MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

A flood tide of music in too many simple steps

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

A flood tide of music in too many simple steps

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:59 pm

Problem: I like to listen to music when I work out, but I hate all my tunes.

Possible solution: Charter streams music into my home at all hours via the Music Choice digital cable channels. Could be some interesting stuff there. And I'm paying for it. (Does anyone ever listen to these channels?) But how to get these tunes onto my mp3 player for el gimnasio?

Answer: Use my PC running the Beyond TV DVR software, which I mostly use to record "That '70s Show" reruns, plus "What Not To Wear." Configure Beyond TV to tune the Music Choice channels, which are available as unencrypted QAM. Record Music Choice channels, which show up in hour-long blocks in the program guide. Helpful. When programs are done recording, copy Beyond TV's .tp video files to my main PC. Use the freeware SUPER video encoding program to extract the .tp files' audio to mp3s. (That last step was the trickiest. Other programs I tried, and I tried many, didn't grok the .tp files.) Load mp3s onto mp3 player. Enjoy Animotion's "Room to Move." Whoops! Don't record the '80s channel.

This took the better part of a weekend to figure out.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Re: A flood tide of music in too many simple steps

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:53 pm

Depending on your phone - slingbox is another option.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:09 pm

Great idea, though I'm trying to get things working with my ultra crappy no-name mp3 player for now. But didn't I see you post on another thread about how recording those music channels might be not so kosher? I got worried.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:27 pm

We use the Charter music channels, mainly when we're cleaning the house or doing dishes. I tend to switch between the R&B/Soul channels, and my wife likes the 80s-90s pop. My dad regularly tunes to the big band stuff at their house.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:42 pm

I think the cheapest and easiest way is to connect an MP3 player with line-in recording to the TV while you have the music channel on. Records directly to the MP3 player. But is it legal to record music from the TV?:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=45229
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:51 pm

Shorty wrote:I think the cheapest and easiest way is to connect an MP3 player with line-in recording to the TV while you have the music channel on. Records directly to the MP3 player. But is it legal to record music from the TV?:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=45229

I was doing that at first, but I wouldn't be an incorrigible tinkerer if I didn't look for complicated and time-consuming alternatives to cheap and easy approaches.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:01 am

I see. Also, doing it my way with line-in, most MP3 players save the music as WMA or WAV files. Only a few create MP3 files directly.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games