MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 28.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Monroe Street Bistro - worst dining experience

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Monroe Street Bistro - worst dining experience

Postby redrose » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:03 pm

thank you for bringing it back on topic...
redrose

Postby beenie » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:21 pm

Crow wrote:I enjoy massive burgers dripping with fixin's as much as the next guy, but often I want something smaller and simpler. Where can I get a humble diner-style burger? Just a slim patty with mustard, ketchup, pickles and onions. The kind of burger that Wimpy feasts upon in Popeye comics. Something you can hold in one hand. Like a McDonald's hamburger, but... not. Does such a thing exist?

I hate to go the fast food route here, but Dairy Queen fits the bill nicely for me when I want a "normal" burger (and only because the burger I typically order at Culver's is too big for one hand. Then again, I have small hands).
beenie
Forum Addict

Postby Chairman Meow » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:51 pm

I love a good burger, and am up for adventure..., so I went to the Bistro last Thursday evening to check out the MSB.

My date & I obsess over burgers, so the MSB Burger was ordered for each of us.

Black on the outside, bloody on the inside. Loved it. Wouldn't have a burger any other way.
The frites are not really frites, but instead, really good fries. What's the difference? Frites should be deep fried twice; once at a lower temp & again at a higher temp. Frites should have a lovely blond crispy exterior and a super tender interior. Nonetheless, good fries at the Bistro.

So..., maybe it's all just a matter of opinion. Some folks like their burger like meatloaf, others like it black & red. And so it goes.

Will be back regularly! Keep up the good work & good service.
Chairman Meow

Postby Broadsheet » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:22 pm

I've been there for lunch twice, both wonderful. I had the mussels with frites both times, friends had the steak frites and another time a sandwich.

The mussels and broth were fabulous, really garlicky and classic, and I wrecked a pair of pants slobbering it. The cone of spiced fries accompanied by homemade aioli (garlic mayo) is a classy presentation. Service was fine and ambience was nice, though I'd prefer wooden tables or else tablecloths to the composite ones they have.

Someone should mention the sparkling bar with its big beer and beer glass selection, and the overall cleanliness of the place.

The ideal of a steak for a lot of people is a good char on the outside, rare and juicy inside. I wonder if the complainers get it.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:11 pm

Broadsheet wrote:spiced fries

Sweet jesus those words should never go together. I wonder if the Bistro lovers get it.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:24 am

Went to the Bistro once, it was ok. I had the lamb chops and they were ok and almost warm. The service was nearly adequate. The amount of food was barely adequate for the price.

The tables were far too close together for my tastes. I felt like I was eavesdropping on each of the two tables to either side of ours and didn't want to have a conversation with my dining partner for fear of interrupting the conversations of which we had no choice in listening.

The real shocker for me was what happened to the guy at the table next to ours. He had the mussels and couldn't finish them all. Naturally, he wanted to take what remained home. His waitress told him he could not because the chef doesn't allow it. Yes, she actually said, "The chef doesn't allow it." The chef was afraid someone might get ill if they are not properly reheated.

The diner said "Oh, ok. Thank you, We're ready for the check then." And he wasn't upset either. In fact, he went on and on about how great everything was before leaving.

Hey chef, couldn't any food taken from a restaurant not properly reheated make someone sick? Perhaps you might put your no mussels takeaway policy on the menu before someone orders them and then tells you "Go ahead and stop me" when they want to leave with their leftovers.

And, if I can't take it home, I wouldn't pay for all of it, either.

Sucre, part 2?
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:36 am

Ducatista wrote:
Broadsheet wrote:spiced fries

Sweet jesus those words should never go together. I wonder if the Bistro lovers get it.

?
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:56 am

I don't know about "spiced fries," but my understanding was that they're just plain old fries. Maybe they've done something different since last I was there. Garlic salt?

I learned not too long ago that they don't do any takeout service at MSB. That's unfortunate, but not surprising. I wouldn't be shocked, however, if they didn't let leftovers leave simply because they don't stock any containers. "The chef doesn't allow it" could very well be a way of indicating "no carry-out of any kind" that makes it seem like that's how it's supposed to be by virtue of the food. Makes people question it less.

Walter, I get your anxiety about the closeness, but (and I think I mentioned this in the review), I really dug it. It felt right for the spot. Just gotta let go a little. Inch closer to nirvana. ;)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:01 am

i had the "bistro" burger last night at the laurel. it was in every way tastier than it's brother next door at the msb. considerably cheaper as well.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:05 pm

Chairman Meow wrote:a lovely blond crispy exterior and a super tender interior.

Sounds like an old gf....
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:51 pm

boston_jeff wrote:?

"?" what? I hate overly seasoned fries, and that's exactly what I got at MSB. Was there a sale on bulk spices or something?

The second sentence was just an homage to Broadsheet's phrasing.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:51 pm

I've been there a few times, and I've never had a bad experience, although it was a bit disconcerting to see a friend's food whisked away before he was finished.

At risk of being dubbed Mr. Obvious....it is very much like dining at Brasserie V. Maybe the market will truly support both.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:19 pm

I was there last week for an evening at the bar, with no hassles (one reason I love bar service), although I didn't try to take anything home, either. Went specifically to see local group Mal-O-Dua, which was great, but I'm also biased.

Went well enough-- the quail I had was great, and the brussels sprouts were possibly the first time I actually liked eating that vegetable. A companion mentioned off-hand, "Boy, you're going to be enjoying that side for a while," and yes, so right-- I could taste them the next morning.

The selection of tap beers (especially from Belgium) is pretty outstanding. Great for an occasional visit in my book, but it's certainly not going to be a budget-conscious night out.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:44 pm

Ducatista wrote:
boston_jeff wrote:?

"?" what? I hate overly seasoned fries, and that's exactly what I got at MSB. Was there a sale on bulk spices or something?

Last time I was there the spice in question was black pepper. Which didn't seem too out of place to me. Maybe it varies on the whim of the chef.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zelda » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:54 am

I was there about a month ago (also specifically to hear Mal-O-Dua which was great) and split a bottle of wine with a friend. We needed something to munch on so we got the fries. They were outstanding! I was thinking, "why eat any other fires?" I'd repeat the entire experience gladly. Music, wine, fries. Lovely evening.
zelda
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews