MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 13.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Fair Oaks Diner

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Postby Parintachin » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:55 pm

I feel a Dennis Leary sketch coming here.

Nothing wrong with cheap diner coffee. Sometimes people just want to suck down lots of cheap java. It's kind of like the morning version of people sucking down cheap beer at night.
Parintachin

Postby Rosalind » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:50 am

after 2 visits to Fair Oaks Diner I can't say I'd go again. First reason is the bacon in the BLT: not just undercooked, but almost raw, like it was waved over the grill. Second reason: the plastic wrapper that was still around the slice of ham in the ham and eggs. How can a restaurant just introduce bacon to heat or forget to unwrap ham?

Maybe a blt or ham and eggs are too complicated and I should just stick with eggs, toast and coffee on the third visit?
Rosalind

Postby Ducatista » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:47 pm

Marvell wrote:Of course, YALMV.

Finally, an initialism I can use!
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fair Oaks Diner

Postby coffeegirl » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:13 pm

As the original, miffed F.O.D. waitress, I was sincerely impressed when the existence of this thread was then brought to my attention by two of my favorite customers. Mr. Nabilcy's decision to bring this topic up for public discussion was a surprise which made me feel, for the first time, that my objections to his earlier insults where being treated with respect. (I mean, let's be honest, when you end an "apology" by instructing someone to go Wikipedia something, you're really just continuing to insult). I'm only sorry I didn't discover this forum sooner, when people would still be reading.

I'm really embarressed by the one unpleasant experience described here. We have no excuse for not cooking a perfect order of bacon or ham. That's what we do. I really hope this customer decides to visit us one more time, preferably on a weekend, so I can smother him or her with charm and sass. Also, the coffee I pour is Torke, the same brand served at The American Club in Kohler. It's brewed with the traditional drip method, which obviously isn't as strong as other brewing methods, but as mentioned, is pretty classic for the Midwest. For the holiday season, we are also serving flavored coffees from Steep and Brew.

The Fair Oaks Diner definitely is a greasy spoon - a good greasy spoon, friendly and sincere and tasty. I'm proud of my cook and the food she puts out; I'm proud of my customers and the relationships born here; I'm proud of the environment I create with my brazen jokes and incessant refills. We are truly a neighborhood diner and accordingly, we care deeply about the people in our neighborhood. I hope the people in this forum choose to become part of our community.

Thanks, Emily
coffeegirl

Postby workboy7 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:50 pm

Anyone who is paid or published for their food reviews should not be posting here. The point of forums is to comment in a fashion not aligned with regular press.
Otherwise,....FOD is what it is, and I like it, with the exception of it's lapse into Madison's worst restaurant problem....lack of consistency.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby workboy7 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:50 pm

Anyone who is paid or published for their food reviews should not be posting here. The point of forums is to comment in a fashion not aligned with regular press.
Otherwise,....FOD is what it is, and I like it, with the exception of it's lapse into Madison's worst restaurant problem....lack of consistency.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:27 pm

The point of forums is to comment. Period.

Have I ever published anything as "TheBookPolice" other than forum commentary?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby workboy7 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:24 pm

So Bookpolice, you think that there is zero chance of bias in what you write, depending on who you write for? I'm not sure I like the idea of a reviewer (paid?) gossiping here. I might be wrong, and please let me know, but is there no conflict here?
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:09 am

What am I "gossiping" about? I'm bewildered by your perspective on this thread.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:48 am

TheBookPolice wrote:What am I "gossiping" about? I'm bewildered by your perspective on this thread.

I believe Workboy fears that readers will impute your "credentialed" opinion as a contributor to the paper with your "lay" opinion on this forum thereby creating some sort of conflict between your official stance and mere conjecture. While I do not share his concerns, what Workboy forgets is that no one pays credence to your opinion, regardless of the guise.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:57 am

Well, I still don't get it. When I get paid to write, I get paid by Isthmus, not by Sala Thai or Fair Oaks Diner. What I think about Place X, Y, or Z is unaffected by and unrelated to whether or not I'm getting paid to write those thoughts down.

Is the "gossip" label being applied because I was contacted by an employee of Fair Oaks Diner? If so, I'm not the only one saying so. The employee herself posted here as well, under "coffeegirl." Ask her for her name and go see her at FOD if you want. It's not a deep cover source, for crying out loud. And she contacted me through the "E-mail the author" link on this very site.

Sorry you think so poorly of me, Fat. But I'm comfortable in my assurance that the world doesn't bend so completely to your whim as you would have me believe. I know a couple people like me, at least.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:08 pm

workboy7 wrote:Anyone who is paid or published for their food reviews should not be posting here. The point of forums is to comment in a fashion not aligned with regular press.

So you can only post here if you have no idea what you are talking about?
I'd think anybody reviewing for love (rather than money) ought to be welcomed with open arms
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:08 am

It would be wonderful, if more small business people would post on TDP.

Probably most of them are too busy to fight here.

Thanking one's customers during hard times, is gratifying!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rosalind » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:01 pm

I'm really embarressed by the one unpleasant experience described here. We have no excuse for not cooking a perfect order of bacon or ham. That's what we do. I really hope this customer decides to visit us one more time, preferably on a weekend, so I can smother him or her with charm and sass.

Sorry coffegirl, it was two unpleasant experiences (2 separate visits) and both on weekends. But with enough time I may be swayed again by the promise of charm and sass. And bacon.
Rosalind

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews