MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Franken stealing the election?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Franken stealing the election?

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:23 pm

Old School Johnny wrote:Anyone else enjoying the irony of joyce, who has sported a Wisconsin zip code lo these many years, complaining about Franken abandoning Minnesota as a youth to pursue academic/career opportunities elsewhere?
I'm mostly just enjoying watching Joyce become unhinged. Clearly there's something going on here we don't know about. Did Al Franken stand him up for the prom or something?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaronetc » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:09 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I'm mostly just enjoying watching Joyce become unhinged. Clearly there's something going on here we don't know about. Did Al Franken stand him up for the prom or something?

Franken ate his balls.
aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby lil bunny fufu » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:47 pm

Joyce! Hey! Yeah, YOU!

You ducking this thread now? I see you're posting elsewhere . . .
lil bunny fufu
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:59 pm

Franken set the DFL back 25 years? The DFL has been slitting it's own throat since before the Ventura era (a big fucking carpetbagger in his own right, it's worth noting). Minnesota politics have long been a joke that needs no punching-up on Franken's part (Wellstone excepted). Which raises the question, what was Joyce's opinion of Wellstone? He and Franken were quite tight, as I understand it.

Our good moderator has clearly either had an elective lobotomy or has taken to smoking crack by the ounce from a hookah.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lil bunny fufu » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:41 am

jjoyce wrote:My view of Franken is that he's a carpet bagger who couldn't wait to get away from Minnesota and being a senator is more important than actually doing the job.

I don't have a much higher opinion of Norm Coleman, whose boomer ambition has caused him to sell out just about everyone who has ever crossed his path.

But reports of election fraud seem to be implicating Stuart Smalley this morning.

This installment of the Daily Call Out brought to you by Lysol - your best bet for getting that disgusting bullshit smell out of the air.

Jason Joyce - do you stand by your unsubstantiated claims, or can you substantiate them?

"Danger! Danger! Credibility level low - check engine now."
lil bunny fufu
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:49 am

Mean Scenester wrote:Franken set the DFL back 25 years? The DFL has been slitting it's own throat since before the Ventura era (a big fucking carpetbagger in his own right, it's worth noting).

I was driving through MN in mid-October for work and listening to election coverage on Minnesota Public Radio - kind of boring but the work car I was in didn't have an aux jack for my iPod and I forgot to bring CDs. Franken was being interviewed and Ventura called in to ask him how he can "just come back to MN and run for Senate." I don't especially follow his logic, but I guess Ventura was a mayor prior to running for governor.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:49 pm

Thing is, both Ventura and Franken left MN to pursue their respective careers. You can't be much of a professional wrestler without hitting the road. Likewise, you're not going to make it in comedy slinging one-liners to a bunch of lutefisk munching yokels.

Actually, Franken left to go to Harvard. This is, apparently, some sort of anti-state-pride fuck you in the eyes of JJoyce here. That makes a ton of fucking sense, obviously. No state wants to see their high school graduates off to the Ivy Leagues. :roll:

I'm sure Joyce would have passed on any similar opportunity, though clearly his own state pride waned when he was offered a position at the illustrious Isthmus offices. And who can blame him, after all? It's a status thing.

I guess a career in politics is off the table for you, JJ. I mean, run in WI and you're a carpetbagger. MN, same deal.

Yes, you must refrain from following your dreams or seeing the world beyond your home state frame of reference if you want to pursue a career in public service.

Nothing totally fucking retarded at all going on here, folks. Move along.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:55 pm

The funnyman's antics aren't too funny...

ST. PAUL – Al Franken’s campaign needs a new story to establish the need for a lawsuit it filed Thursday...

More...

A touching story the Franken campaign told at mid-day Thursday about how a Beltrami County women’s stroke-impaired signature led to her ballot being rejected proved flawed.
http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/articles/ ... ction=news
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:13 pm

Not that verifying a vote count is stealing, Ned, but why the sudden transformation away from stealing elections that you've enjoyed, loved and held dear to your heart for the last 8 years?
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:35 pm

Here is some reportage concerning Franken's latest efforts at malfeasance and chicanery. Has this man no shame?!?

The bright side that the injustice will likely be over soon, as the recount should begin tomorrow morning. Hopefully, the candidate from New York will be sent packing, if there is anything right in this world.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby butters » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:50 pm

acereraser wrote:Here is some reportage concerning Franken's latest efforts at malfeasance and chicanery. Has this man no shame?!?

Speaking as a CSPAN viewer...whatever chicanery Franken's campaign can pull off to get elected will be well worth it. Gotta love Minnesoda!
butters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lil bunny fufu » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:54 pm

acereraser wrote:Here is some reportage concerning Franken's latest efforts at malfeasance and chicanery. Has this man no shame?!?

The bright side that the injustice will likely be over soon, as the recount should begin tomorrow morning. Hopefully, the candidate from New York will be sent packing, if there is anything right in this world.

Again, I'm open to the possibility that Franken (or Coleman, for that matter) has tried or is trying to unethically tamper with or somehow illegally manipulate vote tallying in this race, but I've not yet seen any evidence to support the claim. The linked article has no smoking guns, or even unsubstantiated insinuations for that matter.

Speaking of, have you found your credibility yet Jason Joyce, you fucking weak tea hack gossip dealer? I hope your portfolio for that National Enquirer job is coming along nicely . . .
lil bunny fufu
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:06 pm

Based on this from the article:
The Franken campaign filed a brief Monday asking the Canvassing Board to consider including improperly rejected absentee ballots in today's official tally.
...the state attorney general's office later issued a three-page opinion requested by Ritchie that said the board's job today is purely administrative, not to determine the eligibility of a voter or whether absentee ballots were properly accepted.

Wrote Assistant Attorney General Kenneth Raschke Jr.: "Courts that have reviewed this issue have opined that rejected absentee or provisional ballots are not cast in an election." Improperly rejected absentee ballots can be challenged in court, he wrote.

And this gives examples of people's votes being thrown out when they likely should not have:
Jessup Schiks, of Kandiyohi County, had his absentee ballot rejected because officials ruled the signature didn't match the registration card; campaign officials said Schiks later signed an affidavit confirming the ballot was his.

In another case, Bruce Behrens, a Goodhue County resident, said his absentee ballot was rejected because officials believed his girlfriend, who vouched for him, wasn't a registered voter even though she is.

I would have no problem with the courts looking at questionable ballots that were thrown out and verifying they should have been thrown out. What if some of the votes were legit? What is wrong with a candidate down by slightly more than 200 votes wanting to verify ballots?

Unless you have more info, I'm with lil bunny fu fu in saying simply wanting to verify votes is not a crime or basis of election tampering.

And if the ballots turn out to be bad anyway, at least Franken cannot come back and say questionable ballots were thrown out and that is why he did not win. At least everyone will be sure and isn't that what we want in democratic elections?
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Franken PREVENTS stolen election?

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:37 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/1 ... 44449.html

Professor Michael C. Herron of Dartmouth College, has put together a new study of the voting patterns in Minnesota, in the process determining that the majority of voters who cast unrecorded ballots in the Senate race were likely Franken supporters.

All Franken needs is to win more than 207 votes from this group than Coleman, and he will take over the Senate seat.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Franken PREVENTS stolen election?

Postby kurt_w » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:07 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/17/frankens-position-looks-s_n_144449.html

Professor Michael C. Herron of Dartmouth College, has put together a new study of the voting patterns in Minnesota, in the process determining that the majority of voters who cast unrecorded ballots in the Senate race were likely Franken supporters.

All Franken needs is to win more than 207 votes from this group than Coleman, and he will take over the Senate seat.

The HuffPo post is either unclear or wrong, depending on how you want to read it.

I know two of the authors of that paper (Herron is a visiting prof at Harvard, there are two other coauthors at other universities that the HuffPo writer missed). I've also read the paper closely and discussed it with one of the authors.

Herron et al don't say that "the majority of voters who cast unrecorded ballots in the Senate race were likely Franken supporters." In fact, they show that the majority of the unrecorded Senate votes were probably intentionally left blank.

A small fraction of the "unrecorded" MN Senate votes will probably turn out to be cases where the voter tried to vote but the voting machine didn't record it. Of that small fraction, it does seem likely that a majority will go for Franken. But that's a "majority of a small minority".

Whether that will leave Franken or Coleman ahead nobody knows. 200 votes is really, really close and it could go either way.

-Kurt W. (What the heck happened to the DPF after I left last year? Everything looks different. Did Jason get the remodeling bug again?)
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government