MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Week Drinking

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Week Drinking

Postby rrnate » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:05 am

There are a lot of weekend drinkers that think they are the business. No arguments there.

I'd like to know how may Forons are the type to sometimes stay up late drinking (like me, which is to say (tonight) 5 gimlets and two shots) during the week.

Speaking as a (shockingly enough) sort of professional, I may possibly be a super-productive desk bound management type when I'm hungover - are you?

-nt

PS - And a beer. Two Hearted Ale.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:57 am

It's a good thing Bee's Tavern is not here, between me and the bus stop. I miss the beer and chip stop.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:18 am

Just wait till you hit 30, Nathan.
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:21 am

A year and half ago there were certainly happy hours that lasted until bar time and always some goings on on Thursday but now not so much. If I have a show or a special occasion but no just going out drinking for no apparent reason. It's tough to find time to do much of anything during the week.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:35 am

meowzamusic wrote:Just wait till you hit 30, Nathan.

Yup, 30 is about when I lost this ability. Now, anything more than 2 beers and I have to be pulled out of bed. Sad, really.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:16 am

It is tough post-30. I can usually do 2-4 drinks if I stretch it out over several hours. Last night I did a double Goose on the rocks with olives, a Fin du Monde (9%), and topped it off with a Guinness (probably over 5 hours). Feel fine. If I had another beer or a scotch, I would most likely have to be dragged out of bed.

As a grad student I usually went out 4 times a week and closed down the bars on Thursdays, but I didn't really have to get up for any sort of work or if I wanted to stay home the next day I could. Not so much an option when you are employed.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby naybobber » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:17 am

30? Are you kidding me? Just wait. Or better yet, enjoy yourself now. Unless you are a professional juicehead, once you hit middle age it's all over ....
naybobber

Postby Learned » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:52 pm

I prefer 'juicebag.'
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:01 pm

Did I mention I start work at 7 AM?
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:27 am

It's never too early for some late night drinking.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:38 am

Around 29 or 30, I became a happy hour drinker.

I can't stay up past 11 or so, while drinking, and expect to make it to work on time. That shit hurts and I'm 37.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 取号机

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:55 am

Translated via Babelfish, Chinese to English:

Takes the number machine to call a number machine the appraisal evaluation system password small keyboard

:shock:
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Week Drinking

Postby supaunknown » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:40 am

Drinking is such a seductive punisher.
If I'm gonna drink, I like to feel it. Since I'm 250#, it usually takes at least 3 strong beers or average-pour drinks in a short session to affect me on a non-empty stomach. After that it's open season on my liver.
If I've got important stuff to do the next day I try not to get drunk the night before. Of course there are always exceptions. Even at 39, the sadomasochist in me still relishes pushing it and testing myself the next day. Not saying I prefer feeling that way, but sometimes there's something to be said for being a bit tired and hung over, dig? Hate to admit it, but I usually tend to be more productive at work after I've been in my cups the night before. Consciously compensating. And I've definitely played a bunch of shows all grizzled and gravelly. The worst part is the boozestink seeping out of my pores. Or the headache. Or the tummy that no food can satify.
Unfortunately I'm one of those drunks that remembers EVERYTHING I did the night before, for better or likely worse. When sober basically I'm functionally retarded. Adding booze can turn me a tragic yet occasionally hilarious brand of all-out stupid.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby violetb » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:59 am

my two cents may not count, as i've not yet rounded the thirty mark...but i find stumbling into work at 8am after a night of throwing back a few to be refreshing. nothing gets me more motivated than showing up to work a little drunk still. my energy levels are high, my productivity is up, and my coworkers are easily drowned out by the slosh slosh sloshing noise in my melon. around noon (or later, depending on the party factor of the previous eve) i start to sober up, then it's off to some kick-in-the-gut-crap-shack for gruel. it's only then that i start to feel gross. i can usually override those feelings when i recount events of the prior evening. oh, that delicious bourbon that accompanied the highly intellectual (yet slurred) debates about everything and nothing, or how all of the worlds problems were solved over some new old Schlitz, or the seemingly hilarious pranks pulled whilst sipping (read slamming) red wine at 2am...damn. i'm thirsty.
violetb

Postby workboy7 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:59 pm

My liver hates me, and I'm over 30
workboy7
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails