MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Neat Fees?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: Neat Fees?

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:17 pm

Sorry to threadjack. Buckyor, know of any places to watch Packer games in the Portland, ME area?
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby misterlinguistr » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:46 pm

After I read this I couldn't get it out of my head and took the topic with me to work last night, bartending. Everyone I know agrees this is the most idiotic thing the Blue Marlin could do. The owner frequents the bar I work at and he's a nice guy. I can't wait to hit him with this, though. I mean, what the heck is he thinking?! I've heard of places adding on charges for rocks. I think that, too, is nutty but neat fees really take the cake. Wow.
misterlinguistr

Postby buckyor » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:25 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Sorry to threadjack. Buckyor, know of any places to watch Packer games in the Portland, ME area?

Wow, can't believe I missed this one.

Offhand, I don't know. I live in Bangor, 2 hours north, so don't usually go that far to watch the Pack. Fortunately I have about 8 months to come up with an answer.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:25 am

We have friends from here who are moving to Portland in a few months. She was curious about the Packer games. I assume anyplace with Sunday Ticket would work, but I thought you might know of a specific joint. Bangor is a ways from there!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:54 am

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:58 pm

boston_jeff wrote:We have friends from here who are moving to Portland in a few months. She was curious about the Packer games. I assume anyplace with Sunday Ticket would work, but I thought you might know of a specific joint. Bangor is a ways from there!

The one place in Portland that I know has the Ticket is Rivalries, which is right downtown, about a block from the Cumberland County Civic Center, where the Portland Pirates play hockey. Never been there, so I can't tell you how good the place is, but I know they get the games. It is also about a block from a pretty good Irish bar called Brian Boru, which I have been to on many occasions.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:02 pm

Thanks, I will pass it along.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Elliot » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:30 pm

Just a thought, but they may add a fee for neat and for rocks (as opposed to a 1.5 ounce pour like in a mixed drink). If they use the POS Aloha, they modify the liquor and it comes up on the ticket as
Scotch
-NEAT
This would be as opposed to
Scotch
-ROCKS
which would make you think they just charge for neat if that's all you order, but they're really just charging for more booze and instructing the bartender how the customer wishes the booze to come. As I said before, this makes sense if they list the 1.5 ounce price for the scotch and they pour you 2 or more ounces. You may find it dishonest, I agree, but that may be the justification.
Elliot
Forum Addict

Postby david cohen » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:00 pm

So basically what ya'll are saying is that the next time our spouse requests "no ice" in the bedroom, we can charge her an extra 2 bucks for being "neat"?;)
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:01 pm

ooops! anyone have a spare room to rent on the busline?
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails