MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Oscars Thoughts

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Oscars Thoughts

Postby Bigredhunk » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:52 am

How does everyone feel about the winners? Jackman??
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Re: Oscars Thoughts

Postby Shipley » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:30 am

Kate Winslet was handed a statue for her 6th and weakest nomination in a film weaker than anything else nominated.

Change has come to America, but Hollywood is politics as usual.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:29 am

I found the show as a whole the most enjoyable in many years. Hugh Jackman was a terrific host. I enjoyed them bringing back the musical numbers.

I agree about Kate Winslet. Much as I like her, I really don't think she deserved the Oscar for that role. For my money, I would have preferred seeing Anne Hathaway get it for "Rachel Getting Married".

Was very happy to see Penn get the award for "Milk."

Penelope Cruz? Strange choice, IMO.

Heath Ledger was a shoo-in, but I think the award itself was more a belated response on the part of the Academy for his role in "Brokeback Mountain" than for "Dark Knight" which, while the best thing about the movie, was not (at least for me) as Oscar-worthy performance.

I was hoping "Milk" would take Best Picture. "Slumdog" was good, but I felt "Milk" was a more ambitious, involving and thoughtful film. Maybe that has to do with the fact that it was more personal for me, since I lived right there in the midst of it all in S.F. during that time.
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:43 am

milk had a great performance by sean penn and a very interesting story to tell. but it was clunky and awkward in spots that should be unforgivable when giving out best picture awards. seriously, did we really need to cut back at the end to the scene where he's in bed and predicts his own death?
slumdog was a thrillingly put together piece of cinema. the real unspoken crime is that none of the actors got nominated, because the movie is full of wonderfully engaging performances.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies