MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
pax
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Katy Perry

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: Katy Perry

Postby juanton » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:44 pm

Marvell wrote:
juanton wrote:
Kyle Motor wrote:Don't blame the tool, blame the "pro"......who could also be a tool. Is this too easy?

We have a winner. It's as if Digidesign fails to see the irony in their product name.

Hence the chorus of the song I wrote this summer:

...And now you know just why I wince
Every time I see you with that fool
You could be the Queen of the Universe
He's just another Pro Tool...

- "ProTool," G Funkus Maximus

You and GZA may have to work out the obvious copyright issue. When exactly was your masterpiece penned?

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:53 pm

christopher_robin wrote:Dig, I mostly listen to music that's old, really old, like 20-30, or 50-60, or 300 years ago. But I'm also a fan of modern music. This is going to sound a bit mad, but I mostly want to post this for the record--let's see what's what in two years.

The second major Katy Perry single is also seriously stupendous:

Incredibly apt drum programming.

So, christopher_robin, do you like the song? You are obviously impressed with her business acumen and her production team, and if I ever happen to hear the song, I will give it more attention that I would have otherwise. However, nothing you have said makes me want to seek it out. You make it sound like a concept car, more of an application of design theory than a piece of cool music that sounds fresh and gets you dancin' the first and twentieth time you hear it. Is it all just ones and zeros to you now? Are you in the Matrix? OK, I took it a little far, but I think you can catch my drift.

Regarding the T-Pain auto-tune sound on Tropical Riddims, there has been crossover from American dance/pop to Jamaican dance/pop and vice-versa since forever, e.g. "My Boy Lollipop". The robot sound is just one of the latest iterations. Look for more bhangra beats too - I occasionally listen to bhangra internet stations, and I have heard some songs with samples of Western auto-tuned bits.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:17 pm

so robot voice = bad, but robot band = ok?
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:22 pm

Robot bands and vox are cool. Not so sure about Katy Perry.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:27 pm

juanton wrote:You and GZA may have to work out the obvious copyright issue.

I dunno - I think we appeal to slightly different demographics.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:35 pm

christopher_robin wrote:So, I was getting a haircut and they have the new "hip-hop" station on, 93 something, and first of all it's not recognizably hip-hop at all, but secondly EVERY SINGLE SONG is maxing that cranked-up autotuner maneuver, from Akon to T-Pain, whom I understand we have to thank for this mercilessly ubiquitous stupid production trick.

I can't stand the gimmick either ... but I'm pretty sure you have Cher to thank for its popularity.

"Do you belieeeeeeeeeeeve ... " and so on.

I have to go kill myself now to get that fucker out of my head. Goodbye, cruel, pitch perfect world.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:47 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:Goodbye, cruel, pitch perfect world.

Which reminds me of a Neil Young anecdote I remember reading in Rolling Stone back in the earl 80's.

Ol' Neil had been asked to participate in an ALL-CANADIAN version of one of those "We Are the World" cheap-way-to-purchase-a-delicious-self-approval exercises which were big in the industry back then. When it came time for Mr. Young's vocal cameo, the producer kvetched thusly: "Umm...Neil, I think you were a little flat there."

To which Neil Young replied:

"Hey, man - that's just my style."
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:58 pm

If I could turn back time, if I could find a way.....I would destroy Robo-Cher.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:24 pm

Kyle Motor wrote:If I could turn back time, if I could find a way.....I would destroy Robo-Cher.

She'd just end up being replaced by some other dude.

history
I went skiing at Heavenly roughly a week after Sonny Bono died there. We kept looking for the tree that did him in. Never found it. Turns out a lot of trees look alike.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:55 am

supaunknown wrote:history
I went skiing at Heavenly roughly a week after Sonny Bono died there. We kept looking for the tree that did him in. Never found it. Turns out a lot of trees look alike.

Damn it, I just choked on my Fruity Pebbles.

Why couldn't it have been Cher? "Do you Believe in Love" would have been much cooler had Sonny Bono sang it as his comeback.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:11 am

juanton wrote:
supaunknown wrote:history

Damn it, I just choked on my Fruity Pebbles.

Why couldn't it have been Cher? "Do you Believe in Love" would have been much cooler had Sonny Bono sang it as his comeback.

Hell, he could've done "Pammie's On A Bummer X-Tra Hott Dance Remix Spring Break 2001" and it would've been something.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:20 pm

acereraser wrote:
christopher_robin wrote:Dig, I mostly listen to music that's old, really old, like 20-30, or 50-60, or 300 years ago. But I'm also a fan of modern music. This is going to sound a bit mad, but I mostly want to post this for the record--let's see what's what in two years.

