MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Best Friday Night Fish Frys

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Best Friday Night Fish Frys

Postby crevice beatle » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:21 pm

I'm very inexperienced when it comes to Madison fish frys. I've had a craving for some good perch and I'm going to try and hold out until I get paid this Friday.

The cod at the Avenue is awesome but also an obvious choice. Every so often, I used to go to Wonder's on Fridays (which was good, but seemed a bit overated by the regs). I haven't tried since it changed to Alchemy.

I'm looking for some ideas on other places I may not have had. With price, quality, quanitity, batter, restuarant crowdedness, service etc being factored in, which places would you forons recommend and why?
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Re: Best Friday Night Fish Frys

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:26 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41150

You can also search on "fish fry" in the Advanced Search above, and get about 8 pages of hits. Not trying to be a jerk, but it's been discussed at length on these pages over the years.

Also,

http://www.madisonfishfry.com/
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:32 pm

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:08 pm

crevice beatle wrote:The cod at the Avenue is awesome but also an obvious choice. Every so often, I used to go to Wonder's on Fridays (which was good, but seemed a bit overated by the regs). I haven't tried since it changed to Alchemy.

I'm looking for some ideas on other places I may not have had. With price, quality, quanitity, batter, restuarant crowdedness, service etc being factored in, which places would you forons recommend and why?

I don't mind rehashing this issue because I am still looking for "good/great" fish frys.

And what I'm really interested in finding is good baked/broiled fish (with the butter to dip in). And a good salad bar or just a decent salad offering would be a plus.

My faves used to be Esquire and Brothers 3 but grown tired of the same ol'... Esquire seems very assembly-line-ish the last few times. Brothers 3 - great fish offerings (except the typical fried cod), but not much else.

I had the Avenue fish boil once and did not like it. Soggy fish and boiled veggies/potatoes sitting in a puddle of water does not do it for me.

One place that has really impressed us lately has been Rex's Innkeeper in Waunakee. GREAT baked/broiled haddock and pretty good salad bar. It does get busy but the place is big. A bit of a drive, but lately has been worth it.

Went to Toby's once quite late (10p?) and still something like a 45 min wait. Is that place always crazy busy for friday fish fry or did we just pick the wrong friday to try it?

I love the Old Fashioned and Dohbon, but no broiled/baked.

Tried Talula once. Everything was good except the fish itself.

Whomever mentioned Culver's in that other thread ought to be questioned. A few months ago in a hurry but wanted fish I opted for the Walleye dinner and the fish was possibly the worst / fishiest tasting piece of yuk I have attempted to eat in a long time. And about the same price as most real restaurants.

Cannot remember if I've had the fish fry at Alchemy, but based on other visits there would assume it is good. Madisonfishfry.com has a good review.

Anyone ever been to Wilson's on Atwood for fish?
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:50 am

Wando's has surprisingly yummy FF with a lite KFC-ish flavored breading. Mmm, 11 herbs & spices.

The bowling alley behind East Towne also has a good FF.

Don't dig Brothers3 FF much myself, mainly cuz "grease" is the word there.

Pretty disappointed with our last FF experience at the Esquire. Overfried. Frozen fish sticks? Still like most everything else + the staff there though.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mock_talks » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:10 pm

I grew up in northern WI where fish fries were abundant. I'll be honest its hard to find a comparison here to the fresh fish and great salad bars of the northwoods. Thankfully my brothers deliver me fresh perch occasionally, but every once in awhile I have to head out on a search for my own. This is some of what I have found:

I enjoy Brother's 3 Fish Fry, the disappointing thing is that they don't have a salad bar, nor does the fish fry come with salad. Typically I order it on the side, while its fresh, they don't offer any toppings besides croutons and cheese. The hashbrowns are good and greasy, it is hard to say no to the cheese and onions add on.

Halverson's between McFarland and Stoughton has a decent salad bar and fish fry. They also have good coconut shrimp!

