MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Recommendations for Dublin/London/Paris

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

Recommendations for Dublin/London/Paris

Postby wallrock » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:35 am

I'm tagging along with some friends for a quick western Europe trip next month. We're planning on hitting Dublin, London and Paris over the course of 8 days. We've already got a line on a VIP tour of St. James Gate and one of my friends has expressed interest in the Irish House Party at the Landsdowne Hotel. Anyone have any other recommendations or tips? Thanks...
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Recommendations for Dublin/London/Paris

Postby mrak » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:43 am

In Paris:

If you have to choose between the Louvre and the Musée d'Orsay, go for the latter. Especially if you like Impressionist paintings.

It may not be a great choice in November/December, but Luxembourg Gardens is a beautiful place to spend a couple of hours.

The Eiffel Tower is best admired from across the Seine on the Trocadéro.

While away lots of time just wandering around and sitting in cafés.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:52 am

In Dublin, don't hang out in cafe's. Hang out in Pubs. My suggestion to you is to find Bruxelle's on Harry Street. Start early because they end early. Go from there. Sleep in your car if you have to.

Irish food sucks, and be prepared for locals to make fun of your accent.

Please ask them how they like their smoking ban and report back.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:04 pm

Dublin

Take the dorky double-decker bus tour to get your bearings.
You need to do the Guiness tour.
Walk Grafton St and the Temple Bar area.

Contrary to popular belief, the food in Ireland is very, very good. The Irish are very proud of their local meats and produce and it shows up in the meals.

If you like steak, Shanahan's on the Green is highly recommended.

We also had some fantastic Indian food, but I can't remember the name of the joint. It was in the Grafton St. area.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Velvet Coffin » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:41 pm

Question: I have a four-hour layover in Dublin next month and I'm planning on sprinting to the nearest taxi and asking them to take me somewhere. Can I make it to North Dublin from the airport for a proper Irish breakfast?

Advice: Paris's Champs Elysee is fantastic for people-watching, and the only place in France where I received American-style service in the cafes. (That is, they rushed me out as our restaurants do. Believe me, after a few weeks of loooong meals and multiple requests for the bill I was grateful.) I'm glad I went to the top of the Eiffel Tower, and I'm glad I walked the jumbled streets of Montmartre. I loved wandering Pere Lachaise Cemetery and next month I'm going back to catch the Crypts. Also, smoke a Cuban while you're there.
Velvet Coffin
Forum Addict

Postby Bunny Chow » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:10 pm

Velvet Coffin wrote: I loved wandering Pere Lachaise Cemetery and next month I'm going back to catch the Crypts. Also, smoke a Cuban while you're there.

If you run across Henri Garat's RIP, please take a picture for me. Famous french movie-star.

Cuban's are over-rated. Hondura is doing a way better job these days.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:34 am

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to try to convince the fellow travelers to spring for a hotel in the Temple Bar area, just to be in the middle of everything. So far I've tracked down a few decent deals. I've got little desire to go the hostel route now that I'm no longer a teenager.

Cubans may certainly be overrated, but Prohibition makes them seem all the more attractive. I didn't even think about until it was mentioned, but I'll certainly make sure to enjoy a few.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:50 am

Grafton Street and Temple Bar are great, but no need to stay there, Dublin is tight. Lots of great shops and bars, and U2's hotel is right there. If you are into Irish hx, do a tour, it may be slightly cheesy, but you will be pleased. See Guinness and Jameson's, well worth it. Also, see Brazen Head, oldest bar in Dublin (the world?). Museums are great too.

London and Paris, where to begin? In London, see everything. In Paris, ditto. D'Orsay is great, but don't skip Le Louvre. Mona Lisa. Its much smaller than you think. Montmartre, Notre Dame, Eiffel, the Left Bank, Hemingway's haunts. London is great, I saw so many museums and sights, all great. Just enjoy.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:32 am

Bunny Chow wrote:My suggestion to you is to find Bruxelle's on Harry Street. Start early because they end early. Go from there. Sleep in your car if you have to.

Thanks for the tip. We wrapped up a night at Bruxelle's after driving up to Bushmills during the day - a truly excellent place. It's actually a late bar and was open until 2 AM. There's a great statue of the lead singer of Thin Lizzy outside, and after asking nicely I was allowed to get a picture with the model inside the bar. Great times.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby motoroiljoe » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:17 pm

If you do the Jameson tour, be sure to volunteer for tasting at the end. True, everyone gets a small sample, but if you're picked as a taster, you'll get to sample Powers, Paddy, Jameson, scotch, and bourbon to compare. Very cool experience.

On a side note, the Foggy Dew in the Temple is great. A younger crowd of artists both local and immigrant.
motoroiljoe

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:24 pm

Def. do that, I was picked when I went in 2006 and they printed me off an official Irish Whiskey taster certificate that I have framed in my bar.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:30 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Def. do that, I was picked when I went in 2006 and they printed me off an official Irish Whiskey taster certificate that I have framed in my bar.

I got one from 2002.....I'm looking at it right now. Whiskey tasting was a lot of fun, and I learned a lot at the same time.

If the brewpub Porterhouse is still there, that's a must visit. Or Mssrs. McGuire.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Velvet Coffin » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:05 pm

Revisiting this with post-trip wisdom.

A layover in Dublin will be no more than a layover, and a particularly grim one, too. Inadequate resources led to hours-long lines through immigration and security both in and out of Europe. Yuck. What an awful airport.

Paris was great, even in winter. Some recommended, cheap, and magnificent stops include:
• The Catacombs, where millions of centuries-dead bones are piled in deep underground tunnels. A morbid and reverent delight! It's problematically popular, though; line up early. You have to be pretty fit to make it through.
• La Musee de Moyen-Age, with beautiful relics of the medieval age including the famous Lady and Unicorn tapestries.
• L'Opera Garnier, a beautiful arthouse in its own right and also inspiration for the Phantom of the Opera. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this tour. It's just so quintessentially grand and Parisian!
• The mind-bogglingly huge Pantheon, where I gaped at Foucault's Pendulum and saw the tombs of Voltaire, Rousseau, and Marie Curie. There's a lot to see here and I've rarely heard it mentioned. Consider it an underappreciated marvel.
• A libertine club. Boring. Things are kinkier at the Inferno every third Sunday.

Paris's Metro is cheap and covers the city. You can spend too much on food if you like but you can also grab a quick, inexpensive meal on almost any street. I don't think I paid more than 8 Euro for any sight or museum. It was actually a ridiculously affordable trip.
Velvet Coffin
Forum Addict

Return to Travel