So, christopher_robin, do you like the song? You are obviously impressed with her business acumen and her production team, and if I ever happen to hear the song, I will give it more attention that I would have otherwise. However, nothing you have said makes me want to seek it out. You make it sound like a concept car, more of an application of design theory than a piece of cool music that sounds fresh and gets you dancin' the first and twentieth time you hear it. Is it all just ones and zeros to you now? Are you in the Matrix? OK, I took it a little far, but I think you can catch my drift.

This is a very astute response--poetic, even. You totally get it.

No, I'm not in the matrix here. Check the live version (probably backing tapes, but it's illuminating to hear it as a live song. Imagine stumbling on to this act live, in a bar?)

http://perezhilton.com/tv/index.php?key ... rt=0&end=7

This is a good song, and it has a hell of a hook. It's going to be in your head if you listen.

Watch her stage moves, check out that incredible wardrobe(!), and how professionally she carries herself for someone so young.

She completely owns the stage in this high-tension environment, and listen to her voice--she can really sing, all snarky autotune jokes aside.

My awe of the Katy Perry juggernaut is in very large part derived from my sense that she is crafting her own iconography. This is hard. Recent examples of this explicit self-definition include Eminem, Jay-Z and earlier, Billy Idol. She seems to have supreme control of the situation; her self-manifestation is inseparable from the songs themselves. Many of my absolute favorite acts--Meat Puppets and Husker Du, to pick a couple of random examples--had no idea how to project their images with such thrillingly high-concept definition.

Really, she reminds me of no one since Deborah Harry and Madonna circa "Borderline," which I suppose you could also say is a dull pop song, but marked the moment that Madonna washed over all American culture like a tidal wave (bracelets, anyone?)

We'll see if Perry can do the same. Like I said, let's see what's what in two years. But I think she has tremendous potential.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:37 pm

When Madonna starts bashing Guy Ritchie as a fag for the crimes of being A) fashionable, and B) her ex, please let me know.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:33 pm

christopher_robin wrote:
acereraser wrote:

This is a very astute response--poetic, even. You totally get it.

No, I'm not in the matrix here. Check the live version (probably backing tapes, but it's illuminating to hear it as a live song. Imagine stumbling on to this act live, in a bar?)

http://perezhilton.com/tv/index.php?key ... rt=0&end=7

This is a good song, and it has a hell of a hook. It's going to be in your head if you listen.

Watch her stage moves, check out that incredible wardrobe(!), and how professionally she carries herself for someone so young.

She completely owns the stage in this high-tension environment, and listen to her voice--she can really sing, all snarky autotune jokes aside.

My awe of the Katy Perry juggernaut is in very large part derived from my sense that she is crafting her own iconography. This is hard. Recent examples of this explicit self-definition include Eminem, Jay-Z and earlier, Billy Idol. She seems to have supreme control of the situation; her self-manifestation is inseparable from the songs themselves. Many of my absolute favorite acts--Meat Puppets and Husker Du, to pick a couple of random examples--had no idea how to project their images with such thrillingly high-concept definition.

Really, she reminds me of no one since Deborah Harry and Madonna circa "Borderline," which I suppose you could also say is a dull pop song, but marked the moment that Madonna washed over all American culture like a tidal wave (bracelets, anyone?)

We'll see if Perry can do the same. Like I said, let's see what's what in two years. But I think she has tremendous potential.

I watched the link (thanks), and even though I think I can avoid having the song go through my head the rest of the day, I will agree with you that Perry seems realer than most. I never liked Madonna, so I will avoid comparing her to Perry, so I would put her more as a cross of Annie Lennox and Sheena Easton. Moderately sexy, bubblegummy, and arty at the same time. Perry's stage presence and voice were surprisingly good, you were spot-on on those counts.

Hmm, now that I think about it, maybe I am just biased against Americans. When I was re-thinking your iconography/branding comment, Gwen Stefani came to mind, who has always bugged me too, but she has met with success in her clothing line and other crap, similar to Jay-Z. Anyways, I hate berets, so Perry's wardrobe gets a thumbs-down from me.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:14 pm

Good call on the Annie Lennox.

This is pretty mind-blowing on a number of levels: Katy covers "Electric Feel" by MGMT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH3nMxXcETs

If you know the original, I don't want to say anything about how she and her band handle this, 'cause it's total spoilage to do so.I will say that it's a very different take on a really interesting song.

Also: this is apparently a live-in-the-studio performance (BBC), and that anyone who doubts that Perry can sing like an angel needs to settle in with a big mug of STFU and listen.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to General Music