MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, July 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Is Charter my only option for cable TV??

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Is Charter my only option for cable TV??

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:05 pm

I'm not liking my dish from Dish Network. The reception sucks, I don't get my local forecast on the Weather Channel, and I lose the signal anytime it rains or snows with any intensity. Oh yeah, and I don't get WGN or Fox Sports like I did with the comparably-priced Expanded Basic package I had with Charter before I switched to the dish.

I really REALLY REALLY don't want to give another dime to Charter, but I'm fed up with my dish. Are there any other options (I've already checked, AT&T hasn't made it into my west side neighborhood yet)?
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:52 pm

Charter is the only cable TV provider. Cable companies have a pact of non-agression, slicing up the nation so that Charter, Comcast, Time-Warner, etc don't overlap. They pay their franchise fee to the state or city, fight dish and fiber optics, but don't compete with each other.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby madmatt77 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:58 pm

Isn't a pact of non-agression basically the same as setting up regional monopolies? How is this legal? I'm guessing it has to do with the rash, trendy wave of de-regulation legislation that's been passed in the last 20 years.
madmatt77
Forum Addict

Re: Is Charter my only option for cable TV??

Postby wallrock » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:54 pm

My friend in Fitchburg is signing up for AT&T's U-Verse. He's going to save a bit of money and not have to deal with Charter's bullshit. Time will tell how AT&T's bullshit compares.

I was hoping the roll-out would extend to my part of Middleton so I could get some of that cheap broadband Internet, but no dice.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Is Charter my only option for cable TV??

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:20 pm

Uverse hasn't hit my neighborhood yet either. Which means I went with Charter.... :cry:

But I like the channel line-up better, and the picture quality is so much better than it was with the dish.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Return to TV