MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Excellent Customer Service

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Excellent Customer Service

Postby AaronTheSnob » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:20 pm

We all have horror stories--too many to mention--about the horrible customer service that runs rampant throughout the country, from restaurants to retail to utilities, you name it.

Can anyone think of any service provider who excels in the customer service arena?

My pick is Dish Network, surprisingly enough. Never have I ever had a question or an issue or needed technical support when I have not dealt with a very cool, level-headed, polite and appreciate customer service representative. I continue to be very impressed almost two years after I started the service.
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:23 pm

Probably not the best example to use a direct to home TV provider in the Restaurant Reviews folder.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:33 pm

Wooops! Sorry bout that. I obviously got lost in forum-land.
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Excellent Customer Service

Postby crevice beatle » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:59 pm

AaronTheSnob wrote:My pick is Dish Network, surprisingly enough. Never have I ever had a question or an issue or needed technical support when I have not dealt with a very cool, level-headed, polite and appreciate customer service representative. I continue to be very impressed almost two years after I started the service.

Shipley wrote:Probably not the best example to use a direct to home TV provider in the Restaurant Reviews folder.

The name "Dish Network" would be a horrible but not all that unlikely of a name for a chain restaurant.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:18 pm

Or a Cyber Cafe that serves good soup.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ouroborus4 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:49 pm

when i signed up for dish network, the technician came and said that i didn't have to sign up for a contract, so i was like, "great, set me up". when I tried to cancel, they said i was locked into a contract for 1 more year, and that I should have known because I signed the paper when the technician installed the dish. Turns out the asshole forged my signature so he could get the commission on the sale. They did void the contract, and I know you can't judge a company by one disgruntled employee, but I will never do business with them again... that said, I've always enjoyed the customer service at Byrds' Pub and Grill in Fitchburg. Very friendly and outgoing, prompt, available, but not nosy. unfortunately the food isnt the best, but its a good place to watch a game.
ouroborus4
Forum Addict

Postby Anthony » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:00 pm

I hate, and fluctuate in reaction between sympathy and disgust to the robo-politeness and repetitive robo-dialog of the counter people at McDonald's. If you speak out of order they ignore it and don't process it.

Example:

Me: "I'll have the number three extra value meal with a medium soda to go."

McD's Employee: "That will be $5.11. Will that be for here or to go?"

Me: [sigh] "to go"
Anthony
Forum Addict

Postby habari » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:13 am

Anthony wrote:I hate, and fluctuate in reaction between sympathy and disgust to the robo-politeness and repetitive robo-dialog of the counter people at McDonald's. If you speak out of order they ignore it and don't process it.

Example:

Me: "I'll have the number three extra value meal with a medium soda to go."

McD's Employee: "That will be $5.11. Will that be for here or to go?"

Me: [sigh] "to go"

They are probably too busy thinking about how much they hate fat people.
habari
Forum Addict

Postby wallrock » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:13 am

ouroborus4 wrote:that said, I've always enjoyed the customer service at Byrds' Pub and Grill in Fitchburg. Very friendly and outgoing, prompt, available, but not nosy. unfortunately the food isnt the best, but its a good place to watch a game.

I'm on the same page. I like the laid-back atmosphere and the people working there a lot, but you've got to mine the menu a bit. For what it's worth the Monday soft taco special isn't too bad at all.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:58 am

Dish Network was recently a "no-show" for an 11a-5p window appointment. On a weekday. No call, no nothing.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:04 pm

Does anyone use Angie's List?
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Velvet Coffin » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:04 pm

With the requisite disclaimer that I feel bad posting this in the Restaurant Folder...

I nominate UW Credit Union. They're good folk. I lost my wallet in London on the first day of a 6-week multi-country trip. The saintly UWCU people very kindly rushed a new debit card to await me at my Berlin hotel. When there was a PIN disaster with that card in the Czech Republic, they got dispensation from Visa to get me the right number over a secure message.

No matter how many pickles I floundered into (or metaphors I mixed) they saved my sorry wallet-losing ass. The secure messaging on the website is a godsend. And every person I talked to on the phone or online was gracious, patient, and helpful. Though invariably professional, they offered just enough sympathy to keep me from losing my shit.

I should buy them a fruit basket or something.
Velvet Coffin
Forum Addict

Postby lolagirl » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:22 pm

Getting this back to restaurant examples - I give a big 2 forks up to the Old Fashioned. I have always received friendly and competent service there - and I eat there fairly often. Plus the food is great - and they have the best onion rings in town. (my turn to go off topic ':P' )
lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby Zloduska » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:46 am

habari wrote:They are probably too busy thinking about how much they hate fat people.

Hah. If I had to work at McDonald's I'd probably be too caught up thinking about how much I hate my life.
Zloduska

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews