MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Oscar Nominations

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Re: Oscar Nominations

Postby AaronTheSnob » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:10 am

Shipley wrote:Saw Dark Knight again at IMAX, currently in re-release at star. $25 for 2 tickets: outrageous!

But still one of the best movies made in any year. The Academy is obsolete if it cannot recognize this.

We all have our own barometers by which we just what is "best". "Best" for us is often not "best" for someone else. I personally thought Dark Knight was very entertaining and Ledger was terrific (as was Aaron Eckhart), although I cannot stand to look at Maggie Gyllenhaal. But Academy Award material? Not for me.

I am one of those rare types who likes to be emotionally or intellectually touched by a movie...i.e., "Schindler's List", "The Lives of Others", "Rachel Getting Married", "Requiem For A Dream"...those are the types of films that push my buttons, personally. Not sure about those in the Academy...I would guess a mixture.
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:35 am

You wear your snob moniker well.

I was emotionally touched, scared, and excited at various points in the movie. I guess I'll just have to settle for the fact that more people think its better.

Rotten Tomatoes ratings.
Schindler's List - 96%
The Lives of Others -93%
Rachel Getting Married -87%
Requiem For a Dream -78%
The Dark Knight - 94%

I'll grant your Schindler's List is a better reviewed movie, But I only watched it once. Only wanted to watch it once. Never considered owning the DVD. Ditto for the rest of these. Dark Knight is a movie I'll be watching a couple times a year for the rest of my life. A film's power is more just its initial gut reaction, it can also be measured in its ability to make you want to go back again and again.

Again, I didn't expect it to win, but I thought the stuffed shirts in the academy would at least nominate the movie.
Star Wars, one of the most objectively terrible movies ever made (though a visual effects masterpiece) got nominated for Best Picture, Director, and Screenplay in 1978. Surely The Dark Knight is better than anything even produced by George Lucas.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:24 am

Shipley wrote:You wear your snob moniker well.

I was emotionally touched, scared, and excited at various points in the movie. I guess I'll just have to settle for the fact that more people think its better.

Rotten Tomatoes ratings.
Schindler's List - 96%
The Lives of Others -93%
Rachel Getting Married -87%
Requiem For a Dream -78%
The Dark Knight - 94%

I'll grant your Schindler's List is a better reviewed movie, But I only watched it once. Only wanted to watch it once. Never considered owning the DVD. Ditto for the rest of these. Dark Knight is a movie I'll be watching a couple times a year for the rest of my life. A film's power is more just its initial gut reaction, it can also be measured in its ability to make you want to go back again and again.

Again, I didn't expect it to win, but I thought the stuffed shirts in the academy would at least nominate the movie.
Star Wars, one of the most objectively terrible movies ever made (though a visual effects masterpiece) got nominated for Best Picture, Director, and Screenplay in 1978. Surely The Dark Knight is better than anything even produced by George Lucas.

i think you'd really like willow, if you gave it a chance.

on another serious snub note, eddie marsan totally should have been nominated for happy go lucky.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:09 am

Wholly agree. I usually only see a few "popcorn" movies a year on the big screen (last year it was DK and Iron Man), but the IMAX format for Dark Knight was amazing and well worth the extra dough I ponied up. And yeah, it was an excellent film as well. In other news, I guess Meryl Streep's performance in "Doubt" was so top notch that it transcended all the mixed reviews that the film received. Hm. I think Anne Hathaway probably got robbed out of a SAG award and a GG. To be fair, I have yet to see "Doubt" or either of the Winslet films (all are Netflix worthy based on the mixed reviews), but Hathaway was nothing short of brilliant in "Rachel Getting Married."

Loved "The Wrestler" and will see "Milk" soon Aaron. Missed the start time yesterday by 20 minutes so we did "Wrestler" instead, definitely was not disappointed.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:12 am

too bad the wrestler was marred by a sub par theme song. :roll:
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:50 pm

depinmad wrote:
i think you'd really like willow, if you gave it a chance.

When Star Wars knocked Kurasowa, at least Lucas had the sense to put his samurai in space. When he ripped off Lord Of The Rings, he only changed the names!
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:20 pm

I heard this morning Mickey Rourke is going to Wrestlemania for a title match with Chris Jericho.

Give this man the Oscar. Langella won't be doing Nixon more, Penn won't be making appearances as Milk, and Brad Pitt isn't going to start aging backwards. But Randy The Ram is getting in the ring again.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NYK007 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:50 am

Hi,
Jimmy from Canada. I am newbie in this site. As we know that the Oscar awards is the best awards in film industry. All over the world take part in Oscar. Thanks for the information about nominated movie.
Jimmy

Admin edit: Jimmy has had the spam taken out.
NYK007

Postby AaronTheSnob » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:44 am

Well, we've all got our favorites, whatever they may be.

I do not, however, think that "box office" or popularity with the public in general should be a gauge by which either nominations nor awards are given.
"Best" does not necessarily equate to "most popular".
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:02 am

Duh, no one said that. When a great film does garner box office or popularity, should it be held against said film? I'm sorry, but the fairly low ratings of The Reader (60%) and Benny Button (72%) do not support an argument against Dark Knight (94%) as a BP nom. Nominating artsier movies just because they are artsy is as silly as nominating based on box office. 2 out of the 5 best pictures of the year couldn't even get an 75% approval rating from critics? I haven't seen either film (for obvious reasons), but I doubt that when they do show up in my Netflix queue that I will be convinced that they deserve to be BP noms over Dark Knight. The Wrestler should be on that list too IMO.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:34 pm

I'd put Batman The Animated series against The Reader.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Movies