MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 40.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

How do they stay in business?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: How do they stay in business?

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:59 am

Werd that crevice, I can see what you're saying. I don't think its going to be around much longer either way...better use those gift certificates!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaronetc » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:13 pm

O.J. wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Hmm. I have a Restaurant.com gift certificate for Babs'. Mayhaps I will go there this weekend.

My sister gave me one for Christmas, but she just got an e-mail stating that they are no longer a part of that promotion.

Must have happened just now, I used one there on Wednesday.
aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby HBK » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:49 pm

I was that the Clovis Mann Show at Bab's with narcoleptish - I ordered two Hurricanes (Some sort of tasty rum drink). The did arrive in a timely manner and were reasonably priced - my only complaint was that narcoleptish kept stealing my drink. This may provide evidence of the Hurricanes quality. I know narcoleptish has a very sophisticated pallet.

I did go to Bab's for dinner some months ago. It was OK, not great, not bad - I might give it another try - particularly if Clovis Mann is playing again.
HBK
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:18 am

HBK wrote:... sophisticated pallet.
Sounds like the name of an upscale shipping company.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:56 pm

HBK wrote:I particularly if Clovis Mann is playing again.

where as you would have to be there, no?
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:40 pm

Does anyone know why Mad Dogs closed? I really liked that place. The staff was proficient and friendly. The food was good.

I also liked Dog Eat Dog and never figured out why they closed either.

Is it because a new chicago dog place opened just around the corner?

Is this a one dog town?
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby workboy7 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:17 pm

Dog Eat Dog closed because of a combination of partnership difficulties and poor management. Mad Dogs closed because......
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby crevice beatle » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:32 pm

Now that we are extending the conversation into places that have already gone out of business, I am curious if anyone was surprised when Real Chili went out business? I certainly was not.
I always felt they had a prime location as far as the city itself is concerned...but on the other hand, who wants a bowl of chili in the summertime? Also, I really didn't think their chili came even close to anything I've ever made on my own.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby workboy7 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:37 pm

Sorry, hit the wrong button.....this is not a one dog town in my opinion, and there are only three places even close to worthy of a Chicago hot dog fan: Home Depot east, Home Depot west, and Poppa Coronofoulos (which I believe to be sub-par). There are other places that sell hot dogs, but none that I know of register to a true fan. The Dawg House may sell hotdogs, but it's a bit insulting to true fans. I'm not looking to create a dispute, but the fact is there are countless legions of fanatics for this odd culinary delight, and if you are offering what they want, you'd better offer it correctly. Notice how many locations are quick to use terms like "chicago" "vienna","maxwell street" or even "style" or "redhot" without knowing what their product is supposed to be. It's one thing to make a product your customers like, another to try to emulate a successful practice, but please, please, please restaurants....advertise what you sell and sell what you advertise! If I have a good meal at a location, dogs or not, I want the same thing when I return, and in the majority of Madison restaurants, the lack of consistency.......
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby workboy7 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:46 pm

crevice-
I think the biggest problem in Madison restaurants is not the concepts or design- we have all seen our strong favorites fall here and there- but in the day to day management that without all will fail. I'm sure that the chili pad had a business plan that wasn't well executed by Madison employees. In my daily work with local restaurants I see far too much of that.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby Bunny Chow » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:50 pm

workboy7 wrote:Sorry, hit the wrong button.....this is not a one dog town in my opinion, and there are only three places even close to worthy of a Chicago hot dog fan: Home Depot east, Home Depot west,

YES! I make excuses to go to Home De-pot just so I can score a dog. Come to think of it, I need some Goo-be-gone and a ten penny nail.....

One time I was standing in the checkout and some visitors from Australia were behind me....I'm not even sure why they were there...but I literally forced them, using some of my female charm, into buying some hotdogs from the stand so they wouldn't miss out on that cultural experience. I hope they appreciated it. Fuck em if they didn't.

I liked MadDogs Italian Beef. Hated their fries.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:47 pm

eriedasch wrote:
HBK wrote:I particularly if Clovis Mann is playing again.

where as you would have to be there, no?

He's not in the band. Those guys all know how to spell.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:10 pm

Bunny Chow wrote:
workboy7 wrote:Sorry, hit the wrong button.....this is not a one dog town in my opinion, and there are only three places even close to worthy of a Chicago hot dog fan: Home Depot east, Home Depot west,

YES! I make excuses to go to Home De-pot just so I can score a dog. Come to think of it, I need some Goo-be-gone and a ten penny nail.....

One time I was standing in the checkout and some visitors from Australia were behind me....I'm not even sure why they were there...but I literally forced them, using some of my female charm, into buying some hotdogs from the stand so they wouldn't miss out on that cultural experience. I hope they appreciated it. Fuck em if they didn't.

I liked MadDogs Italian Beef. Hated their fries.

My parents are in the process of renovating a bathroom and apparently spent hours looking at fixtures last weekend. When I asked my father how it went he replied: "Terrible - four goddamn hours looking at toilets. But on the plus side I got two hot dogs while your mother was checking out."

I also liked MadDogs hotdogs and also disliked their fries. I really did like Dog Eat Dog back when I was in college - I used to frequently go to the Regent location. I have to admit I felt a bit worried for MadDogs because I seemed to be the only person every time I went, but I always chalked it up to off-peaks hours. I haven't tried the new place yet, but it does seem that Madison has a hard time keeping hot dog places.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:18 pm

Mad Dog's fries were baked... maybe that's why people didn't like them. Knowing they were baked, I was ok with them.

I prefer CostCo hot dogs over Home Depot...
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:18 pm

When I first moved to Madison some years back, I met the brother of one of my neighbors who had worked for years at Oscar Meyer. I remember he told me: "You don't even want to KNOW what goes into those hot dogs." And then he proceeded to tell me.

I've never touched a hot dog again, nor will I ever.
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews