MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

What's your story idea?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

What's your story idea?

Postby jjoyce » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:55 pm

Our editorial staff meets every month or so for the purpose of brainstorming and developing ideas for future stories. I've pitched story ideas I've heard from friends before and figured it might be cool to open this concept up to Foronia.

So post your ideas here or, if you don't want anyone getting wind of a particularly awesome one, email it to me at joyce@isthmus.com.

I'll keep you updated on what happens.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What's your story idea?

Postby bluethedog » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:16 pm

"The Life and Times of George Dreckmann".

Seriously, I've always been fascinated with everything the Streets & Recycling department does.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:58 pm

how about another story about pat macdonald. it's been a good five minutes since the last one.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:40 pm

Ben Masel profile
El Donk
life of a pizza driver
late-night DJs
Park Street
flower shops
blunt the unemployable
Undercover: The Rising Sun
what up w/ Que Sera?
inside Isthmus' basement
gar: Lake Mendota's scariest fish
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:54 pm

Do a 24 hour ride along with a Madison cabbie. Maybe it's already been done, but I don't recall.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crow » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:00 pm

Honestly, I want more local politics. And I'm not talking issues. dammit. I want dirt! City council meetings tell you nothing. I read the comments here and in comments on madison.com, but that's just like the gossip I hear at bars, however much there may be.

I want tabloid-style "items!" on the city council, the county board, and the state legislature. I want Daniel Bice mixed with Playground Politics blended with The Superficial. From the schmuck who's sleeping around to the dumbest person elected to whichever one is the worst tipper. I WANT DIRT!

I am a shallow politico. So sue me.
Crow
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:15 pm

An inside, no-holds-barred look at how desperate you have to be to ask Forons for story ideas. I mean, Christ!

How about finding out what the toilet paper preferences of some top local celebrities are? Who wouldn't want to know what brand Susan Siman favors, and why? And just how environmentally conscious IS Brenda Konkel's choice of tissue? Inquiring minds want to know!

That's gold my friend. You don't even have to pay me.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Renee Gabel » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:24 pm

gargantua wrote:How about finding out what the toilet paper preferences of some top local celebrities are? Who wouldn't want to know what brand Susan Siman favors, and why? And just how environmentally conscious IS Brenda Konkel's choice of tissue? Inquiring minds want to know!

That's gold my friend. You don't even have to pay me.

I know of at least one local celebrity that uses this brand of toilet tissue.

Email me if you want more details.
Renee Gabel
Forum Addict

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:30 am

depinmad wrote:how about another story about pat macdonald. it's been a good five minutes since the last one.

I was just thinking the same thing. Just can't get enough of that guy.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:08 am

-Don't Bon Iver and Neil Gaiman both write/create in remote WI workspaces? Maybe a profile of one or both? If I've missed pieces like these, I apologize.

-A juicy piece on Bielema, like really juicy. You know the dirt is there, go find it.

-An in-depth investigation of racial attitudes in Madison.

-A series on WI road trips (or bike trips) from Madison. Places to visit, including where to stay and eat, and attractions (New Glarus, Taliesin, the Dells/Devil's Lake, etc.).

A little less whining about the death of the newspaper industry. We are aware, and it sucks, but its getting to be ubiquitous and a bit tiresome.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:58 pm

gargantua wrote: How about finding out what the toilet paper preferences of some top local celebrities are?

With a side bar on crumple/fold preferences.

The thread about the new modern house on Willy st. could evolve into an article on the challenges of trying to build modern in older neighborhoods. I know someone who has done a few in Madison and at times has faced severe backlash from neighboring homeowners.

Something about the Mullins family and whether or not there is any kind of long range plan for all the under-used property they sit on.

Take us on a tour of King st. area businesses, circa the mid 70's. I know a couple of people who would be great sources of knowledge for this.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:34 pm

What a sleazy underhanded way of sucking good ideas out of good people for free.
jjoyburns:
you have been offered countless ideas countless times and you never even acknowledge them or express an interest or even indifference or say thanks or no thanks and now .....you feel you gotta panhandle for more?!?
Don't let him take advanatage of you, fellow Forons.
If you feel you can't write yourself, send me your ideas and I'll write them up for dane101.com.
Your ideas are more important than being wasted tossed onto a drowning ship.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:31 am

blunt wrote:What a sleazy underhanded way of sucking good ideas out of good people for free.
jjoyburns:
you have been offered countless ideas countless times and you never even acknowledge them or express an interest or even indifference or say thanks or no thanks and now .....you feel you gotta panhandle for more?!?
Don't let him take advanatage of you, fellow Forons.
If you feel you can't write yourself, send me your ideas and I'll write them up for dane101.com.
Your ideas are more important than being wasted tossed onto a drowning ship.

Best. Job. Application. Ever.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:43 pm

blunt wrote:What a sleazy underhanded way of sucking good ideas out of good people for free.

Indeed. Asking for ideas as a means of soliciting ideas. How underhanded.

The nerve.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:58 pm

Blunt IS your story idea. Heck, he's a weekly column. That guy's a walking reality show.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com