MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Best Friday Night Fish Frys

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Best Friday Night Fish Frys

Postby tii » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:19 pm

So, here's a place you don't often think of, may not have even heard of and probably can't find! Toby's, on South Dutch Mill (go under the Beltline southbound on Stoughton Road, take the first left and then another immediate left. Look for the packed parking lot.) Really good fish fry and they reliably offer blue gill as one of the choices, a real treat. It is a great bar scene, about as Monona/East Side as you can get. It is one of the last of the real, old fashioned roadhouse/supperclubs. And speaking of Old-Fashioned, they know how to do that, too. There won't be a table when you get there. So, order a drink, look for one of the many waitwomen, get a menu and "she'll be right back." And she will be! Give her your order, drink that Old Fashioned (Rye for me, but Maker's Mark will always do) order another drink and suddenly she'll come find you, seat you and bring a really crispy salad and a very traditional relish tray. Your darned good food will arrive soon and you'll have a very nice time. A designated driver isn't a bad idea, as the ladies and gentlemen w/the lights on their roofs are often nearby, simply because this is Beltline/Stoughton Rd/Broadway, etc and it IS Friday night. But don't let that scare you off; Toby's is a great old place. Enjoy!
tii

Postby Average Joe » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:28 pm

Has anyone tried Fitzgerald's in Middleton? I see their ads on TV every once in a while and checked out their menu online. Just wondering if it's worth a trip to Middleton. They sound like a traditional Wisconsin style Supper Club with fish fry on Friday, prime rib on Saturday and brunch buffet on Sunday.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:59 am

Re: Toby's

I've mentioned this before on the previous FF thread, but I dislike having to pre-order my meal at a sit-down restaurant before getting seated. That's just a way for them to assembly line more people through the door on a given night and takes away from my enjoyment of the meal experience. Anybody who's eaten there on a Friday know it's 3-deep around the bar and very crowded. Personally I find that uncomfortable.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:01 pm

Average Joe wrote:Has anyone tried Fitzgerald's in Middleton? I see their ads on TV every once in a while and checked out their menu online. Just wondering if it's worth a trip to Middleton. They sound like a traditional Wisconsin style Supper Club with fish fry on Friday, prime rib on Saturday and brunch buffet on Sunday.

I went to Fitzgerald's quite a few times when I first moved out to Middleton and I always had mixed but mostly good experiences. When we went on Fridays my father always loved the fish fry buffet. I can't speak to the fish since I've never been into that but I always liked their steaks and I thought the salad bar was pretty well stocked. Sometimes the service would be less than prompt and I recall being less than impressed with the drinks. These days I don't really enjoy the whole supper club thing like I used to and I push for trying something new, but I would go back without hesitation.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:19 am

I prefer carrying out to dining-in, and don't really like any fish besides cod, so maybe I'm not the best authority on the subect but -
I'm continually surprised that no one mentions The Maple Tree in McFarland when these Friday Night Fish Fry threads pop up.
Name drops of nearby Toby's, Green Lantern, and The Beach House but no Maple Tree?
That place has been a staple for my time in the Madison area. I've been eating their fried cod on occasion for over a decade!
Last edited by MadMind on Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:34 am

MadMind wrote:I don't like eating there...
I've been eating their fried cod on occasion for over a decade!

Does that mean you're a masochist?
Last edited by Henry Vilas on Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mock_talks » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:10 am

I agree, the Maple Tree does have a nice Friday night fish fry. They also have a salad bar! I'll be honest I've only been there twice, I haven't been there for awhile, but for sure need to visit them again. I know their breakfast was pretty good, but the walleye and eggs didn't hold a candle to the Beachhouse's.

Not to switch to a Saturday night topic in a Friday night thread, but how is their prime rib? I'm assuming they have the salad bar on Saturday as well.
mock_talks

Postby gemini child » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:24 am

I enjoy Quivey's Grove Fish Fry.
gemini child

Postby kweetech » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:39 pm

gemini child wrote:I enjoy Quivey's Grove Fish Fry.

quivey's has the best perch in town...
kweetech
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:59 pm

Mmmm...deep fried Sea Kitten.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:00 pm

I had a Filet O' Sea Kitten for lunch although I'm not sure exactly how much actual Sea Kitten they put in those.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:38 pm

Lunch Lady Doris wrote:There's very little Sea Kitten in these gym mats!
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mock_talks » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:33 am

Has anyone been to Tully's II for fish? I wanted to venture to a place I haven't been yet and this is on my list. The salad bar is what has me most intrigued.
mock_talks

Postby eriedasch » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:55 pm

mock_talks wrote:Has anyone been to Tully's II for fish? I wanted to venture to a place I haven't been yet and this is on my list. The salad bar is what has me most intrigued.

The wife and I walked in there a couple years ago and for some reason just turned around and left - weird smell or can't even remember why. Looking at the menu again it does look tempting - baked cod option, salad bar, and supposedly voted Monona's best fish fry (not sure by whom, but someone must like it). The Decider probably hints at what turned us off: http://madison.decider.com/restaurants/tullys-ii,49048/

Although I know looks can be deceiving, and another place not too far from Tully's II and similar atmosphere (but less sports-bar-ish) I've been impressed with for fish recently has been The South Bay Bar just off South Towne Drive. No salad bar, and pretty small, but very busy on fridays so their fish fry seems to be well received.
http://www.davessouthbaybar.com/
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mock_talks » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:50 pm

We did venture to Tullys II last night. Overall, for the price I thought it was a good fish fry. The all you can eat baked or fried cod was $10 including the salad bar. We were able to split half baked/half fried, which I really like to do as I like a taste of the batter, but I don't want a whole plateful of it...I need to save room for the rest of the feast. The baked cod was a bit cold when it arrived, it was okay, but not the highlight. The fried cod was perfectly brown and crispy. The batter was not too heavy. We all really enjoyed not only the first but the second and third batches that we tried.

The salad bar for sure made the trip worth it. A lot of fresh toppings, including garbanzo beans, hard-boiled eggs, cottage cheese, and diced ham which you don't see on every salad bar these days. Not only that, they also had homemade tuna pasta salad, potato salad and another pasta salad. Fresh bread too, I didn't partake as my salad plate was overflowing.

French fries and hashbrowns were both decent, a bit greasy on the hashbrowns, but really who's thinking about that when they are stuffing themselves on fried fish. The fries were thin, fast-food type, nice and crispy. Tarter sauce wasn't the best in town, but is pretty close. I didn't taste that overwhelming sweet relish flavor which is what turns me away from a lot of tarter sauces out there.

We got there a bit later, about 9 or so and we had no problem getting a table.

They offered a pretty big menu so if you aren't in the mood for fish there is definitely something that should tickle your fancy. I am looking forward to going back for some good bar food appetizers some day...they had a huge list! They also have daily specials including a surf and turf deal on Mondays for $20. I will definitely make a return trip for fish too!
mock_talks

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews