MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Join Zac Shipley at Best Buy for Gears Of War 2

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Re: Join Zac Shipley at Best Buy for Gears Of War 2

Postby Shipley » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:05 am

For yer information, Ms Chow (because I totally don't believe you have a Mr), my darling girlfriend is quite amused by your antics, to the point where she proudly wore the "HELLO my name is BUNNY CHOW 420" name tag to the TDP election party. I went as DANGEROUSMAN. A few people thought this was funny, I must say.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:10 am

I didn't have a smoke, but I did crack a beer.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:03 am

I read yesterday that Microsoft started handing out LIVE bans like candy to modders and pirates.

You fall under the axe, jammy?
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:46 pm

Epic Sinks Gears 2 Pirate/Modder in Court

and this is what happened to a guy selling pirate copies.

You'll forgive me if I have little love or sympathy for game pirates.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:04 pm

Shipley wrote:I read yesterday that Microsoft started handing out LIVE bans like candy to modders and pirates.

You fall under the axe, jammy?

No.
The people that got caught were busted for installing the new dashboard and/or playing GOW2 and COD5 *online* before the release date.
According to my friends at M$ in the X360 group they are looking at the timestamp on your gamesave on your HD. If that timestamp is < the release date of the game = banned. Too much coincidence that this is happening around the release of leaked GOW2 and COD5. Plus no banning since May of 07'. If they could detect a burned game directly, they would have done it a long time ago.

As for the guy who got busted by Epic...well...
take a look on ioffer.com and you'll see the impact of that case on the US modder market.

One thing to keep in mind about piracy/modding...the real place it's costing M$ and the game publishers is Europe and Asia.
For the one guy in St. Louis there are a thousand kids in the UK or Russia who grew up getting PC games for free and now mod their 360 themselves and show all their buddies how easy it is.
Judging by what I read on the modder/scene forums they can't spell or write a coherent sentence but they know how to mod a 360 as well as rip and patch 360 games so they are undetectable.

The real kicker is that many of the kids aren't even using XBL so M$ has no idea how many real modded consoles are out there.

Want to know how easy it is?
Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f11l2QtWtqI
then read up on it at http://www.afterdawn.com
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:03 pm

Yeah, I don't really care. I play all my games legally, no gray areas. Heck the only game I've ever really played on emulation my my computer was Chrono Trigger, and I own a SNES and PS1 copy of that game, and will soon buy the DS re-release.

I'm not going to act like I've never stolen anything online, but I can say I legally own almost all of whats in my iTunes folder. Other stuff like that rotten metallica album I wouldn't have bought anyway... doesn't make it right though. I've found indie bands and purchased CDS or amazon mp3s from them later, or went to their shows.

movies and TV I never have the need to download since I have netflix and sites like hulu.

What I'm getting at is while the copyright laws are wacky and need an overhaul, and the price of games, music, movies, etc is skyrocketing... I can do all of this on a shoestring budget. Before I switched jobs last month I was pulling in barely over minimum wage. If I can do this, anyone can.

Those kids in europe, asia, etc who pirate games? Some of those nations don't have official channels for those systems, piracy might be the only way for them to play anything. I can't make excuses or reason any of that, since its not my situation. I can say in the US, theres no good reason except to play game for free.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:08 pm

Jammy, you're kind of the "I want my cake, and I want you make it for me for free, too" kind of guy.

You block ads, that generate legitimate revenue for the sites you enjoy and patronize. And then you steal/hack/download/whatever games that provide legitimate revenue for the companies who make the games you like.

What if the game manufacturers were your neighbors, and stealing their games meant taking money out of their pockets? Oh, wait...
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:44 pm

Jammy, you're kind of the "I want my cake, and I want you make it for me for free, too" kind of guy.

If you really need someone to be your satan du jour to make yourself feel better than go right ahead.
You wouldn't be the first.
BTW - I'm sorry someone ripped something off your door, but it wasn't my fault and I'd prefer you not take you anger out on me.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:52 pm

Jeez, drama queen. Hyperbolize much? I made a comment about cake.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:11 pm

Zac,
I understand completely. To be honest I use my 360 as a media server more than I play games on it.

movies and TV I never have the need to download since I have netflix and sites like hulu.

The problem with those sites is that it's all US domestic content, very little of which I'm interested in.
If I want political content there very few outlets in the US I can rely on for the truth. For music content...well there's not much and that's my buisness so I have to keep up with what's happening overseas.
The stuff I download and use my X360 to view is from the UK, Europe, and Asia.
(Not sure if you know this, but the 360 will play back a PAL xvid .avi on an NTSC tv w/o any issues!)
So I can download soccer highlights, political programming, and music programs and watch them on the big screen just like they were coming off the dish.

Those kids in europe, asia, etc who pirate games? Some of those nations don't have official channels for those systems, piracy might be the only way for them to play anything. I can't make excuses or reason any of that, since its not my situation. I can say in the US, theres no good reason except to play game for free.

I don't disagree...but I didn't make that point to justify the behavior. I was trying to make you aware of something you might not be aware of but should know to have a complete picture of the trend.
I'm a very curious person and I do a lot of research on issues that grab my attention. Just thought I'd share considering your level of interest.

As for prices...that pisses me of as well but only on the digital distro front. I buy a lot of games through Steam because I've got enough clutter as it is and adding another HD is easier than adding another shelf.
Got probably $500-700 worth of games in two accounts.
I really like their set up, ease of use, etc...but what pisses me off is that the games are always full retail or more!
I thought the whole point of digtal distro was that it was going to be cheaper for the consumer because the publisher wouldn't have to actually pay to put a physical box on a shelf.
Two years ago I was paying $35 for PC games on sale the first week of their release at BB. Now they are $50 via Steam.
WTF? Where's the benefit?
I guess that's why the game industry is at an all time time high right in profits right now, makes more money than Hollywood and the music biz combined.
Like you said though, at some point they are going to kill the golden goose by overpricing the games.
Creating an audience for your product and then pricing them out of being able to afford it is not a winning strategy.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:12 pm

Hey bookie...

the cake is a lie.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:26 pm

jammybastard wrote:Hey bookie...

the cake is a lie.

I don't know what that means, but I love it. You can be my satan du jour any time.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:31 pm

Through out arguably the best game of last year, Portal, the disembodied voice of the computer egss you on through challenges by promising cake.

...until you reach a room you're not supposed to be in, and you see scratched into the wall "THE CAKE IS A LIE"

if you have the means, play it. The gameplay is as great as the comedic timing and thats really rare in a game.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:36 pm

Hey Shipley....
if you want new games cheap keep an eye on Ebay the night before a game releases. You'll see more than a few "Buy It Now" auctions originating from the Pacific Northwest that sometime last less than 10 min. "Refresh" is your friend.

One other way I beat the buck...I've got 2 friends that work at M$ in Redmond and they buy the games and/or software for me at their employee price.
New games usually run $15-20 incl shipping and it's all legit.
They can place the order at the desk via the online employee store and send it out immediately. Pretty cool.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:38 pm

Plus Portal gave us one of the best pop songs of last year...

"Still Alive"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ljFaKRTrI

This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.
It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.
Aperture Science
We do what we must
because we can.
For the good of all of us.
Except the ones who are dead.
But there's no sense crying over every mistake.
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
And the Science gets done.
And you make a neat gun.
For the people who are still alive.
I'm not even angry.
I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me.
And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
As they burned it hurt because I was so happy for you!
Now these points of data make a beautiful line.
And we're out of beta.
We're releasing on time.
So I'm GLaD. I got burned.
Think of all the things we learned
for the people who are still alive.
Go ahead and leave me.
I think I prefer to stay inside.
Maybe you'll find someone else to help you.
Maybe Black Mesa
THAT WAS A JOKE.
HAHA. FAT CHANCE.
Anyway, this cake is great.
It's so delicious and moist.
Look at me still talking
when there's Science to do.
When I look out there, it makes me GLaD I'm not you.
I've experiments to run.
There is research to be done.
On the people who are still alive.
And believe me I am still alive.
I'm doing Science and I'm still alive.
I feel FANTASTIC and I'm still alive.
While you're dying I'll be still alive.
And when you're dead I will be still alive.
STILL ALIVE
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games