MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 85.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:22 pm

Found a bottle at Flanagan's in Appleton over the holiday weekend. I haven't cracked it open yet, but for having debated buying one on Ebay over the years, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it's still being bottled in small batches.

From Mr. Adams' website:

Samuel Adams® partnered Felchlin, a renowned Swiss chocolatier, to develop a unique innovation, Samuel Adams® Chocolate Bock. We started with a complex selection of carefully roasted malts combined with hand-selected Noble hops from Bavaria, the world’s oldest growing area. After using a centuries old brewing process, called Krausening, we slowly aged the beer on a bed of rare dark cocoa nibs from Felchlin®, a renowned Swiss chocolatier... The resulting beer, Samuel Adams® Chocolate Bock, has a big, malty character that is combined with the subtle sweetness of chocolate, giving this brew a complex full-body taste with a velvety finish.

Beer Advocate doesn't necessarily rave over it, and RateBeer is being mighty fussy for me right now.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:40 pm

Brooklyn makes a chocolate stout that I like better, but I am curious to hear what you think.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:42 am

Color me officially disappointed. After all kinds of excitement, plus a really good dinner match, I was met with a beer that has very little chocolate flavor (for it being the first word in the name), and not much more of any other flavor. Period.

Too much alcohol burn and thick body for the flimsy flavor delivered. Definitely not worth the money.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:39 am

The dozens of cases of Natural Ice that I purchased at Flanny's in the mid-90's were always top notch.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:04 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Color me officially disappointed. After all kinds of excitement, plus a really good dinner match, I was met with a beer that has very little chocolate flavor (for it being the first word in the name), and not much more of any other flavor. Period.

Too much alcohol burn and thick body for the flimsy flavor delivered. Definitely not worth the money.

Werd, I didn't want to buzzkill you, but that was my experience. Try that Brooklyn chocolate stout http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/45/680/ its the shit (and its hi-test). Also, the coffee vanilla porter at Alchemy is the nuts as well, different flavors but I am betting you will dig it.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:20 am

Hm, Samuel Adams doesn't make any superlative beers. Why should this one be any different?
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:44 am

I like the lager or Boston ale on tap if its all they got at the bar (e.g., Logan airport), but yeah in general Sam is very meh. Its like here, the smaller microbrews are the better ones in NE.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:55 am

That's no microbrew--the Boston Beer Company is the largest American-owned brewery in the United States.

And "meh" sums up my feelings about all of their brews succintly.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:00 pm

I love their Black Porter and Cherry Wheat, and the original lager is perfectly serviceable (especially for par-boiling brats).

If they're a microbrew, they're remarkably prolific. If they're a macrobrew, they're a thousand-thousand times better than AB/InBev or SABMiller. Ain't nothing wrong with either of those possibilities.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:06 pm

They do trade on the "microbrew/craft brew" style, or at least they used to. But yeah, its a huge company. I don't think that they brew most of their beer in New England anymore. Even Harpoon and Magic Hat really aren't micro anymore, a lot of expansion in the last several years. In general, I like the craft beers out here better than I do back home. There are some exceptions.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:14 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I love their Black Porter and Cherry Wheat, and the original lager is perfectly serviceable (especially for par-boiling brats).

If they're a microbrew, they're remarkably prolific. If they're a macrobrew, they're a thousand-thousand times better than AB/InBev or SABMiller. Ain't nothing wrong with either of those possibilities.

Say what you will about AB/Inbev, but they do carry Leffe Blonde and several excellent German beers. They are fuckers and they have been trying to push around the abbeys in Belgium for years, but I love that Leffe...and my German weiss! Stella on the other hand...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:14 pm

60% of their beers are brewed in Cinci.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Villanelle » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:04 am

Sam Adams Black Lager is actually a pretty great beer-- I recommend trying it.
Villanelle

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails