MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 17.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Twitter much?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Re: Twitter much?

Postby christopher_robin » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:11 pm

Shipley wrote:twitter can do it by text message, and disperse messages by text, which is why its more novel than running unix in the 90s.

Buh? Moblogging (posting to a blog via mobile device) also predates Twitter.

I did focus on finger, but you'll notice I also included blogging in my brief history of how you guys are getting snookered by the PR flaks if you think there's anything new here besides a shiny wrapper.

No disagreement that it's popular, but popular does not equal novel.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:23 pm

Look you can give me the finger all you want, CR, this song sounds the same as the one in the guitar hero thread: arguing for the sake of arguing.

As I said, I don't care how or why Twitter is popular. Also don't care if moblogging or blogging in general came first, (though I did have a text america account before they went bust in 2003(?), so twitter ain't first.
I acknowledge that. Doesn't change the fact that its more popular and more useful than the finger of the past.

If you want to quibble over the definition of novel, than I have a Finger to point out to you too.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:25 pm

finger!
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:42 pm

Oh boy. Your finger jokes were stale before you were born (of course you don't know this).

You're too touchy, ship. I gently corrected TBP's incorrect but understandable claim that Twitter is a new thing (they really have done a great job with marketing and PR), then you interjected with some bullshit, and now you throw a hissy when I point out that your claim is clearly false.

Ease up! Next time try "oh yeah, I guess I forgot about moblogging" or "I was unaware of that" or something.

The interesting part of the Twitter story is, of course, the marketing wrapper and the mindshare.

BTW, the finger syntax is like, way fucking easier than you guys seem to think it is:

finger -b -p shipley

You've got the command line open anyway, so this isn't exactly hard to do.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:50 pm

lolfinger
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:34 pm

Now you've got it!

Anyway, to keep things on track, I think both TBP and the Shipster are onto something, whatever jerks like me think, namely: Twitter is being perceived as something new, and something unique.

I think an obvious analog is hulu.com.

So granting that a site has won a competitive area, no matter what the historical adaptations involved might be (personally, I'm fascinated by the historical roots of modern web apps), is useful in that the next question is "how did they do that--turn something we all had anyway into something so many want to be a part of?"

In Twitter's case, I think the answer is: by applying their tech to the perfect environment, which happened to be SXSW.

So to jjoyce's question, IMO the answer is "provide realtime updates in a useful way." This could be "this show at the High Noon is off the hook!" Or "Breaking News: Johnny Depp is in town; I just spotted him at The Old Fashioned."
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:29 pm

Yay!! I'm onto something! I'm a gullible moron! I've been snookered! I buy into PR flaks' BS!

You're right, c_r. You're SO right. I'm the very depths of wrong.

/sarcasm (hey, is that one of those cool lines of code that I should really be using instead of stupid Twitter?)

Not every bullshit conversation needs to be gospel-accurate. The phrase "gently corrected" is half-right. You didn't come into this conversation to be gentle. You came in to correct. The word for that is pedantic.

I might be pedantic sometimes, but I don't usually use 230+ words to do it. It's just Twitter, for fuck's sake. Jammybastard woulda come in here and said some topical variation of "adblock," and it would have been over. You issue a dissertation on the multitudinous variations of my wrongness.

For the record, I joined Twitter because more people I knew were using it than Pownce, and the writing was on the wall that Pownce was going under (it did, mere months after I quit it). "Marketing and PR" had nothing to do with my choice; "friends" did. I could give two shits about SXSW.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:21 pm

My first twitter friend was a 14 year old in southern california who read my site and sends me links of him playing nintendo songs on piano. Music is easy for him.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:39 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I could give two shits about SXSW.

The correct phrase is "I couldn't give two shits....."

It's along the same lines as "I could care less...." when the correct phrase is "I couldn't care less...."

It would seem someone like yourself would have that sort of cliche wired. Guess not.

Lots of douchebags make the same mistake, don't be too hard on yourself.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:35 am

I could give two shits about SXSW.
But I don't.

See it still works.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:58 am

Shipley wrote:My first twitter friend was a 14 year old in southern california who read my site and sends me links of him playing nintendo songs on piano. Music is easy for him.

This doesn't sound legal.

I kid. I kid.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:36 pm

Twitter's veracity chewed up by Britney's four-foot vagina

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/06 ... r_attacks/

Micro-blogging site Twitter had to temporarily suspend accounts belonging to Barack Obama, Britney Spears and other celebrities after they were hijacked by miscreants and used to spread scandalous and false information that appeared to come from their owners.

The attack on 33 celebrity accounts caused Fox News to apparently admit that news commentator Bill O'Reilly was gay and prompted a confession from pop celeb Spears that her vagina was four feet wide "with razor sharp teeth." Twitter said in a blog post that the compromises were the result of an individual who "hacked into some of the tools our support team uses to help people do things like edit the email address associated with their Twitter account when they can't remember or get stuck."

The accounts were temporarily suspended until their rightful owners could regain control of them.

A separate high-profile phishing campaign caused thousands of the site's users to receive phony messages designed to trick them into visiting sites that steal their login credentials. Miscreants used the compromised identities to spam additional Twitter users who followed the account holder...the hijacked account of President-elect Barack Obama...directed followers to visit a website that attempted to steal personal information.

File under: Headline Madness
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:08 pm

Now we can all agree twitter is awesome.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:19 pm

Shipley wrote:Now we can all agree twitter is awesome.

Plus my Clitter comment makes a lot more sense now.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SawyerSpeaks » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:34 pm

Watch as MBAs dive into Twitter with all the grace of the 3 Stooges:

http://sawyerspeaks.wordpress.com/2009/06/07/executive-suite-where-the-elite-tweets-meet/
SawyerSpeaks

Previous

Return to Technology & Video Games