MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 40.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Sundance Showing Mainstream Movies

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Re: Sundance Showing Mainstream Movies

Postby depinmad » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:15 pm

for my money the saddest thing that's happened movie theater wise in recent times has been star cinema being bought out by kerasotes and turning into an overpriced understaffed crap box.

BRING BACK THE KIDDIE SNACK TRAY THAT BOTH MARCUS AND STAR DEEMED FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION.

MOTHERFUCKERS.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bigredhunk » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:18 pm

I knew Star changed!! (but wasn't positive until reading your post) When I saw Batman on the IMAX, they charged a ridiculous amount, over $13. I bet my last dollar that when I saw others there ("300," for one) the price was lower.

Did they raise all the other prices too (general showtimes)? I don't go there much anymore.
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Postby Bigredhunk » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:22 pm

I didn't read all the showtimes. It's even worse than I thought!!

-Eastgate will have "Last Chance Harvey." Sundance had it on their schedule, now it's not.
-MPU will have "Frost/Nixon." Sundance, not so much.
-MPU has had "Doubt," and it will still be showing this week. Sundance-NEIN!

Vomit.
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:28 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Perhaps you should direct these comments to the fine folks at Sundance. If Redford's going to put his name and rep on the line as a supporter of indie cinema, then maybe he needs to start advocating for his theaters to be in line for limited-city releases. Then you could have seen The Wrestler or Slumdog Millionaire weeks ago.

The Wrestler is still in limited-city release. More cities next week are coming too. It only started playing in NYC a month ago. Would they have had to pay a fortune to get it earlier?

Slumdog has been playing here for quite some time.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:33 pm

Bigredhunk wrote:I didn't read all the showtimes. It's even worse than I thought!!

-Eastgate will have "Last Chance Harvey." Sundance had it on their schedule, now it's not.

Vomit.

Are you looking at the right page? Unless their website is totally wrong, you've got some bad facts.

"Last Chance Harvey" will open at Sundance this week. "Doubt" is currently showing at Sundance. "Defiance" opens this week as well.

TAsunder wrote:The Wrestler is still in limited-city release.

I was not aware. Consider me corrected.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:43 pm

i saw the wrestler and milk in new york city, wish i had waited til i got back here.

SUCK IT BAM ROSE

SUCK IT AMC EMPIRE.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:55 pm

Bigredhunk wrote:-MPU will have "Frost/Nixon." Sundance, not so much.

Ron Howard and Brian Glazer are independent filmmakers now?
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bigredhunk » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:07 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Bigredhunk wrote:I didn't read all the showtimes. It's even worse than I thought!!

Vomit.

Are you looking at the right page? Unless their website is totally wrong, you've got some bad facts.

"Last Chance Harvey" will open at Sundance this week. "Doubt" is currently showing at Sundance. "Defiance" opens this week as well.

TAsunder wrote:The Wrestler is still in limited-city release.

I was not aware. Consider me corrected.

My mistake with "Harvey" and "Doubt." For both I was looking at imdb and yahoo coming showtimes for Friday. They didn't have "Harvey" listed as a Sudance release, nor did they have "Doubt" (which either ends its run on Thursday or the other sites are wrong, as they are with "Harvey"). Not sure how I missed it on the Sundance site.

I included "Defiance" in my original post. Others are showing it too. Ditto for "Harvey" this Friday and "Doubt" right now. That's my gripe....Sundance is bringing very little to the community that can't be seen elsewhere.

Hell, Des Moines is a shithole, and they match Madison almost movie-for-movie.

As far as contacting Sundance....I know it doesn't do much good to bitch on a message board. I also know it doesn't do any good to bitch to Sundance management though.

When I heard that Sundance was building in Mad City, I was jazzed. Basically they haven't brought anything (better theater, sure...but not better movies) to the area that wasn't here before. I guess I should've known it's all about demographics and city size. Madison will never get the good indie releases early.
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Postby Bigredhunk » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:10 pm

Bland wrote:

"Frost/Nixon" is a helluva' lot more of an indie release than were "Sex & The City" & "Indiana Jones" (& countless others).
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Postby Bigredhunk » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:36 pm

I forgot that "Che" was on their schedule of "coming soon to Madison" a few weeks back. It was to be released Friday. Now there's no info on it at all. That's another disappointment.

I realize their schedule is subject to change. Too bad it always changes for the worse.
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Postby DedeTate » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:23 am

I was just at Sundance tonight to see The Wrestler - they're still heavily promoting Che and I've Loved You So Long, so I assume those are starting very soon.
DedeTate
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:35 am

Bland wrote:

Now that's funny.

Sundance is a yuppie mall multiplex that serves overpriced food, lattes and booze. We are talking about a movie theater that sells signature fleeces and has its own giftshop and restaurant with fake trees. Is it bringing anything new to the table as far as independent cinema goes? I don't think so, but it is what it is, a very nice movie theater that exists for enjoying well reviewed mainstream and somewhat indie films. Just saw Slumdog there on Sunday and enjoyed the show, but I'm not going to claim it to be what it isn't, a home for truly independent films.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:59 am

Here's one unintentional benefit of mainstream movies at Sundance- the price jack on movies playing there and at every other theater in town means less people in the Sundance Theater version.

I would go back an pay double to see Iron Man without the douchebag behind me laughing hysterically at every retarded joke. Yes, it was funny how much trouble he had flying when he first put on the suit, but this lady over-laughed to the point where I wanted to punch her fucking teeth in.

Just the other day at the movies, I would have gone to prison for cracking two fourteen year old girls heads together if not for some empty seats a few rows back. The offense: laughing at the preview for Mall Cop.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby crevice beatle » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:12 pm

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:I would go back an pay double to see Iron Man without the douchebag behind me laughing hysterically at every retarded joke. Yes, it was funny how much trouble he had flying when he first put on the suit, but this lady over-laughed to the point where I wanted to punch her fucking teeth in.

Just the other day at the movies, I would have gone to prison for cracking two fourteen year old girls heads together if not for some empty seats a few rows back. The offense: laughing at the preview for Mall Cop.

You know, there are plenty of decaffeinated brands out there on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:59 pm

You must not have read the part where I mentioned THEY WERE LAUGHING AT A PREVIEW FOR MALL COP.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Movies