MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

La Baguette

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

La Baguette

Postby kulgar » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:10 pm

The best baguettes in Madison. A little doughy as are all their pastries but today's loaf was nice and crusty compared to the ones I've apparently bought hot from the oven that consequently stayed soft in the paper bag. Take them out of the bag when you get home. Don't put it in your trunk and have to get out in all that crazy (but stopped) traffic to retrieve it and tear off a chunk. No will power...

I could tell from the look of horror on the owner's face that they don't use preservatives when that question was relayed to her. I retract a previous post that questioned the use of preservatives to keep the bread soft.

It's way out on the west side across from West Towne next to what used to be Irishman's Bay Pub but is now simply O'Gradys. Pricey, what isn't today, but very good. The sandwiches looked divine but I think you have to smuggle in your own wine.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Re: La Baguette

Postby mrak » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:25 am

kulgar wrote:I could tell from the look of horror on the owner's face that they don't use preservatives when that question was relayed to her. I retract a previous post that questioned the use of preservatives to keep the bread soft.

The question wasn't relayed using the phrase "les preservatifs", was it? Because that could certainly account for her look of horror.

Kidding aside, thanks for the report. I'm looking forward to checking the place out.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:33 am

I've tried various baguettes from local bakeries and my favorite still is the classic French one from Clausen's. I'm not as fond of the sour dough varieties.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sitnspin » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:58 am

I know what you mean about the bread seeming doughy, but it stayed fresh a long time. The baguettes are yummy, the quiche is solid. The lines are long. The service is scattered. I'll be back.
sitnspin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kovalic » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:42 pm

The almond croissant (served on Saturdays) is freaking awesome. Just like the ones I remember when I used to live in France. And the coffee is great - robust and delicious. Other pastries I had there were remarkably good, and the baguette and Parisian batard are two loaves that have become staples at our house. Plus, they make it often enough throughout the day that even at odd mid-afternoon hours, you can frequently get it hot. Nom nom nom.

Had some soup there once that was tremendously over-salted (brought this to their attention - "You're right," noted our waitress, after trying some in the kitchen. "That's disgusting.") But that's the only off-note I've really had there.

Also: LOVE their rum babas. And the quiches were great too.
Kovalic

Postby beenie » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:54 pm

Last week, the husband brought home a baguette for me and I was instantly smitten (with the baguette, that is - I've been smitten with the hub for a while now).

We went back today, intending to eat there, but there were no open tables. We got an assortment of goodies to bring home - a few baguettes, a croissant and a cherry almond tart for him, a chocolate brioche and a tarte au citron for me. The chocolate brioche was lovely with a cup of tea. The tarte au citron was awesome - I loved the thick, buttery, crumbly shortbread crust, as well as the fact that the citron wasn't too sweet, but not too tart, either.

I had a couple of small tastes of what the hub got as well, and so far, everything I've had has been absolutely delightful.
beenie
Forum Addict

Postby tii » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:53 am

For 5 years we would stop into La Baguette in Minocqua on our way North. It provided real French Bakery products in a place you'd least expect it. Perfection. At Thanksgiving we discovered that they had closed; we were so sad. Days later, we discovered the new West Side location. Shouts of joy! Please try out this wonderful place. As another poster mentioned, the Almond croissant is outstanding, and their fruit tarts (I'm partial to the pear) don't fail anyone's taste test. Great stuff!
tii

Rum baba

Postby kulgar » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:57 am

The rum baba is illegal in most states....

I did, after a poster's recommendation, try Clausen's and Madison Sourdough but still think LaBaguette's are the best in town, but then again I'm not a huge fan of an overbearing sourdough flavor. They have just a hint of sourdough here and it's probably personal preference although Clausen's are industrial in look and production.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews