MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Tuesday, July 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Locked Up Abroad

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Locked Up Abroad

Postby crevice beatle » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:29 pm

This is one of the few television shows I watch on a regular basis. It is probably the first National Geographic programs I have seen multiple episodes of. I'm generally a fan of the channel, but in the past I've only caught bits of shows here and there.

If you are not familiar, most episodes I've seen recall true life events of people in their 20s, getting busted for smuggling drugs. Stories include reinactments and interviews with the kids who are just trying to get a free vacation and make a quick, easy buck. How these people wind up surviving some of these South American prisons for multi-year sentences is beyond me.

Anyone else a fan of this?
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:33 pm

Midnight Express was enough for me.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:39 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Midnight Express was enough for me.

I was actually going to refer to it as a "Midnight Express mini-series".

A bit off topic, Henry...but without looking it up, do you know who Henry Vilas actually was? The reason I ask is because I have yet to meet someone who knows his story... I've looked it up myself in the past, but everyone I talk to seems to have no clue as to who he was.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:02 pm

Henry Vilas was the son of a prominent Wisconsin family who died young. Both Vilas Hall on the UW campus and Vilas County up north bear the family name. His parents donated the land for park use in Henry's name. Interesting side note: they stipulated that the land be open to all at no cost, thus the zoo within the park is the largest free zoo in the country.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:15 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Henry Vilas was the son of a prominent Wisconsin family who died young. Both Vilas Hall on the UW campus and Vilas County up north bear the family name. His parents donated the land for park use in Henry's name. Interesting side note: they stipulated that the land be open to all at no cost, thus the zoo within the park is the largest free zoo in the country.

Yes, I did some research on it a little while back...died of a type of diabetes, correct? I really wonder about the zoo thing. I grew up in Racine, WI (yuck) and we were always told by our gradeschool teachers that we had the largest free zoo in the country. As far as acreage, it's hard for me to judge as my memory of the Racine zoo was when I was younger and everything seemed larger...but I'm still thinking in terms of space, Racine zoo has got to be larger--- but I'm not so sure they haven't started charging; haven't been back there in at least 15 years.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:27 pm

A little googling showed than the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago is free, so maybe I should have said that the Vilas Zoo is the largest free zoo in Dane County.

Yes, I believe Henry died of diabetes in his early twenties.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Return to TV