MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 39.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Transferring Files Between PC's

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby MadMind » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:27 am

Beer Moon wrote:I'm suggesting he takes out the hard drive and plugs it into an external hard drive case - and just takes that drive directly over to the laptop.

I don't suppose they sell cheap hard drive case's at place's like Best Buy etc. so I can skip out on S&H?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:23 am

I doubt it. The one I linked is $23 with shipping.

Since Best Buy sells HDMI cables for $100, I would venture to say that even if they had a small, simple item like a drive enclosure, it would probably cost 1000x what it should.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Re:

Postby MadMind » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:06 am

Beer Moon wrote:I'm suggesting he takes out the hard drive and plugs it into an external hard drive case - and just takes that drive directly over to the laptop.

That external hard drive case is now a deactivated item.
I don't suppose you could find me another cheap IDE to USB 2.0 external enclosure?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Re:

Postby Scotty » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:40 am

MadMind wrote:

I don't suppose you could find me another cheap IDE to USB 2.0 external enclosure?

Newegg.com shows the same unit in the color black in stock.

(Black Aluminum & plastic)

The unit doesn't come with instructions. There are some tech tips given by the positive reviewers of this product.
Scotty
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:26 pm

Scotty wrote:
MadMind wrote:

Newegg.com shows the same unit in the color black in stock.

(Black Aluminum & plastic)

The unit doesn't come with instructions. There are some tech tips given by the positive reviewers of this product.

The review that worries me the most;
"It damaged my hard drive and I lost all my data."
Though I really don't see how an enclosure could cause a hard drive to lose it's data?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:38 am

MadMind wrote:The review that worries me the most;
"It damaged my hard drive and I lost all my data."
Though I really don't see how an enclosure could cause a hard drive to lose it's data?

Maybe it has magnets in it to hold the hard drive in place. lol. More likely - he is a moron. He listed it as difficult to set up. You plug in your hard drive, you plug in the power, and stick the USB cord into the back of your computer. It's like legos - except easier because the interfaces are designed to only get plugged in one way - the right way.

Do not let one moron dissuade you from this piece of plastic with IDE, USB and power connectors.

However, the Rosewill enclosures do seem to have a number of negative reviews. There are more expensive drives available with far better reviews (and many more reviews as well).

You'll PROBABLY be fine with the cheap one. If you are worried, throw a few more bucks at it and get one that is better reviewed. This one is $22 and has many positive reviews.

I assume you are looking for a one-time device, and not something to run a drive off of 24/7. I wouldn't expect too many years of service out of a $15 enclosure.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:15 pm

Beer Moon wrote:This one is $22 and has many positive reviews.

Looking at whatever's on Newegg now for around the same price, is the aforementioned product still the best option? And yes, Beer Moon, I do need you to hold my hand.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Transferring Files Between PC's

Postby MadMind » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:10 pm

I changed my mind. Either I'm going to figure out how to network a decade-old desktop running Win98 SE with a laptop running Vista, or I'm going to go old school and burn roughly 35 data-disc's.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:31 pm

Good Luck!
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:01 pm

MadMind wrote:I changed my mind. Either I'm going to figure out how to network a decade-old desktop running Win98 SE with a laptop running Vista, or I'm going to go old school and burn roughly 35 data-disc's.

If you could work in some protective goggles and perhaps a zeppelin, this would be a crowning achievement in Rube Goldbergian steampunk.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:10 pm

35 discs actually doesn't seem so bad to me. I did floppy backups like that in the days of yore. Ah, 1993.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:54 pm

every time I see this thread I marvel at the apostrophe and think "Transferring files between PC's what?"
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:47 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:35 discs actually doesn't seem so bad to me. I did floppy backups like that in the days of yore. Ah, 1993.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. But it is time-consuming, especially considering that since burning audio-CD's at anything faster than 12x on this PC has been known to cause error's, I stick to that same rule of thumb for data-disc's (12x).
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Scotty » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:30 pm

140 days, 58 posts. And still no files moved.
How long does it take you to cook bacon? (grin)
Scotty
Forum Addict

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:45 pm

The whole Great Pyramid of Cheops was built in less time than it takes MM to move his precious po... er, "files".

That's why I admire a man like, say, Ghenghis Khan. Now there was a fellow who could get things done.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Technology & Video Games