MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
pax
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Juno Revisited

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Re: Juno Revisited

Postby pjbogart » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:43 am

I like "Garden State." Teen angst movies are rather shallow almost by definition. I liked "Igby Goes Down" too, along the same lines.

If we're nominating pretentiously terrible movies that got way too much hype, "Sideways" takes the gold, silver and bronze.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:34 am

I can see that, but some of the lines hit me pretty hard. So I like it.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:13 pm

pjbogart wrote:If we're nominating pretentiously terrible movies that got way too much hype, "Sideways" takes the gold, silver and bronze.

I liked Sideways. Mucho delicious pain of recognition. The Paul Giamatti character is not as smart as he thinks he is.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bigredhunk » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:59 pm

I agree with OP & boston_jeff, this movie is highly overrated. I liked it when I saw it. The constant hype made me like it less.

Every year there's a movie you HAVE to see, HAVE to love. Two years ago it was "Little Miss Sunshine." Last year it was "Juno." This year it's "Slumdog." All fine movies, none worthy of Best Picture consideration.

Watching "Juno" on HBO, my opinion of it went down even more. Its pretentiousness is not cute or loveable. It's annoying. "This is one doodle that can't be undid homeskillet." "Honest to blog?" Ellen Page is a good actor, but c'mon. I didn't find her funny or wise beyond her years. I found her annoying (there's that word again).

The movie's got some good aspects. I liked the parents (doesn't hurt that I like JK Simmons & Allison Janney a lot). Bateman was good. It's not all bad. But I fail to see how making up your own cute'sy little dialogue makes something good. It's different, you haven't heard it before. I think that's why people liked it and thought it was original.

To me the really excellent movies are the ones which make you feel something each time you see them. They may not be something you'd care to watch repeatedly. But, if you see it again, it still gets you. I just saw "Brokeback" again. Still gets me.

Not a big fan of this one. I think B- fits it pretty well.
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Postby Bigredhunk » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:05 pm

Still haven't seen "Garden State." I hated "The Last Kiss." Admittedly, I don't like Zack Braff. More specifically though, I hate characters who have it all yet are still loaded with angst. Great paying job you like, check. Gorgeous girl you love and who loves you, check. Support and great relationships of/with friends and family, check. But, damn, I'm not 30 yet and my whole life feels decided for me. Cry me a fuckin' river.

It's one thing if your life truly sucks. It's another thing entirely when you have it all and are unhappy. Then you're just an asshole.
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:07 pm

I'm wondering if I will feel this way re: "Slumdog" in a year. I like to think its a better film than Sunshine or Juno.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bigredhunk » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:08 pm

I think "Waitress" was a bit hyped because of Adrienne Shelly's death. Same goes for Ledger. He was phenomenal, but I think there's an extra bump because he died.

I liked "Waitress." I love Ledger's portrayal of The Joker.
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Postby Bigredhunk » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:14 pm

Anybody read Diablo Cody's articles in "EW?" Hers are the only ones I can't stand.
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:23 pm

Bigredhunk wrote:Anybody read Diablo Cody's articles in "EW?" Hers are the only ones I can't stand.

I read them, and I typically enjoy them. Stephen King's column I can't stand. To each their own!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bigredhunk » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:41 pm

That's funny. King's I generally like.

Oh well. I guess it's a good thing people are different. What a boring world it would be if that weren't the case.
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Movies