MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Suggestions for west side bars and taverns

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Suggestions for west side bars and taverns

Postby jonk » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:28 am

I recently moved to the far west side of Madison. I lived near campus while I went to school here a few years back, but never much ventured beyond downtown.

I'm looking for suggestions on bars and taverns on the west side of Madison. Specifically, in either the Hilldale area or anywhere along Mineral Point, but other suggestions would be welcome as well.
jonk

Re: Suggestions for west side bars and taverns

Postby wallrock » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:30 am

The area is a little sparse in terms of neighborhood bars. I've been going to JT Whitney's for some time. It's on Whitney a couple of blocks south of Mineral Point. If you drive down Mineral Point toward the Glenway Golf Course I'd recommend the Village Bar. Over near the mall your options are a bit more limited. I'm personally not a big fan of the place, but I've got a couple of good friends that live near Mineral Point that really like O'Grady's. I've been for drinks before and it is friendly enough. Old Chicago is a chain pizza place, but they've got a surprisingly decent tap selection and the bar area is generally insulated from the screaming children in the restaurant area.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby EastSideTom » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:59 am

Otto's on Mineral Point Road. Very friendly and comfortable
http://ottosrestaurant.com/Location.aspx
EastSideTom
Forum Addict

Postby Villanelle » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:27 pm

Hilldale shopping center has a lot of places to go, but most of them are restaurants/bar combos. The great dane and Bar 608 are right across the street from eachother and there's also restaurant muramoto and pasqual's. I recommend Bar 608 (in sundance theatre) for their happy hour and their burgers and sweet potato fries are great.
Villanelle

Postby jjoyce » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:34 pm

Oakcrest on Old Middleton
Village Green in downtown Middleton
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sir Arthur Lange » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:03 pm

wallrock wrote: Old Chicago is a chain pizza place, but they've got a surprisingly decent tap selection and the bar area is generally insulated from the screaming children in the restaurant area.

Easily the best bar on a side of town with no great bars. Friendly staff who treats you right if you treat them right and a great selection of beers.
Sir Arthur Lange

Postby wallrock » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:21 pm

Sir Arthur Lange wrote:
wallrock wrote: Old Chicago is a chain pizza place, but they've got a surprisingly decent tap selection and the bar area is generally insulated from the screaming children in the restaurant area.

Easily the best bar on a side of town with no great bars. Friendly staff who treats you right if you treat them right and a great selection of beers.

I didn't think I'd like the place but it made me re-evaluate my bias against chains. The bartenders were great and the prices were very reasonable (two negatives I have with Boston's in Greenway Station). I always dismissed Old Chicago without ever going because it was a chain located near the mall, but really that wasn't a good reason and I'm happy that I was proven wrong.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MistaMista » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:02 pm

O'Grady's or Great Dane Hilldale.
MistaMista

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:05 pm

What about that joint on Speedway near the golf course?
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:11 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:What about that joint on Speedway near the golf course?

Yeah - the Village Bar. It's a pretty nice local watering hole. There appears to be two threads going, and it was mentioned in the other one: http://www.thedailypage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=44688
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails