MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Area man tired of pretending to be a David Lynch fan.

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Re: Area man tired of pretending to be a David Lynch fan.

Postby rrnate » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:39 pm

I have to say that I've always had a good time watching pretty much every Lynch movie, excepting "Dune" and "The Elephant Man".

Also - I totally loved Inland Empire. I think Lynch might have peaked w/ "Mulholland Drive", though my favorite movie of his is "Fire Walk With Me".
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:08 pm

Ducatista wrote:The incredibly beautiful woman in an incredibly ugly situation (and guise) is part of the point, I think.

Of course it is. But you used her appearance as an example of a "gorgeous surface" in the film, which it most decidedly -- and intentionally -- is not.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:19 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
christopher_robin wrote:I just watched LOST HIGHWAY.

Lost Highway is the movie that I most like, or at least want to like. Robert Blake is creepy without acting and Patricia Arquette is.......Patricia Arquette. More than that though, I liked a lot of things about that movie. I haven't watched it in years.

It's really worth multiple viewings. Central puzzle aside, there are all these incredible set pieces--the murders, the party, the highway chase scenes--and amazing performances by Arquette, Pullman, and of course Blake.

Last filmed performances by Richard Pryor and Jack Nance.

More weird details, culled from
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116922/trivia

* The house that Fred Madison lives in, along with most of the furniture in it, belongs to, and was designed by David Lynch .

* David Lynch said he has only recently (2002) realized what subconsciously inspired the film: the O.J. Simpson trial. He said that the trial was a major influence on his mind during the stage of writing this script, which deals with a man who killed his wife. Curiously enough, Lynch cast Robert Blake to play the Mystery Man, who is a major character in the film - years later, Blake would be put on trial for killing his own wife.

* Robert Loggia only appeared as Mr. Eddy because of his former desire to play Frank Booth in Blue Velvet (1986). He showed up for an audition, unaware that Dennis Hopper had already been cast, and proceeded to wait for three hours, growing increasingly agitated. Upon seeing Lynch and learning of Hopper's casting, Loggia proceeded to give an extremely profane rant, which remained in Lynch's head for years as what would eventually become Mr. Eddy's road rage scene. Loggia, years later, received a phone call from Lynch requesting his performance for this movie.

* Fred's detestation of camcorders (and the motive behind) is really David Lynch's own.

* David Lynch says that the first scene in the movie is based upon an incident in his own life, when, one morning, his intercom buzzed, and when he answered it a voice said 'Dick Laurant is dead'. When Lynch looked out the window, there was no-one outside.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:33 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:But you used her appearance as an example of a "gorgeous surface" in the film, which it most decidedly -- and intentionally -- is not.

I don't think we're looking at it the same way. To me, Rossellini's still undeniably gorgeous, even with the Adriene-Barbeau-in-The-Fog hairdo and lurid shadow. She just gives a whole lotta creepy with her gorgeous.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:36 pm

christopher_robin wrote: amazing performances by Arquette, Pullman

Sorry, but there is simply no such thing as a good Patricia Arquette performance.
If I had to make a list of the 10 worst actors ever, she'd occupy at least two positions.
Good Bill Pullman performances, on the other hand, are rare, but not impossible.

As for Rossellini still being gorgeous -- I guess... if you find the whole beaten-down painted whore look appealing. I mean, you and I both know what she really looks like. But if you'd never seen her before, I can't imagine anyone finding her attractive in that get-up. For my money, Hitchcock was much better at the whole "gorgeous woman in ugly situation" scenario, Isabella's mom in Notorious being Exhibit A.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:59 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
christopher_robin wrote: amazing performances by Arquette, Pullman

Sorry, but there is simply no such thing as a good Patricia Arquette performance.
If I had to make a list of the 10 worst actors ever, she'd occupy at least two positions.
Good Bill Pullman performances, on the other hand, are rare, but not impossible.

Hey! Wait a minute. What about Pat Arquette in ... hmm. Uh. Upon further review you might be right. But she does have that oddly patented Arquette bodaciousness (even Dave has a smidge). Plus she's got them cute snaggleteeth like a little puppy! Arf-arf!
No Nate, I didn't say "Bocephusness".
Lou Diamond Phillips is perennially atop my list of worst actors. Except for his adequate portrayal in the craptastic Courage Under Fire.
Pullman/Paxton are cool by me. Their individual resumes are pretty solid. No killing either Bill.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:06 pm

FYI - Bill Pullman is in a new movie directed by Jennifer Lynch. Is it good? I don't know, but I'm planning on watching it.

I'd take Mulholland Drive over Lost Highway as Lost Highway always seems like it's edited by someone at MTV, but I really like 'em both. To me, all my favorite Lynch movies (Blue Velvet, FWWM, Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway and Inland Empire) are just really good horror movies. I realized that what I want out of horror movies is that same sort of creeping dread feeling that Lynch is so good at creating.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Movies