab cakes are simply the best anywhere, and I've had 'em in Maryland, Boston, etc.

And by the way, bacon is a natural intensifier with shellfish dishes -- clam chowder, for example.

Did anyone mention that shellfish are also considered verboten by some major religions? If the original eater had a problem with pork, he/she should have not been eating scavenging crabs either.

I think the worst ingredient in cuisine is dogma.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:42 am

I think the worst ingredient in cuisine is dogma.

But have you tried it wrapped in bacon?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:54 am

She said the salmon on the dinner menu--the lentils are cooked with it. I've had this entrée a minimum of three times! WTF?????????

You must not have much of an aversion to pork if you've ordered and eaten the lentils three times. Since you stated you "don't care for pork..." and not "I'm a vegetarian," I will assume it wasn't an issue for you and I'm not sure why you are freaking out. Vegetarians will standardly ask how things are prepared, so don't worry that you need to go on a crusade for their sake.
kimm
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues