MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, November 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Fair Oaks Diner

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Fair Oaks Diner

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:22 pm

I received a critical e-mail concerning the Sala Thai reviewfrom a waitress at Fair Oaks Diner. She thought I took unfair shots at the F.O.D., and challenged me to visit the place, see the clientele, and judge for myself.

Personally, I think she misunderstands the context in which I mentioned the Diner in the Sala Thai piece, but despite what some might think, I'm no snob. I'll go anywhere once.

Thus, on a busy day getting ready to head out for a trip to Seattle, I took advantage of my availability to visit Fair Oaks Diner for a little breakfast.

A little not-so-little breakfast, I should say. The pancakes are about the size of a competition-sized Frisbee. They're not the greatest (kinda bland), but not the worst by far.

The coffee was mediocre, but again, we're talking about a diner here, so mediocre coffee is less a cardinal sin than it would be elsewhere. I dunno; maybe that means it's worse than somewhere else. What do people expect from diner coffee these days?

Eggs and toast were the definite highlights, both done just the way they should be done (in the case of the eggs, just the way I asked for them to be done, over-easy). I can see the Fair Oaks Diner being a great place for a fast-n-dirty breakfast on the way to work.

And so I'm not misunderstood again, I don't mean "dirty" in the hygiene sense (although, my syrup jar was a mess, and they could really use new drop-ceiling tiles). I just mean it's a place totally unconcerned with pretension or impressing anyone. Would I meet friends there over, say, Sala Thai? Not likely, especially since it closes at 1:30 in the afternoon. But I wouldn't think to call the health inspector on them, either.

At the risk of offending the Isthmus voters who chose this one of the overused phrases of 2008, the Fair Oaks Diner is what it is: small, unaffected, cheap, and fast. And open really, really early.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:22 pm

It's suprising that someone "misunderstood" one of Bookie's reviews. They're normally so succinct, unambiguous and informative.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:34 pm

That seems like a really fair assessment. It's not much of a 'destination' type place (the way that Marigold, for example, is). It's just a diner. Decent food, nice people, all that.

You're right about the coffee too. It's just coffee, not some fair-trade organic-shade-grown special blend selected by monks in Ethiopia. If I recall, it's only a buck for a bottomless cup too.
lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:17 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:It's suprising that someone "misunderstood" one of Bookie's reviews. They're normally so succinct, unambiguous and informative.

Those that can, do. Kyle can and does write well. Since you can't spell surprising, I'll assume you can't, which is why you've been compelled to troll the forum for a newspaper though you're 270 miles outside of its circulation. The purpose of this forum is to serve Madison residents. You seem to regard it as some kind of dodge or hustle. Your post are the worst kind of right wing tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable. You are a poor contributor, Mr. Flanders. And you have no place in this department or this publication.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:22 pm

Ghostbusters coming to my defense. Sweet.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Talon Newsman » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:18 pm

Jeez, it's getting so a guy can't show a little contempt for the community around here without Shipley jumping all over him.
Talon Newsman
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:25 am

Everyone gets a free pass here except Ned since he contributes nothing and inspires and frustration.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:36 am

I've laid out why Bookie's reviews have "issues".

Look it up.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:27 am

Look it up where? a search for "flanders restaurant review book police" and several combinations of those words yeilds no meaningful results.

Is it on your imaginary blog/manifesto with your Palin Love Letters, endorsements for President, grievences against Biden, and justification for your own seemingly meaningless existence?
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:31 am

Actually, Ned meant to type "Lick It Up."

He's just a huge, huge Kiss fan.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:29 pm

Flanders bashing aside, aren't we getting a little off topic?

The Fair Oaks Diner aint gormet the way Lazy Janes' is but you will have an easier time and less wait being seated. FOD shares the same owner as Willaby's and the two offer practically the same menu. I wouldn't characterize the coffee as mediocre...its just brewed and served midwestern style, thats all-if you are trying to undo a King Hangover you are going to need to drink a lot more of it...if on the other hand, you are in the early stages of developing an ulcer it should be about perfect. the afformentioned Huge pancakes are a big favorite with my kids-after all, what purpose does a pancake serve except as a vehicle for syrup?

But may favorite are the sausage skillets-killer and greasy-Yeah Boy! thats what I'm talking about-Now you know you livin' the High Life!
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sitnspin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:55 pm

juanton wrote:Nasty shit.

Indeed. Gross.
sitnspin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:33 pm

GenieU wrote:The Fair Oaks Diner aint gormet the way Lazy Janes' is ...
Wow, this certainly raised my eyebrows. Lazy Jane's is gourmet???
How so? Because their potatoes don't come out of an underground MGE pipeline? Because the food doesn't cause anal leakage? What, exactly makes a self-serve diner where the staff bellow orders like penitentiary guards "gormet?"
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:40 am

fennel wrote:Lazy Jane's is gourmet???
How so? Because the food doesn't cause anal leakage?

It doesn't?

Of course, YALMV.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:16 pm

fennel wrote:
GenieU wrote:The Fair Oaks Diner aint gormet the way Lazy Janes' is ...
Wow, this certainly raised my eyebrows. Lazy Jane's is gourmet???
How so? Because their potatoes don't come out of an underground MGE pipeline? Because the food doesn't cause anal leakage? What, exactly makes a self-serve diner where the staff bellow orders like penitentiary guards "gormet?"

Um well, by comparison...in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way-notice the spelling: Gor-Met-what I mean, I guess is "dressed up regular"
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews