MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, July 11, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Arcade At Home

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Arcade At Home

Postby MadMind » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:44 am

I was just curious if anyone here owns (or has owned in the past) any arcade/pinball machines and has them placed within your own home? If so, what machines?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Arcade At Home

Postby MadMind » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:14 am

No one? OK how about this then...
If you were allotted 10 machines to start your arcade, what machines would they be?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:16 am

I'd just build a cabinet and install a switch for multiple boards.

Ms Pac Man
Galaga
Street Fighter Alpha 3
TMNT / Turtles in Time
X-Men
Donkey Kong
Rampage
Soul Calibur II
Mortal Kombat II

Of course doing that wouldn't let me do racing games or gun games.
Mario Kart
F-Zero GX
Sega Rally
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:55 pm

I knew I should've inserted an addendum about MAME/Ultracade cabinets to that question.
Don't get me wrong, I'd do the same thing, but it invalidates the query somewhat.

How about this, what 10 arcade machines would you start your own personal arcade with if MAME/Ultracade cabinets did not exist?
Or, assuming your first purchase would be a MAME/Ultracade cabinet, what unique 10 arcade machines would you acquire (specialized cabinets/controllers that can't be faithfully replicated on a MAME etc.)???
Last edited by MadMind on Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:08 pm

all capcom fighters have 2 joysticks and 6 buttons. I could get a legit machine and just install different boards. My friend with the Soul Calibur II machine went and got Soul Calibur and Soul Blade arcade boards since they worked with the same button layout.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:52 am

I own quite a few retro collections on my PS2 and was wondering, are there any well-reviewed third-party arcade sticks available for the PS2? Y'know, sort of like an NES-Advantage equivalent for the PS2?

EDIT: Please no suggestions for X-Arcade
I'm familiar with their products and know it's the best reviewed and I'm sure it's great, I'm just not willing to spend $100-$200 on a joystick at this time.
Last edited by MadMind on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:09 am

Anything made by Hori.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:09 pm

MadMind wrote:How about this, what 10 arcade machines would you start your own personal arcade with if MAME/Ultracade cabinets did not exist?

Elevator Action
MACH 3
Ikari Warriors
Mr. Do
Tron
Bump n Jump
Smash TV
Centipede
Galaga
Super Off Road
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:12 pm

Shipley wrote:Anything made by Hori.

Any suggestions for something $50 and under?

Speaking of price, is this X-Arcade Cabinet really worth $1,099.95?
It does include the Dual Tankstick which is $200 value. But that leaves you paying around $800 for the cabinet alone, when you could build your own for a lot less.
What would you do if you had both the money & the time to choose between the two options?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:26 am

I don't know, the "build your own" only works if you know how to build and have tools and stuff. I'd sooner do what I said above, buy a genuine Capcom fighter cabinet and then go find the arcade boards for it.

As for a suggestion of a stick for under $50, I don't have one since no one makes PS2 sticks anymore and the ones out there are now collectible and cost more of the secondary market. the Tekken stick goes for over $100. keep an eye on craigslist and in places like Pre-played, since they're more likely to be selling something without realizing it could be worth more.

Since its all digital inputs anyway, you could get any PS1 stick too. Nuby and Ascii are also good brands.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:44 pm

MadMind wrote:I own quite a few retro collections on my PS2 and was wondering, are there any well-reviewed third-party arcade sticks available for the PS2? Y'know, sort of like an NES-Advantage equivalent for the PS2?

EDIT: Please no suggestions for X-Arcade
I'm familiar with their products and know it's the best reviewed and I'm sure it's great, I'm just not willing to spend $100-$200 on a joystick at this time.

I actually came back here to endorse X-Arcade. I know you don't want to bust bucks on a premium product, but for anyone else considering this, I'm going to reprint something a friend of mine wrote this morning...

These people have the most incredible warrantee ever. I replaced every moving part in the panel with stuff they did not make. Totally changed the configuration and pulled out 20% of the wiring. Then, when I left it in a freezing car and the circuit board went bad, they mailed me a new board for free in three days. I told them exactly what I had done to it, but none of that mucking around voided the lifetime warrantee. In fact, they have guides on their website for do-it-yourself repair. They encourage you to tinker in the guts of the machine, then they turn around and warrantee it for life anyway. That's insanity.

So yes, you could probably buy a stick for $60 or less. But considering you might not ever have to buy another stick again and just buy cheap adapters to work with each console and they'd replace anything if it broke you'd probably spend far less money in the long run. $129 is a steal for something of this quality, and 199 for a double set up equally so.

One problem: Microsoft has denied them license for Xbox 360, so thats the only console they can't support. That might change, but in the mean time I'm going to invest in a HORI stick, either Soul Calibur IV or Street Fighter IV branded.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:18 am

Well, I suppose since I plan on getting a dedicated MAME arcade cabinet someday, that it would be far from a frivolous purchase.

I didn't know that about Microsoft! That sucks! Why would they do that? I mean it's Xbox Live ARCADE people. Those old games deserve to be played with a quality controller. Maybe Microsoft has something up their sleeve, like planning on releasing their own arcade stick?

Anyways, 10-12lbs. keeps the X-Arcade from being much of a "lap controller". Comparatively, going back to the NES Advantage (which remains as the only arcade style joystick I've ever owned) barely weighs a pound. I know I know - I'm comparing apples & oranges.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:55 am

Like I said, HORI and MadCatz do make sticks. The Hori stick is maybe 4 pounds, its a lap controller.

X Arcade should be place on a table or mounted. Microsoft might be denying the license due to it be multiplatform, and it doesn't have a guide button on the dash of the stick.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games