Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
pax
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

TORPEDO DESTROYS ASYLUM!!!

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

TORPEDO DESTROYS ASYLUM!!!

Postby blunt » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:35 pm

Without question and entirely beyond discussion, Sierra Nevada's new Tornado American IPA easily displaces Hopalicious as the liquid grain most likely to be found in my storage tank.
Tornado is rifuckindiculously drinkable and leaves my mouth light, enjoyable and pleasing to others, rather than the stenchtrench left in the wake of Hopalicious.
Potent? At 7.2% it's butcher and brainier than anything else out there and still miraculously able to retain a silken panther palate.
And it creates such an intelligent drunk!
I was incredibly Hasselhoffed last night but never yelled "woo" once.

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/torpedo.html
Last edited by blunt on Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Re: TORNADO DESTROYS ASYLUM!!!

Postby hi, i'm new here » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:47 pm

The torpedo sounds good, too.
hi, i'm new here

Postby kweetech » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:47 pm

lol...we are already know your beer tastes are out of whack...
but at least get the name right
kweetech
Forum Addict

Postby blunt » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:50 pm

See? It works. Real good.
I'm still drunk.
At least my hilarious headline works with both names.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Re: TORPEDO DESTROYS ASYLUM!!!

Postby rrnate » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:24 am

I'd like to second that - Torpedo is so very, very delicious.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:54 pm

I drank 4 of these on Friday night...along with 2 dozen raw oysters...great combo, no hangover, quite a nice beer when quaffed at 55 degrees(garage temp)! I also like their Wet Hop Ale that is making the rounds in the big bottles:)
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:21 pm

blunt wrote:Image
Without question and entirely beyond discussion, Sierra Nevada's new Tornado American IPA easily displaces Hopalicious as the liquid grain most likely to be found in my storage tank.
Tornado is rifuckindiculously drinkable and leaves my mouth light, enjoyable and pleasing to others, rather than the stenchtrench left in the wake of Hopalicious.
Potent? At 7.2% it's butcher and brainier than anything else out there and still miraculously able to retain a silken panther palate.
And it creates such an intelligent drunk!
I was incredibly Hasselhoffed last night but never yelled "woo" once.

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/torpedo.html

With all due respect. One is an IPA. The other is an American Pale Ale. While not quite the same as apples and oranges, they are not intended to be in competition with one another.

Wait until Ale Asylum's Ballistic IPA comes out. At least you'd be comparing the same style.

FWIW, I do like SN Torpedo, just taking exception to what I see as an inapt comparison.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:43 pm

With all due and even some extra respect:
Hoppalicious and Torpedo are both America Pale Ales.
Don't get it twisted.
There used to be a discernable historic genuine difference.
Buty now is the era of simple cluelessness about IPAs and Pal Ales, and their subsequent merging.
Simplified:
IPA (India Pale Ales) were brewed to be able to survive hot desert temps while colonialist soldiers both learned from and destroyed Indian culture.
Didn't need refrigeration, no carbonation to speak of (not to be confused with Anchor Steam, whose bubbles grow within......) and taste a lot like Paris Hilton shit might after a night of x and champagne.
American Pale Ale is lighter, smoother, mor acute and bubbly.
The big difference: drinkabilty.

My comparison (and all personal comarisons are subjective; each of our personal fleshbucket chemistry differs. I'm the guy thhat likes sour and salty, while you may be that sweet and chocolate dork.)
Torpedo alchemizes my chemistry making me drunker, smarter, and ready for social communication or paradigm-shattering artistic creation that Hopalicious, which is much more metallic tasting and leaves one with an eventual headache if not careful.
And while Torpedo has a higher booze content than Hopalicious, I can drink a Torpedo and go to work.
Hopalicious makes me have to bruch my teeth.

To summarize:
I can't tell you what beer sucks; that's something we judge using our own alchemical bunsen burner.
But Torpedo satisfies, creates genius, and is drinkable 24-7.
Hopalicious is great, bitter like asparagus sweat, eventually feels like a mysterious clamp from Dead Ringers has been tightened around your head.

TORPEDO!!!!!!!!
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:29 pm

Blunt, if they are both American Pale Ales, why does Sierra Nevada call theirs an India Pale Ale? It says so right on the six pack. Are you contending that they don't know what kind of beer they're selling you? Or they do know and they're being dishonest about it? I have a lot of respect for Sierra Nevada so I think it more likely that it is really an IPA like they say it is.

Cheers!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:24 pm

Gotta go with gargantua on this one. If it says "IPA" on the label, by definition it's not an American Pale Ale. "American IPA" means nothing other than it's an India Pale Ale brewed in America.

They may be equally hoppy, but the IPA is sure to have a higher alcohol content. So yeah, not a fair comparison really.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:06 pm

Mean Scenester wrote: "American IPA" means nothing other than it's an India Pale Ale brewed in America.

Not quite -- it also means it's brewed with local American ingredients. All hops, for example, are not created equal. Ditto malts.

Mean Scenester wrote:They may be equally hoppy, but the IPA is sure to have a higher alcohol content.

Absolutely, IPAs have a higher ABV than APAs, but the "equally hoppy" part could depend on whether you're drinking a British IPA or an American one. American versions tend be bolder and hoppier than their transatlantic counterparts.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:01 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Mean Scenester wrote: "American IPA" means nothing other than it's an India Pale Ale brewed in America.

Not quite -- it also means it's brewed with local American ingredients. All hops, for example, are not created equal. Ditto malts.

You're right, of course. I guess I thought that was implied in the name.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote: ... but the "equally hoppy" part could depend on whether you're drinking a British IPA or an American one. American versions tend be bolder and hoppier than their transatlantic counterparts.

You mean whoever told me "hops is hops" was lying?!
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:49 am

If we want to be technical about this, they are two distinct styles. However, especially in America, such distinctions are often bastardized in the name of marketing (yes, even by microbreweries!). A hoppy American pale ale isn't intended to be a hoppy IPA (alcohol differences of course). But hell, it's all good....
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kweetech » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:51 pm

an American IPA made with bastardized german hops??
oh my! we need a new name for this one...

I'm usually not a big fan of SN beers, or any other fancy pants west coast wannabee beer, but may have to give this one a try. (and being an IPA, may not get that shelf rot like SNPA does by the time it hits the midwest) It uses a bunch of newer style hops, including citra..which apparently has never been used in a commercial brew before?

need to try the ballistic from AA too..its on tap now...
I have some drinking to do.
kweetech
Forum Addict

Postby blunt » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:04 pm

Sweet, professor mean cohen!
The last few answers congeal into one big better answer than I could come up with: The usa/european/neo hops plus marketing is why.
Sierra Nevada also explains the whole reason they call it American IPA
right in the ads on the box and website.
And as with almost everything:
Do you really want the actual traditional?
True IPAs in my experience have been flat undrinkable brown matter.
I'm kinda partial toward tweaked crap. I don't give a good goddam whether something is true or false as long as it works.
I got no problem loving the one-of-a-kind Thai rolls from an actual authentic family at Triangle Fest AND the Ten Ingredient Fried Rice at Chins on State Street.

And I don't subscribe the competition between "wannabes" or local/foreign beers, ar any of that.
I just likes what I likes.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails