MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Rug for drum kit at Cardinal?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Rug for drum kit at Cardinal?

Postby spinseuss » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:46 pm

To any drummers or others who have noticed, is there a rug available to use under a drum kit at the Cardinal? I'm playing there tonight and am wondering if I need to bring one. I'm trying to decide if I should pick one up on my way home from work this afternoon.
spinseuss

Re: Rug for drum kit at Cardinal?

Postby lil bunny fufu » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:33 am

I don't know whether there's a house drum rug at the Cardinal, and my post here is too late even if I did.

That said, a good rule of thumb for this kind of thing is that if you can't or really don't want to do the gig without a given item, you need to bring that item with you to the gig. Further, unless its a large-dollar item (like, say, a PA), you really should own it if at all possible instead of continually having to borrow or rent. If you just can't figure out how to bring that item with you to every gig (through owning it, borrowing it, or renting it), you should figure out a work-around so that you can do a gig without it.

I'm not looking to bust your hump here specifically, just using this opportunity to toss out a friendly general gig tip.
lil bunny fufu
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:19 pm

Yup. Better to bring too much gear than to not have the one !#@*$ thing you need. Hey bartender, got an extra power strip? Sir? Sir?
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:39 pm

I'm a local bass player. I've been using the same beat up & stickered case full o' crap for about 20 years. Inside you'll usually find:
(2) 20' instrument cables
(1) 3' Speakon to 1/4" speaker cable
(1) Boss TU-12 tuner
(2) 2' speaker cables
(1) set of bass strings
(1) set of guitar strings
(1) 2' TRS cable
(1) amp power cable
(1) power strip
(1) 20' extention cord
(1) small flashlight
(1) combo screwdriver
(1) pliers
(1) Allen wrench kit
(1) Swiss Army knife
(1) felt tip marker
(1) small towel
+ various CDs and maybe some picks
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:56 pm

lil bunny fufu wrote:That said, a good rule of thumb for this kind of thing is that if you can't or really don't want to do the gig without a given item, you need to bring that item with you to the gig. Further, unless its a large-dollar item (like, say, a PA), you really should own it if at all possible instead of continually having to borrow or rent. If you just can't figure out how to bring that item with you to every gig (through owning it, borrowing it, or renting it), you should figure out a work-around so that you can do a gig without it.

I'm not looking to bust your hump here specifically, just using this opportunity to toss out a friendly general gig tip.

When I first read this post yesterday I tried to remember when I played at Momo a few months ago and after I had no clue realized - if you are a drummer and need a rug you should really have your own. What if you called the Momo and "someone" told you "oh yeah, we have a rug...somewhere". And then you got there and they told you, "funny thing it was just here last nite", what would you do?

I was also going to suggest checking out Menards as they have a decent selection of cheaper decent rugs. Or maybe go to the Re-Store on Cottage Grove road as they sometimes have pieces of carpeting (even cheaper) which would do the job as well.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lil bunny fufu » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:58 pm

supaunknown wrote:I'm a local bass player. I've been using the same beat up & stickered case full o' crap for about 20 years. Inside you'll usually find:
(2) 20' instrument cables
(1) 3' Speakon to 1/4" speaker cable
(1) Boss TU-12 tuner
(2) 2' speaker cables
(1) set of bass strings
(1) set of guitar strings
(1) 2' TRS cable
(1) amp power cable
(1) power strip
(1) 20' extention cord
(1) small flashlight
(1) combo screwdriver
(1) pliers
(1) Allen wrench kit
(1) Swiss Army knife
(1) felt tip marker
(1) small towel
+ various CDs and maybe some picks

Yep - we carry all that plus: a cable tester, AC outlet tester, spare fuses for every piece of gear in our rigs, spare batteries for everything in sight, spare flashlight bulbs, black gaff tape (NOT standard duct tape, which leaves really nasty residue on everything), white or some day-glo neon gaff tape for spiking the location of things like stands and/or monitor wedges and marking steps and other potential hazards in low-light areas, our good ear plugs, cheap-o foam earplugs for friends that show up and need 'em, minty gum, Advil, antacid tablets, Bean-O (our singer dude loves bean burritos, but they don't love him back).

Basically, whenever we run across something we ended up needing or wanting and didn't have, we get one and it goes in the box.
lil bunny fufu
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lil bunny fufu » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:02 pm

eriedasch wrote:I was also going to suggest checking out Menards as they have a decent selection of cheaper decent rugs. Or maybe go to the Re-Store on Cottage Grove road as they sometimes have pieces of carpeting (even cheaper) which would do the job as well.

The Gig Rug brand are pretty slick if you've got issues with your kick drum walking on you.

Slick gig tip for drummers #2 is, if you've got a rug, lay out your kit on it and mark the location of the stands on it with some tape. This generally helps quicken the process when you've got to haul ass to get on stage quick and you've got people helping get your kit up.
lil bunny fufu
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:04 pm

supaunknown wrote:(1) amp power cable

What? No backup?

But seriously, pretty good list, supa. I think the only thing I don't carry with me regularly is the allen wrenches, but I have regretted that when our light trees need tightening.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:36 pm

eriedasch wrote:
supaunknown wrote:(1) amp power cable

What? No backup?

Heh. I used to but after awhile came to the conclusion that the power cable was Favre-like and didn't need a backup.

I forgot to include blue painter's tape and 9V batteries on my list.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Scott » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:09 pm

No gig kit would be complete without condoms.

You could always put 'em over the drum feet, as well. Unless they're lubricated.
Scott
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:48 pm

Kinky.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Scott » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:08 pm

..I meant that the latex from the condoms may help to keep the drums from sliding around in case you don't have a rug.

It's possible some may lose the rug intentionally, though, because they enjoy the slippage... but that's another story entirely.

Lubricated condoms on the drums may cause some slippery wet spots on the stage. Condomsation.

Ok, back to drinking...
Scott
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:49 am

Scott wrote: It's possible some may lose the rug intentionally, though, because they enjoy the slippage... but that's another story entirely.

"Straighten the Rug" from Top Secret!
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Madison Music