MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

What is your best dining experience in Madison? Worst?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: What is your best dining experience in Madison? Worst?

Postby wallrock » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:07 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:I love the Village Green, but it is what it is. And I'd argue that it's far more representative of a Wisconsin tavern than the Old Fashioned could ever claim to be.

I definitely agree with that, and if you're looking for an old-school tavern it's certainly one of the first that comes to mind. But I've always judged the small-town tavern category against the one in my old hometown and of course none ever measure up.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:16 pm

FWIW, I don't think Old Fashioned claims to be representative of a Wisconsin tavern. They're an homage, and as much to the supper club as to the tavern. Picking nits? Maybe, but I see a difference.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby beenie » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:21 pm

wallrock wrote:
Kovalic wrote:The Holupki (spelled "golubtki" there, or something similar - the Russian and the Czech differ) are even better than my grandmother made...buttery and lucious.

I never had this prior to going to Arbat, but the stuffed cabbage is now one of my favorite meals. Add a Baltika or a Svyturys and you've got yourself a good time!

Yup - Arbat is one of my favorite restaurants, and the Golubtsi is one of my favorite things to order (it's tied with the Zarski). And my husband loves the Baltika.
beenie
Forum Addict

Postby towanda » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:37 pm

I went to the Village Green because people here recommended the sweet potato fries, not because I get all hot and bothered about veggie burgers (especially if veggie burgers are the only vegetarian entree on the menu). The sweet potato fries were seasoned poorly and the portion was skimpy for the price.
towanda
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews