MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Sega Arcade

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Sega Arcade

Postby MadMind » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:42 pm

Inspired by the release of the upcoming Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection...

At one time, Sega was king of the arcades (or at least a big player), and it'd be wonderful to see an ARCADE collection released by Sega.

This is my SEGA ARCADE manifesto!
MadMind 2009 TM

*Key
1) Red text is for Japan-only releases.

C'mon Sega, you are no longer invested in hardware. It's time to pony-up!
Atari (with the arcade section of Atari Anthology), Capcom (2 volumes), Konami, Midway (3 volumes), Namco, SNK, Taito, and Tecmo (Xbox exclusive) have all released arcade collections.

It's not that I don't encourage Sega Genesis compilations of Genesis-specific games, I've just grown tired of Genesis ports of Sega arcade games when the hardware is finally powerful enough to emulate just about anything that was done at the arcades.
Sega released a good number of arcade machines in the 'insert coin to continue, quarter-munching' period of arcades - and those kind of games deserve to be on compilations.

I mean c'mon Sega, you've already kicked it off with arcade emulations of Hang-On, Space Harrier, Outrun, and Afterburner in the Shenmue series - with Outrun also as an unlockable in the home console version of Outrun 2, and Space Harrier within Sega Ages Vol 20: Space Harrier II Complete Collection in Japan.

Then there's Altered Beast, Future Spy, Tac/Scan, Zaxxon, and Zektor as unlockables in the PS2 Sega Genesis Collection and Astro Blaster, Congo Bongo, Eliminator, Space Fury, and Super Zaxxon included within the PSP Sega Genesis Collection.

Going back even further, Sega included the original arcade ports in only a smattering of the 33 volumes of Sega Ages releases in Japan - Sega Arcade Gallery for Nintendo's Gameboy Advance includes "accurate conversions of OutRun, Super Hang-On, and Space Harrier, as well as a so-so rendition of After Burner" - and finally the Sega Saturn Sega Ages compilation contains arcade-perfect port's of Afterburner II, Outrun, and Space Harrier.

So SEGA!, why not just put all your arcade classics in one convenient place?

What games would I like to see in a SEGA Arcade collection? Well I'm glad you asked! Here are a just a few examples;

- BRAWLERS -
- The Golden Axe Series -
The arcade version of Golden Axe [1989] is available on Xbox Live and is the only arcade port from Sega on the service.
I'm tired of compilations with ports of the graphically inferior Genesis version of Golden Axe (Sega Smash Pack, Sega Genesis Collection). Give us the arcade version with the arcade-only sequel Golden Axe: The Revenge Of Death Adder [1992] - which was frustratingly never released on consoles. Instead the Sega Genesis got the increasingly-shoddy console-only sequels Golden Axe II & III.

Alien Storm [1990] was ported to the Genesis (the Genesis port also available for purchase on The Wii's Virtual Console) - but I want the arcade version!

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker [1990] in the arcades was a beat 'em up with an isometric viewpoint.
A version of Moonwalker was released for the Sega Genesis and Master System. "It retained most of the gameplay elements of the arcade game that inspired it, but the isometric viewpoint was dropped in favor of sideways scrolling. The end result had more in common with Namco's "Rolling Thunder" than with the arcade MoonWalker."
The arcade version was a fun game for it's day. I remember seeing it for the first time at the Minnesota State Fair and playing it with a friend.

D. D. Crew [1990] and Riot City [1991] round out Sega's 2-D 'Final Fight-esque' arcade brawlers. Neither were ported to home consoles, which I'm rather surprised since beat 'em ups were rather marketable in those days. I guess Sega wanted all focus on their console-only Streets Of Rage series.

SpikeOut [1997] was a polygonal brawler developed by Sega's AM2 team and was only released in Japan.[/color]
Slashout [2000] was a sequel to Spikeout with a fantasy theme.
Neither were ported to home consoles.

Sega's arcade brawler Spiderman The Video Game [1991] was never ported to home consoles. The Sega game The Amazing Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin (also known as Spider-Man Vs. the Kingpin or simply Spider-Man) released on Sega consoles in 1991 is an entirely different game.

Arabian Fight and Taito's Arabian Magic both came out in 1992. I'm just going to assume Taito's game came out second. That's probably the only two Arabian themed brawlers you'll ever see! Arabian Fight was never ported to home consoles.

Die Hard Arcade [1996] and it's sequel (although without the Die Hard license the 2nd time around), Dynamite Cop [1998].
Die Hard Arcade was ported to the Sega Saturn, and Dynamite Cop was given a solid arcade port release on the Sega Dreamcast.
Zombie Revenge [1999] is a spinoff of House Of The Dead and has the same style of gameplay as Die Hard Arcade & Dynamite Cop. Zombie Revenge was ported to Dreamcast.

- The Virtua Fighter Series -
Arcade-perfect ports of Virtua Fighter and Virtua Fighter 2 were never quite duplicated on home consoles.
Virtua Fighter [1993] was ported to the Saturn and the 32X.
The Saturn version being the best looking, but "suffers from flicker and graphical pop-ups." The 32X version while not as visually appealing as the Saturn or Arcade version, is known to be the best playing version ever released.
Virtua Fighter: Evolution for the PS2 did include a mode where you could play with the graphics of the original Virua Fighter, albeit with the game mechanics of Virtua Fighter 4.
Virtua Fighter 2 [1995] on the Sega Genesis is simply horrendous (also available on the Wii's Virtual Console, which Gamespot states; "This is an accurate version of Virtua Fighter 2 for the Sega Genesis, but why would anyone actually want to play Virtua Fighter 2 for the Sega Genesis?")
The Saturn port is the best version of VF2 released in the US, and is generally regarded as one of the best arcade-ports made for the Saturn.
Virtua Fighter 2 was given another release (in Japan) for the PS2 in the form of Sega Ages Vol 16: Virtua Fighter 2 (bottom of page). "The Saturn conversion was damn good, but couldn't quite replicate the graphics. You'd expect the PS2 version to be arcade perfect, given how much more horsepower it has over the arcade Model 2 board, but it still doesn't look right. The textures look really blurry and washed out and the visuals are really dark compared to the Saturn."

Beginning with Virtua Fighter 3 on the Dreamcast, then Virtua Fighter 4/Evolution on the PS2, and finally Virtua Fighter 5 on the latest-generation of consoles have all been more-or-less faithfully duplicated at home.

- CLASSICS -
Buck Rogers Planet Of Zoom [1982], Congo Bongo [1983], and Star Trek [1982] were the three Sega games I owned & played alot on my old Atari 5200 back in the day. I'd still love to have a compilation that includes arcade-perfect versions of these oldies-but-goodies. (The arcade version of Congo Bongo is included in the Sega Genesis Collection for the PSP)]
Both the arcade version of Congo Bongo along with a remake are included in Sega Ages Vol. 23: Sega Memorial Selection in Japan.

Up 'N Down [1983] was Sega's Bump 'N' Jump ripoff. Up'N Down was ported to the Atari 2600 and Colecovision, and an arcade-perfect port was included in Sega Memorial Selection Vol.1 for the Saturn released only in Japan.
Choplifter [1985] may have been released on several golden-age consoles and the Sega Master System, but it hasn't been seen for over 20 years.
In 1985, Sega licensed Pitfall! from Activision and turned it into Pitfall II - The Lost Caverns [1985], which turned out to be a cartoonish hybrid of both Pitfall! games.
While David Crane's Pitfall II is available on Activision Anthology and as an unlockable in Pitfall: The Lost Expedition (both on the PS2), Sega's arcade adaptation of Pitfall II was never released for home consoles in the US.

- FLYING -
Thunderblade [1987] was released on the Sega Master System and the Sega Genesis as "Super Thunder Blade" (and is present on the Sega Genesis Collection), but is not arcade-perfect.
Air Rescue [1991] was never ported to home consoles in the US.
Wing War [1994] was never ported to home consoles.

- The ENTIRE After Burner Legacy -
Afterburner [1987] was ported to the NES (via Tengen), Sega Master System, and is included in Sega Arcade Gallery for Nintendo's Gameboy Advance. The 32X version however stands above all others. "After Burner for the 32X is a nearly pixel-perfect conversion of a classic Sega arcade game."
Afterburner II [1987] was ported to the Genesis but is far from arcade-perfect. After Burner II was included within Sega Ages for the Saturn and was "the first version to be nearly arcade-perfect". After Burner II is also available to play in Shenmue II.
G-LOC Air Battle [1990] was ported over to the Genesis but is far from arcade-perfect.
Strike Fighter [1991] is considered to be more or less a follow-up to G-LOC. It was released in arcades only in Japan and later ported to the Sega CD as After Burner 3 and is vastly inferior to the arcade version.
Sky Target [1995] is a follow up to After Burner and G-LOC.
Sky Target was ported only to the Sega Saturn.
R-360 [1991] was a unique cabinet is used to run enhanced versions of G-LOC or Strike Fighter.
Sega Strike Fighter [2000] was never ported to home consoles.

- Galaxy Force Series -
Galaxy Force [1988] in the Brooklyn Park, MN Circus (RIP) was the first time I ever saw a cabinet like this:
Galaxy Force was ported to the Master System and Galaxy Force II [1988] to the Genesis. Needless to say both were far from arcade-perfect.
Galaxy Force II was ported to the Sega Saturn and an arcade-perfect emulation of Galaxy Force II is available on Sega Ages Vol 30: Galaxy Force II: Special Extended Edition for the PS2 - both were Japan only releases.

- Space Harrier Series -
I got alot of play out of Space Harrier II for the Sega Genesis, so naturally, I'd like to complete the series.
Space Harrier [1985] was ported to the Sega Master System, 32X, and the Sega Saturn.
"(Space Harrier 32X) is nearly arcade-perfect and is itself virtually identical to the version that appeared on the Sega Ages compilation for the Saturn."
Space Harrier is also available for play in Shenmue.

Sega never ported it's 21st century arcade Space Harrier spin-off Planet Harriers [2001] to consoles. Planet Harriers
was rumored at one time to be released for the Dreamcast, but was axed.

- GUN GAMES (SHOOTERS) -
Line Of Fire [1989] was derivative of Taito's Operation Wolf. A Sega Master System game with the same name and storyline was released, but with entirely different gameplay.
Laser Ghost [1989] was a Ghostbusters-esque gun game. It was ported to the Sega Master System. 'Nuff said.
Alien 3: The Gun [1993] was an enjoyable 'Aliens' themed gun game. I remember playing through it with a friend at Pop's Arcade (RIP) in downtown Minneapolis. It was never ported to home consoles.
Behind Enemy Lines [1998] was a gun game where you gun down terrorists. It was never ported to home consoles.
In The Ocean Hunter [1998] one must fire upon evil sealife to survive. This game was never ported to home consoles.
Put out fires in Brave Firefighters [1999]. "Brave Firefighters is a part of the Sega's 'Real Life Career Series'. Others are Emergency Call Ambulance, 18 Wheeler - American Pro Trucker, Jambo! Safari, Airline Pilots and Crazy Taxi."
This game was never ported to home consoles.
Confidential Mission [2000] is a spy-themed gun game. It was ported to the Sega Dreamcast never to be seen again.

- Virtua Cop Series -
Virtua Cop [1994] was ported to the Sega Saturn.
Virtua Cop 2 [1995] was ported to the Sega Saturn and is generally regarded as one of the best arcade-ports made for the Saturn.
VC2 also appeared in Sega Smash Pack for the Sega Dreamcast. "Virtua Cop 2 is taken from the early 2000 Japanese Dreamcast release, which is essentially a shoddy port of the PC version of the game. The game plays reasonably well, but it only looks marginally better than the Saturn version and not nearly as good as the arcade release of the game."
I own the Dreamcast version and think that it's still good fun, I only wish I had a Dreamcast gun. Virtua Cop I & II at a budget price for the Wii anyone?
Virtua Cop 3 [2003] was never ported to home consoles!

The Sega arcade shooting games Jurassic Park [1994] and it's sequel The Lost World: Jurassic Park [1997] were never ported to home consoles.
The third arcade game in the Jurassic Park shoot 'em up series was released by Konami.

Rail Chase [1991] and the sequel Rail Chase 2 [1996] were never ported to home consoles. "The Rail Chase series is an obvious homage to the legendary minecart section of the movie 'Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom'."

The Maze Of The Kings [2002] was a shooting game of sorts, where you played the role of an archaeological treasure hunter armed with a magic cane. This game was never ported to home consoles.

Gunblade NY [1996] and it's sequel L.A. Machineguns: Rage Of The Machines [1999] were never ported to home consoles.

Star Wars Arcade [1993] was ported to the 32X and was the best-selling 32x cartridge. "The home version lacks the texture mapping found in it's arcade parent, but features most of its impressive polygonal imagery, with no slowdown or draw-in."
The sequel Star Wars Trilogy Arcade [1998] was never released on home consoles.

- House Of The Dead Series -
House Of The Dead [1997] was ported to the Sega Saturn, never to be seen again. Why it wasn't included in House Of The Dead II & III Return for the Wii we'll never know.

- RACERS -
Aside from THQ's 'Chase H.Q.', Sega has developed all of my past favorite arcade racers. From Outrun to Enduro Racer to Power Drift to GP Rider.

I LOVED Power Drift [1988]! Featuring roller coaster-esque tracks, it was my favorite arcade racer since Out-Run. This game was shamefully never released on home consoles in the US!
It was however included in Sega Ages: Power Drift for the Saturn and Yu Suzuki's Gameworks Vol.1 for the Sega Dreamcast - both in Japan only.
"Power Drift on the Saturn is a very good conversion indeed but it's by no means perfect. The scaling seems to be a bit on the blocky side compared to the Dreamcast's conversion of Power Drift which IS arcade perfect."
"It (Power Drift on the Dreamcast) was the closest you could get to the arcade version on home consoles."

Harley Davidson & L.A. Riders [1998] was a fun motorcycle racer. A large part of it's appeal was in the sit-down harley cabinet. It was never ported to home consoles.

18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker [2000] was ported to Dreamcast, Playstation 2, and the Gamecube (the PS2 version reportedly being the best of the bunch).
It's sequel, King Of Route 66 [2002] was ported only to the Playstation 2.

A more realistic Yu Suzuki arcade racer, Ferrari F355 Challenge [1999], was ported to the Dreamcast and the PS2. "Developed by AM2, Ferrari F355 Challenge is designer Yu Suzuki's video game tribute to the Italian prancing horse."
"We (Gamespot) can say with full authority that the game (F355 Challenge for the Dreamcast) not only lives up to its arcade predecessor, but it is easily the best driving game on Sega's (Dreamcast) console."

Wave Runner [1996] and Wave Runner GP [2001] were Sega's two Jet-Ski arcade games. Neither game were ported to home consoles. I don't know how well these would translate to home play. I'm basically just including them because I'm a fan of Nintendo's Wave Race series.

- The Outrun Series -
Outrun.org
Out Run [1986] was my favorite arcade racer of the time. The arcade version of Out Run is available for play in Shenmue, as an unlockable in the home console version of Outrun 2, and was released in Sega Ages for the Saturn.
Turbo Out Run [1989]. An inferior port was released only for the Sega Genesis.
Outrunners [1993]. Once again, an inferior port was released only for the Sega Genesis, which unlike the arcade, played with a permanent split screen.

- The Hang-On Series -
Hang-On [1985]. The first Hang-On was released for the Sega Master System and was available for play in Shenmue. It was also included in the Japan-only Sega Dreamcast release Yu Suzuki's Gameworks Vol.1.
Super Hang-On [1992] was ported to the Sega Genesis and was also included in Sega Arcade Gallery for Nintendo's Gameboy Advance.

Enduro Racer [1986]. I thought Enduro Racer was the shit back in the day. I still remember how violently some guys would jerk those handlebars back. It made me want to jump things with my bike. An unfaithful port with an isometric view was released for the Sega Master System and (the Master System port) is available on the Nintendo Wii's Virtual Console.
GP Rider [1990] was a white-knuckle motorcycle racing game that I really enjoyed. The arcade machine featured a sit-down motorcycle cabinet which you controlled by tilting side-to-side . It was the closest I ever came to feeling like I was really racing motorcycles (in arcades). It was ported to the Sega Master System and Game Gear - technically inferior home-console hardware. "The home console ports played permanently in a split screen, regardless of if one or two players are playing."
Cool Riders [1993]. "The one and only game produced on the Sega H1 System." This game was never released on home consoles.
Manx TT [1995] was ported to the Sega Saturn. Gamespot states; "This is about as close to a perfect arcade translation as Sega's ever done. Both tracks from the arcade are recreated flawlessly, save the obvious lower resolution and a little pop-up here and there. Manx TT is one of the best conversions the Saturn has seen and is also truly fun to play."
Motor Raid [1997]. "A motorcycle racing and combat game where racers drive and fight on unique tracks located on different planets." Motor Raid was never released on home consoles.

- SIDE SCROLLERS -
- Shinobi Series -
Shinobi Expanded Universe
Shinobi [1987]. While the Sega Master System version was a solid port, it's no arcade copy. I'm surprised the original Shinobi wasn't made available as an unlockable in 2002's Shinobi for the Playstation 2. I mean c'mon Sega, Tecmo included the original Ninja Gaiden arcade as an unlockable in Ninja Gaiden Black!
Shadow Dancer [1989] was ported to the Sega Genesis and was very playable, but it doesn't match the graphics of the arcade. Other than that, it was almost an entirely different game.
"The Sega Genesis port of this game has a completely different level layout, storyline, gameplay mechanics changes, and the bombs were turned into hostages."

ESwat Cyber Police [1989] is a Robocop-esque side scroller that was ported to the Sega Master System and Sega Genesis. Neither match the graphics of the arcade version, and like Shadow Dancer ESWAT for the Genesis was a very different game.

- SPORTS -
Wrestle War [1989]. Wrestle War was ported to the Sega Genesis (in Japan) and (the Genesis port) was included in Sega Smash Pack for the Sega Dreamcast.

Heavyweight Champ [1987] and Title Fight [1991] were Sega's two arcade boxing games. Neither game were ported to home consoles. The 1990 Sega Master System title James Buster Douglas Knockout Boxing, which was released in Europe under the Heavyweight Champ title, is an entirely different game.

Decathlete [1995] was a polygon based 'Track & Field'. It was ported to the Sega Saturn.

Sega Ski Super G [1996] and Ski Champ [1998] were Sega's two arcade skiing games, similar to Namco's 'Alpine
Racer' series. Neither games were ported to home consoles. Again, I'm not sure how well these two games would translate to home play, but I'm a fan of skiing (racing) games and all that seem's to be released these days are trick-based snowboarding games.

- TOP DOWN ACTION -
I used to enjoy trying my hand at Alien Syndrome [1986] in the arcade, though I felt it was frustratingly difficult. It was ported to the Sega Master System, Game Gear, and the NES - but surprisingly an arcade-perfect has never been made available on home consoles.
Gain Ground [1988] was ported to the Sega Master System and the Sega Genesis, and the Genesis version has made the rounds on the Sega Genesis Collection.
"Gain Ground was also resurrected in 2004 as part of the Sega Ages series for the Japanese Playstation 2. Like the rest of the games in this budget line, the gameplay is the same, but it uses all new polygonal graphics."
Crack Down [1989] was an arcade game I really enjoyed. It was ported to the Sega Genesis but was 'vastly inferior'. "It was a poor arcade translation and suffered from severe slowdown." The Genesis port was made available for the Nintendo Wii's Virtual Console in Japan.
Desert Breaker [1992] was a MERC's ripoff and was never ported to home consoles.

More recent Sega arcade games which run off the Sega Lindbergh Hardware such as House Of The Dead 4 and After Burner Climax would require their own separate releases.
House Of The Dead 4 [2006] was the first game to be released on Sega's most current arcade hardware, the Lindbergh system. It was once reported to be released on the Xbox 360, but was scrapped.
After Burner Climax [2006] is the latest in the series and shamefully has not been ported to any home consoles!

I didn't even realize that companies were still producing arcade games. I'd love to see After Burner Climax [2006], Rambo [2008], Sega Rally 3 [2008], Hummer and Harley-Davidson King Of The Road at the Easttowne Tilt!

Sources:
- Arcade Sites -
Arcade History
Killer List Of Videogames
System 16
- Sega Sites -
The 32X Memorial
Planet Dreamcast
Sega-16
Sega Arcade
Sega Gaga
- General/Other -
Hardcore Gaming 101
Sydlexia (Moonwalker Arcade Overview)
Wikipedia

WHEW! Nerdgasm! I'm out. Peace.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sega Arcade

Postby MadMind » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:23 pm

What are some of YOUR favorite Sega Arcade Games???
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:34 pm

Crazy Taxi.

Crazy Taxi forever.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:38 pm

Shipley wrote:Crazy Taxi.

Crazy Taxi forever.

It'd be nice to have all 3 Crazy Taxi's in one compilation.
Although only the first in the series was a true arcade game.
Crazy Taxi 2 was a Dreamcast-only sequel, and Crazy Taxi 3 was released in arcades after the Xbox version was released.
I've never played 2 or 3, though I hear they don't stray far from the original. And let's be honest, Crazy Taxi is a pretty shallow game.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games