MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 33.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Android Phones (Google OS)

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:36 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Please someone go find me ONE thread about something Apple related that hasn't been shit all over by some hater.

So "do unto others as you'd rather not they do to you," huh? Got it.

All I'm saying is it's all derivative all inferior.

Right. You haven't seen the final product, but it's inferior. And if you think there's nothing derivative about Apple's development, you've clearly never touched an open source OS. They based OSX on the damn Unix kernel for crying out loud. How is that anything but derivative?

It may be more open but tell me how well that works when one of your good small developer friends turns your Android phone into a walking identity theft ad machine.

I think there's a portable tinfoil hat app for that purpose. Seriously, what the holy hell are you talking about?

Meanie being a mAc user do you really want a phone that works like a windows machine with 50 pop-ups and virus scanners jumping out at you every time you fire the thing up just top have it freeze and restart or would you prefer a phone that doesn't crash, works the way it is supposed to and keeps your data safe from Joe Developer.

I'm not one of you people who feels he has to have conjugal relations with his fucking phone every minute of every day, so I'm hardly the person to pose that question to.

I will say, however, that you're making a whole shitload of assumptions about a product that, at best, is still in beta.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:59 pm

Meanie,
I agree with you far too often on the big issues to bother fighting with you over the small ones. Also the Mac/PC debate is pointless as is the debate over the iPhone. I have one and like it just fine thanks. Google's OS could be great could be awful. doesn't exist. don't know. So I'll retract anything negative I've said about it.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:23 pm

I don't mean to bust your balls, fisticuffs. I'm guilty of needling Macheads now and again (and sometimes take special delight in it, given that I'm Mac user myself). And yes, the debate is fundamentally stupid. Is that an abacus? Really? Does it work for you? Great!

I think brand loyalty is a fine thing if it's well earned, and I'll be the first to say that I really like my Macbook. But I also like the idea that there are countless geeky geniuses out there developing open source stuff for (mostly) no profit other than the satisfaction it brings them to know they're creating something to make someone's job easier (or hobby more enjoyable, yadda yadda). Without these guys constantly coding and tweaking, there might not exist the same incentive for the big manufacturers to stay on top of their own products (which still doesn't explain why Vista sucks, I'll grant you).

Guys like Beer Moon may not be on the bleeding edge of every technology, but if the world were made entirely of early adopters who are easily satisfied just having the latest thing, companies might never feel motivated to really get a product right before trying to pawn off the latest and greatest (and still imperfect) version. Some say that's already happened with the iPhone. I can't really say since I don't own one.

My SO has an iPod Touch she got as a freebie with her recent Mac purchase, and I'll grant you, the interface is some slick shit. The iPhone just hasn't yet convinced me to ditch my current provider (I agree with you, they all sound like cheap walkie-talkies), probably because I'm a reluctant cell user in the first place. Will Android? I don't know, but I'm sure not going to bemoan that there's an option available to me when the day comes that I decide I absolutely have to have one or the other.

Shalom.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:19 pm

Seems the dev issues are being addressed by Google now, after months of silence. Good news!

Clearly, the videos of the OS in action show that it DOES exist. What doesn't yet exist are a billion widgets to go along with it. There's no official release yet, but Google is doing a good deal of work to make sure that there are a decent selection of widgets available once it goes public.

I also HOPE to enjoy the benefits that usually come with Open Source platforms, such as
1. Many, many useful FREE applications to go with it - and often a choice of different applications that do similar things customized to very specific uses.
2. Stability ensured by an active and diverse development community that is personally invested in the quality of the releases.
3. A user-customizable loadout of applications - so only what you need and want is installed.
4. Good or great performance due to #3.
5. Inexpensive options for those who don't want all the bells and whistles.
6. Choices of just about any hardware to run it on, since it's a platform with basic hardware requirements - not a proprietary OS developed for very specific hardware.

I think one of the biggest question marks is going to be stability. Apple got that right. If Google can get close with the open source benefits behind them, then they may very well have a successful platform.

I think by far one of the biggest advantages with this model is price. They won't have to count on customers signing up for a 2 year data/voice package north of $80 a month so they can convince the provider to subsidize the hardware so much. Not all Android phones will need insane processing power, because it will be possible to install just a basic package that is tailored to a specific task. Admittedly, it may take a while for these to appear - but Android seems designed for this kind of variation.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:38 pm

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:31 pm

Hoo-fucking-ray. NYT reports that T-Mobile will be the first to sell Android phones. For all the good they'll do me I might as well stick 'em up my ass.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:24 pm

Far be it from me to criticize you for what you do in your spare time, but T-Mobile is just the first company that will offer a phone sporting Android. So keep your pants on - if you want.

Google has announced the winners of the first Android Developer's Challenge.

Some cool sounding apps:

GoCart

Scan the barcode of any product using Android's built-in camera, GPS and location aware features to search for the best prices from both online and nearby, local stores.

Wish lists will help you stay organized. Save the products you've scanned into categories you define. Build a list for brainstorming gift ideas for the holiday season. Build another list for your own wedding registry. Any list can be shared with your friends on your social networking profile page using Google's OpenSocial API.

Price alerts will inform you when the price of a particular product drops within your range. Get these alerts sent directly to your phone's email inbox. If it's from a local store use the Android phone to call the store directly or even get directions using Android's built-in mapping application. If it's being sold online, use the web browser to buy right from your phone or even email the link to a friend.

Sounds too cool to actually work. Will have to download that one!

Ecorio

Ecorio allows the user to accurately calculate their travel carbon footprint. Given awareness of their travel carbon footprint, the user can take action in three ways: Reduce, Inspire, and Offset. The Reduce section of the application suggests carpooling and public transit alternatives for the trips the user has taken or is planning in the future. The Inspire section lets users share tips or stories on steps they have taken to reduce their own energy consumption. The Offset section allows users to invest in carbon reduction projects and offset their carbon footprint right over the phone.

No details on whether or not keeping the phone in your back pocket will throw off the carbon footprint detector.

Locale

Locale allows you to create Situations, which specify Conditions under which your Settings should change. For example, your At Work situation might notice when your location condition is 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, and triggers your ringer volume setting to vibrate. Locale is an innovative way to simplify your life.

Phone detects you are at work, and changes to vibrate only, or that you are in your favorite (but noisy) bar, and sets ringer to loud. Sweet.

Breadcrumbz

BreadCrumbz shows you real pictures of your route as you navigate, in addition to a map. Picture-based routes are easier to understand than map-based routes and are also more detailed, allowing you to do fun things like navigate indoors. You can easily create your own routes by "recording" them with your phone's camera and GPS. When you're done, simply email your route to friends or upload it to the web for the world to see with a single click.

For those times when you're at a show, and you KNOW your friend is there, but you can't find each other.

Teradesk

Teradesk is a virtual file storage and remote file access tool. User files are stored and controlled by the Teradesk Server and transferred in encrypted form to and from the cellphone. Teradesk allows transfers of any size with pause control, resume and full recovery of broken transfers. Whether your battery life ended or your Internet connection crashed there will be no data loss. Smart features permit total control over user disk space and content including hierarchical and relational navigation, file sharing, file versioning, comments on files and folders, GoogleDocs integration and remote access to other devices and computers running Teradesk.

Shit, we've got enterprise apps at work that try to do this - and fail!

Anyway, I'm pissed now. Gotta wait till my carrier gets one (or potentially move to Verizon), and keep this crap Nokia till that happens.

At least I'll probably get to see an HTC Dream (and maybe a couple other phones running Android) in the wild before I have to actually shell out to buy one.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:07 pm

And it's official. I'm waiting to hear the rollout schedule for when Google-phones will arrive at other providers besides T-Mobile.

I'm sure Beer Moon will have more to say as soon as he's done quivering with glee.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:14 pm

I was afraid they'd all be white!

The HTC handset apparently shares most hardware features with the Touch Diamond and Touch HD, so I guess we can expect similar performance from those devices with Android installed.

At this point, those are the main contenders imo - although I certainly wouldn't be upset if a faster more efficient processor was used.

I personally would forego the keyboard for a thinner device - which is the HD I believe.

Video #2 on this page has some more details about why it's going to succeed.

At $179 with a contract - T-Mobile is really doing a nice job with such a capable device. I hear they're capping 3G data at 1GB/month (soft-capping). No worries for me - I wasn't thinking about moving to T-Mobile anyway. I'll wait till Verizon or US Cellular pick it up.

Proprietary headphone jack! LAME!!
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:49 pm

Beer Moon wrote:Locale

Locale allows you to create Situations, which specify Conditions under which your Settings should change. For example, your At Work situation might notice when your location condition is 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, and triggers your ringer volume setting to vibrate. Locale is an innovative way to simplify your life.

Phone detects you are at work, and changes to vibrate only, or that you are in your favorite (but noisy) bar, and sets ringer to loud. Sweet.

Now that's quite awesome.

I've got one of those new-fangled iPhone 3Gs, and I think it's the cat's pajamas. But that doesn't mean I won't get something else in two years when my contract's up. Google does great things. In fact, the Google Maps app on the iPhone is one of the most useful things it's got.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Android Phones (Google OS)

Postby Shipley » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:29 pm

Anyone heard when the next android phone will launch? I'm hoping for an ATT or Verizon phone so I can split with Sprint knowing I'm getting a larger service area.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sunshinewonder » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:45 pm

Currently the data connection for the G1 through T-Mobile does not work in almost all of Madison.

From what I can see from the coverage map, http://compass.t-mobile.com/Default.aspx the lack of coverage includes the new Google offices on Willie.

This is frustrating. I guess T-Mobile figures all the college kids have iPhones and all the government workers have Blackberrys and no one in Madison wants to use the G1. *sniff*
sunshinewonder

Postby Beer Moon » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:32 pm

Yes it's lame. You have to go to Chicago to get 3G from T-Mobile.

The more I consider hopping to T-Mobile, the less likely it seems. Just going to have to wait for Verizon or Sprint to hop on board. Luckily, practically every handset manufacturer is on board working on devices specifically intended to run Android.

This article seems to think we'll see Sprint roll out an Android phone by Samsung in Q1 or Q2 09.

Other manufacturers rumored to have Android phones ready next summer are Motorola and Sony Ericcson - with HTC announcing they'll have a "portfolio" of Android devices ready then too.

6 more months. Bleh.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sunshinewonder » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:07 pm

Beer Moon wrote:Yes it's lame. You have to go to Chicago to get 3G from T-Mobile.

The more I consider hopping to T-Mobile, the less likely it seems. Just going to have to wait for Verizon or Sprint to hop on board. Luckily, practically every handset manufacturer is on board working on devices specifically intended to run Android.

I can't begin to be upset about not having 3G. Right now, I can't even get Edge or GPS signal on the G1 in Madison. No data at all! Not on the G1. I have a HTC Wizard/T-Mobile MDA and used it for data in Madison for the last 1.5 years. I work further east and there I can use the G1. I am not sure if I should return the G1 until T-Mobile can get it to work with all of the other providers they are using for roaming coverage.

I wouldn't mind it if I had to fiddle with my phones settings from time to time to get it to work, Windows Mobile 5 had a storage memory problem and needed little tweaks and it didn't bug me. But no signal at all for anything but phone calls and text messages is too much, especially since the last thing I use my phone for is talking.
sunshinewonder

Postby Shipley » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:16 am

gave up waiting for an android and bought an iPhone yesterday.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games