The Beachhouse in McFarland has good fish fry, their walleye is awesome, not sure if they have perch, but I would think they do. They also have some of the best hashbrowns around (they are on my top 3 list). Oh, they also have some great tarter sauce.

My favorite place for good lake perch used to be the Marshall Pub. They also have a salad bar. I haven't been there in a couple of years though so can't make any promises.

Village Green in Middleton has good fish fry, served with cole slaw.

Mulligans in Oregon has great fish fry, I've only been there once, but I remember being extremely happy with my order. Also they had some good clam chowder.

I've heard from friends that Feiler's off of Verona Rd has good fish, but I have yet to try it. Also, a friend recently mentioned that the Big 10 Pub on Regent Street had a very good fish fry and got a lot of food.

Captain Bill's in Middleton has good fish and a nice salad.

Toby's is decent. Its always busy and the ordering process is weird. But they make good drinks for while you wait!

I haven't found many outstanding baked cod meals around. I have actually sufficed to broiling cod at home when I'm in the mood. A bit of lemon and butter...you can't go wrong.

...ok,I'll take a breath now.
Last edited by mock_talks on Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mock_talks

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:20 pm

mock_talks wrote: Also, a friend recently mentioned that the Big 10 Pub on Regent Street and said they had a very good fish fry and got a lot of food.

I second the Big Ten Pub. It's only about five blocks from my house, but I always check the Field House and Kohl Center schedules before going. If either is booked, I skip it as it gets too crowded for seating. Great bluegill and lake perch (among other offerings). But no salad bar.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:23 pm

mock_talks wrote:I'll be honest its hard to find a comparison here to the fresh fish and great salad bars of the northwoods.

True... and many of these southerners don't understand that you're supposed to have rye bread with fish fry, not some other bread.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby RastassJr » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:42 pm

The Green Lantern in McFarland has the best fish fry in my opinion.

Prices are cheap, Fish is top notch and the coleslaw, the best around as well.

There is no other fish fry around Dane county for the price that will touch Green Lantern in McFarland. :D
RastassJr

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:01 pm

RastassJr wrote:The Green Lantern in McFarland has the best fish fry in my opinion.

Prices are cheap, Fish is top notch and the coleslaw, the best around as well.

There is no other fish fry around Dane county for the price that will touch Green Lantern in McFarland. :D

Unfortunately, it's not all-you-can-eat anymore. Another victim of the surging price of cod.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gwendolyn » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:09 pm

Oddly enough, one of the best Friday fish fry's I've had is at Casa de Lara in Fitchburg. It's been a year or so, but if I remember right it is baked fish, black beans, rice, guacamole, and some other stuff. Points for uniqueness, and actually having a decent non-breaded fish.

Anyone else had this recently? We've been meaning to go back, it just hasn't happened yet.
gwendolyn

Postby mock_talks » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:53 pm

Unfortunately, I think Casa De Lara in Fitchburg closed...I think it may be Casa Del Sol now. I wonder if they would have a similar fish entree as that sounds great! I love good Mexican food and combined with a nice fish, well, even a good fish taco is hard to beat. I actually make them with leftover perch when I have the homemade stuff.
mock_talks

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:58 pm

The one I've had most lately is Hubbard Avenue Diner's in Middleton. But that's more about my fondness for Hubbard than for the fry per se.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:59 pm

mock_talks wrote:I actually make them with leftover perch when I have the homemade stuff.

I've got a brother-in-law who loves to ice fish. He is always giving us a mess of bluegill. Our leftovers are also used for fish tacos.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:21 pm

Dobhan (on Atwood) of all places usually has a fish special on Fridays that's pretty good.

And there's always East Side Business(men). The food is better than edible, they have a salad bar, and the inimitable atmosphere makes it all worthwhile (along with the sunset view over Lake Monona).

Or count me in to share that mess of bluegill fried in egg batter and cracker crumbs (sigh...).
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews