MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Veridian homes - worth it or not?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Veridian homes - worth it or not?

Postby tentaguasu » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:09 am

I've heard wildly divergent opinions about Veridian homes, everything from "they're a total nightmare" to "they are fine, nice quality starter homes".

I'm looking to build new. I can pay $280-$320. It seems as though they have about the easiest path to a semi-customized home.

If anyone has experience with them, I would really appreciate your thoughts.
tentaguasu

Re: Veridian homes - worth it or not?

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:08 am

You might want to consider checking out their inventory of existing homes. At one point not long ago I think they were drowning in unsold spec homes and if that's still the case you could probably get much more for your money that way.

A funny rumor that I heard about them once was that you could break into one simply by using a utility knife to cut right through a wall. I don't know if that implies that they don't use any substantial sheathing under the vinyl siding or what. If so then it could probably be done.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:00 am

Why would you even consider building when there are record numbers of brand new or barely lived in homes available at the lowest prices in years? Wish I could throw money around in this economy like you seem to be willing to.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:30 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Why would you even consider building when there are record numbers of brand new or barely lived in homes available at the lowest prices in years? Wish I could throw money around in this economy like you seem to be willing to.

Sheesh, it's his (or her) money. Ease up. In years past I'd dreamed of having a home built exactly to my specifications. Never did swing it, but it's not wrong to want that.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MagPie » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:39 pm

My husband and I moved into our new-build Veridian home in August. Overall, we're happy with the house and if/when we need a new house, we plan on building with Veridian again.

If you're a pretty indecisive person, it can be kind of stressful, but we don't regret building. There are plenty of little things to keep in mind that most people wouldn't think about until its too late. Example: in the neighborhood we built in, the mailboxes are in groups of 4 and only on one side of the street. So if you prefer having a mailbox in front of your house, as opposed to having it across the street, find out where the mailboxes will be in relation to your lot.

Our biggest hassle throughout the whole process was working with Bruce Co. (they're in charge of getting the lawn seeded, and they're the only company you can use if you want any other landscaping done before you close on the house). I wouldn't recommend using them for any landscaping beyond the lawn; wait until you move in and then find another company, or do it yourself.
MagPie

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:54 pm

I understand that if someone is set on building there will be convincing them otherwise but in the current market there is value you simply haven't been able to get in a long time. I think no matter how dead set you are on having things exactly your way it's stupid not to look for that value. It's out there. The last thing Madison needs is another Veridian home if you ask me.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:01 pm

Also the title of this thread is "Veridian homes - worth it or not?". I would have to answer a resounding NO. Why spend 300k to build when you can probably get a comparable home for 200k. Play with those numbers anyway you want the value is in a home that is already built and sitting empty and not in any new build.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:35 pm

Is it true they are allowing more than two colors, I mean shades of tan, for exterior finishes now?
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MagPie » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:14 pm

juanton wrote:Is it true they are allowing more than two colors, I mean shades of tan, for exterior finishes now?

There are actually several colors to choose from, including yellow, red, and teal.

fisticuffs wrote:Why spend 300k to build when you can probably get a comparable home for 200k. Play with those numbers anyway you want the value is in a home that is already built and sitting empty and not in any new build.

That's what we thought, too. But the financing options that Veridian offers help to cancel out the differences in purchase price.

However, something you might end up sacrificing is land. Most Veridian homes in that price range are going to be on pretty small lots. We don't have pets or kids, so a smaller lot means less grass to mow.
MagPie

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:13 pm

The thing about being able to cut through an exterior wall with a utility knife has been around for years. In reality, a certain amount of structural sheathing is necessary to resist forces that would throw the whole house out of plumb, and is therefore required by codes. If someone's going to break into your new house, they probably aren't coming through a hole they cut in the wall with a utility knife.

Smaller lots are not only less work, but are a way of reducing sprawl, if greenfield development is necessary at all.

I believe it is pretty much a buyer's market now, and a good time to do some serious dealing for your new home. Nobody knows where the bottom of the market is, but if you're in a position to buy why not go ahead? You've got to live someplace, so make it a place you like.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tentaguasu » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:34 pm

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it. If anyone else has other experiences I'd really appreciate them.

I'd like to build something with some ability to customize, yet not go through the utter hassle that custom building seems to entail. And at a reasonable price point. Hence Veridian.
tentaguasu

Postby Bellwether » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:44 pm

snoqueen wrote:The thing about being able to cut through an exterior wall with a utility knife has been around for years. In reality, a certain amount of structural sheathing is necessary to resist forces that would throw the whole house out of plumb, and is therefore required by codes. If someone's going to break into your new house, they probably aren't coming through a hole they cut in the wall with a utility knife.

Sno's right on this -- been around a long, long time. Used to own a house in Fitchburg, built about 15 years ago by Kegonsa Builders. It wasn't sheathed with plywood or pressboard on the long walls -- just at the corners, to keep it true, and above/below windows/doors. Friends of ours remodeled the basement of their then-one-year-old Princeton home (this was 4 years ago) and were shocked to find no "board" between the siding and the drywall, just moisture barrier and insulation, along the long walls. It's common, and it's not just Veridian.
Bellwether
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:13 pm

Bellwether wrote: It's common, and it's not just Veridian.

I should have stated this in my original anecdote. Veridian does not have a corner on the market of cutting corners.

And thanks for confirming that it is true in some instances. It was just a rumor to me. As Snoqueen says, most likely someone isn't coming in through your wall, but I have to believe that's partially because the option is not well known. Vinyl siding cuts like butter and even the thickest drywall is two kicks from being a hole. I have to say that my old walls of plaster/lathe, actual board sheathing, wood siding, and asbestos tiles don't keep the cold out so well, but nobody's coming through them either.

This shouldn't factor in their decision though. Build a new house! You'll probably love it. The thoughts of a new house often enter my mind as I'm tacking up more insulation in my crawlspace and breathing 100 year old dust, gingerly handling the ancient wires that come out of my ceiling fixtures, and trying to enjoy the three minute intervals when my furnace is actually off.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:46 pm

You should seriously consider an earlier poster's response about all of the new houses out there already for sale. You should look at them carefully with a view to what could be changed to make it 'your design'. I'll bet you could make a hell of a deal on an already existing new house, get most of what you want anyway and still have enough $$ left over to make several changes which would customize it for your needs/wants.
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:50 pm

Help control the house population. Have your Veridian Rep spayed or neutered. I bet there's a beautiful Veridian Home or 20 out there someone just like you built 3 years ago and couldn't afford.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe