MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Slumdog Millionaire

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Slumdog Millionaire

Postby crevice beatle » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:10 am

Anyone go to Sundance and check this out over the weekend? What did you think?

I usually wouldn't take a second look at this type of story - I'm not too big on romance or rags to riches types of films... but, I must admit I want to see it because all the critics whose tastes I respect are giving it stellar reviews. My girlfriend is out of town and I had the fight the urge to go see it without her - she can never get me to go see any romantic movies and would be disappointed if I went to this without her.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Re: Slumdog Millionaire

Postby depinmad » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:45 am

i saw the free preview at sundance last week.
it's insanely entertaining.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:07 pm

I see a lot of films, but rarely do I see them in the theater. Usually, I see either eye candy (Iron Man, Dark Knight, LOTR) or very very well reviewed dramatic films. This one, Milk, and Benjamin Button are fighting for my movie dollars right now. I think I will see Milk first (also stellar across the board accolades), but I doubt Slumdog would be any kind of letdown. Let me know how it is if you do see it.

The last film I saw in the theater was Rachel Getting Married at Sundance and I was not disappointed. Best actress Oscar from what I've seen so far this year.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobbyOrr » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:58 pm

A fantastic film with huge heart, great performances, perfect pacing and a pretty realistic peak at India. I loved Trainspotting and am thrilled to see director Danny Boyle back on top of his game...SEE IT!
BobbyOrr

Postby depinmad » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:32 pm

waddaya mean, "back on top of his game"?

sunshine was awesome.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobbyOrr » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:48 pm

Maybe so, but for my taste, Trainspotting and Slumdog are in a different class from anything else he's done...anyway, the main point here is that Slumdog Millionaire is a special film that anyone who loves cinema should definitely see...
BobbyOrr

Postby Bretley » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:47 pm

It was awesome. Well worth the $$ to see it in the theater.
Bretley

Postby crevice beatle » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:30 pm

BobbyOrr wrote: the main point here is that Slumdog Millionaire is a special film that anyone who loves cinema should definitely see

Just went last night, and I couldn't agree with this statement more.

I was really struck by not only the pace and style but the colors in the film. Every shot seemed so rich and saturated with color. This movie reminded me of what I wish I experienced every time I gave something I am uncertain about a try. It wasn't quite like anything I've seen before and it was definitely worth shelling out the extra bucks to experience it on the big screen.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:37 pm

Great movie. And the dancing during the credits was the perfect ending after the slow emotional build of the story.

And finally in a world of stupid-long movies, someone made a 2 hour movie that feels like 90 minutes. Charlie Kaufman, take note.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies